Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 20,820 times

Advertisements

Hey There,

I just had an interview today (Friday afternoon) in the financial district of Downtown Tampa on Ashley Dr. and it went really well. I would be working at the Wells Fargo building downtown.

I am in town until Sunday afternoon and want to make the most of my time here and check out some areas to live, since I won't be back here before I have to make a decision as to whether or not to accept the offer. If I move here I will have plenty of time to check out the night life.... But, I would greatly appreciate your advice and feedback:

Here are some things to consider:

I am a 30 year old male.

I love playing volleyball on the beach and getting involved in any kind of outdoor social or recreation volleyball organization.

While I am a young professional, I don't want to live in a high rise or downtown. I wold like to come downtown on occasion, but I grew up in the suburbs and would prefer a laid back beach atmosphere. I would like to minimize the traffic and commute into downtown, but also again I would prefer not to live downtown too.

I sounds like St. Pete's is the place to be.... but I don't here much about Clearwater... any particular reason?

Thanks so much in advance to taking the time to read and provide your insight.

Best Regards,

jhaze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Be aware its a long drive from the beaches to downtown Tampa.
While you are here make the run from Johns Pass to where you'll be working downtown Tampa and then think of doing it twice a day indefinitely,bearing in mind its going to be a whole lot more crowded in rush hours=Gulf Blvd to Selmon Expressway - Google Maps

Old 09-28-2012, 03:54 PM

37 posts, read 77,217 times
Probably your easiest commute to downtown Tampa would be Pass A Grille/St Pete Beach.
They are both easy access to the interstate & volleyball is a favorite pastime.

Not such an easy commute from Clearwater Beach to downtown Tampa, but I would suggest
that you do a mapquest for both.

Please feel free to DM me for more info on popular volleyball hangouts or property info.

Have a fantastic Friday!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 PM

12 posts, read 20,820 times
Thanks so much for the speedy replies.

I'm not familar with the local names for the roads that connect St. Pete and Clearwater to Tampa, but google maps shows them as 92, 275 and 60. I am assuming that 275 is my best bet? Still trying to find Pass A Grille/ St. Pete beach and Johns Pass on google maps

@jambo101: My concern exactly. I guess I don't have to be on or near the beach, but I don't want to be downtown for sure and I want more of the beach or carribbean feel, with laid back and nice people and/or a nicer area with newer construction, as I'm not into the high rises and clubbing scene.

@mystpete: Thanks for the tips. The place that keeps coming up is Club V, which appears to be a club that you join and they have 21 beach courts or so. Do you recommend them That is located in Panellas, I believe, which seems like it would cut down on the time, if I lived near there vs. Clearwater (and save clearwater for the weekends). Is is legal to setup a temporrary net on any the beaches? I would love to hear about any volleyball and social clubs or recreation clubs where I could meet fun people with good attitudes. Please DM me

Both:
I am going to be looking for an apartment, as well, which I forgot to mention and i really prefer new or newer properties, if that helps. Just a general area to visit would help a lot for my sight seeing trip tomorrow. Any areas like Riveria Bay, Feathers Sound or Panellas Park preferable to my tastes?

BTW: In terms of volleyball... I am a solid BB player, who sometimes play A in terms of my volleyball skills and I currently play in a league and play in tournaments in Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC.

Finally, is the carribbean blue water all on the gulf side? I saw a picture of clearwater beach in my hotel room and it looked like the carribbean waters I have visited. Any idea how far north and south those beatiful waters continue (not miles, just approx.).

Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
if u work downtown and are a single straight 30 yr old male then get a place in the hyde park area in south tampa, for 1300/month or so u can get a great bachelor pad near the best attempt at nightlife/singles scene tampa has and commute out to the beach on weekends. living at the beach is pretty dead, mostly retirees, vagrants and tourists. the volleyball courts down by the don caesar in st pete beach are packed every weekend. the commute from the beach to downtown daily would be ridiculous...this weekend just go to south howard ave in south tampa and go from bar to bar and check the scene, thats the best the area has for young-ish people to kick it

Old 09-29-2012, 01:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
You will have to do some compromising on beach living as Tampa has not much in the way of beaches and it'll get to be a heck of a commute every day.
Heres a map of Pass-a-grille beach and as said before would probably be your best bet to live in a beach community as the I-275 is close byhttp://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Pass-a-...tates&t=h&z=13

Blue water in the gulf? might have been photoshopped as although under the right circumstances in the right location the water will appear turquoise and sometimes emerald in color, blue water in Tampa Bay? i've never seen it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay