Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,425,697 times

Advertisements

I lived in Florida for about six years (Tampa most recently) and struggled pretty much with the employment situation there the whole time. I moved out to Washington state this past May because my sister lives here. Luckily, I found a job that I have been wanting to do and can even work at home now. That is great, but I miss Florida really bad. The cost of living here is outrageous, sales tax is over 9 cents on the dollar. Groceries are outrageous. The commute to work was awful before I got to work from home. I was commuting 4 hours a day to get to an 8 hour job and had to pay $200 a month to do it. It is getting cold here and starting to rain all the time. I miss the warmth and beaches of Florida. I am struggling with myself what to do, stay here where I am really not happy but have a good job situation, or go back to where my heart really is and struggle with employment again. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 PM

792 posts, read 2,286,129 times
one thing i've learned over the years, is that you can fix everything about your current situation, except the location.
No matter how much cash you make or how "good you got it", if your not happy where your at, none of that will matter.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks. I think you are probably right.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:54 PM

262 posts, read 935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
one thing i've learned over the years, is that you can fix everything about your current situation, except the location.
No matter how much cash you make or how "good you got it", if your not happy where your at, none of that will matter.
Isn't that the truth! We made the mistake of leaving FL back in the 70's for the same reason as the OP - employment issues - lived up north 2 horrible years and managed to get back down here. We never want to leave again.

To PG77, you didn't say what your work involves, but different areas of FL have different opportunities. Perhaps what you would need, in terms of employment, isn't readily available in Tampa - but might be somewhere else in the state. Or perhaps you could settle for something less than what you want down here and use your free time to study and plan for a different career path. One great thing about the Tampa Bay area are all the educational options available here.

Good luck - and I hope you can get back home to FL.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,139,800 times
Default Stpeteguy and Suncoaster

It's so nice to hear people say that!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:25 PM

192 posts, read 1,162,715 times
I wish I could send you some of this Florida sunshine.......I'm looking out of my window as I type this and it's a deep blue sky with puffy clouds marching across the sky from east to west. I hope this memory will take you back to a better time and I wish you well and hope your situation improves.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks I have goo gobs of pictures of where I have lived and visited throughout Florida. I look at them all the time to try to cheer up, although sometimes it just brings me down even more. AH! What have I done??

Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM

25 posts, read 75,191 times
Thumbs up To be Happy is Better

I hope you are moving back, Better to be happy, than to be sad, We are moving too, North of Tampa very soon , From Washington ( seattle) You are all right , About everything, what you wrote . See you there , and Good luck

Old 10-07-2007, 04:54 PM

12 posts, read 51,385 times
Smile Move on and consider it a learning experience

I move to Portland, OR for a job three years ago. I have been living out of boxes for two years because I refuse to unpack. So here is the thing. I have a great job and a boyfriend I care about but I have to take anti-depressant to live here just to get through the winter. I actually even left in May and came back to try to make it work. I think it's hard because you don't want to think a place can break you or you feel like you are failing because you have a good life compared to some. What it comes down to is if you are not happy it's not a good life. This is something you can change. So change it. Don't be like me a live someplace for three years that you can't stand. I have finally made the decision to leave. I am going back east too. Leaving in two weeks. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks Good luck to you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay