U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 PM

3,018 posts, read 4,873,275 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I've got Verizon FIOS here in PA, unable to get it at my new home in Spring Hill where I am moving next month. So I am looking at either getting the complete bundle from Brighthouse or just doing phone/internet from Brighthouse and going with DIRECTV for TV service.

I have zero experience with satellite TV. Prior to having FIOS, I had Comcast cable up here which just stinks (at least it did 7 years ago).

I was all set to do Brighthouse for the whole shebang, but someone told me I really should look at DIRECTV so here I am. Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
I had Brighthouse and it seemed they just kept sticking a few bucks here a few bucks there on the bill and would not work with me to bring it down.
I had previously had DirecTV before Brighthouse came to my are so I switched the TV to DirecTV to get the benefit of free NFL Sunday ticket and other discounts. I kept phone and internet with BH because I have had my email for years and didn't want to lose it. Over the course of 24 months I will save on average about $10-15 a month, most of the savings is over the first few months and then the price becomes pretty close.
I think Sunday Ticket and me being pissed at BH is what made me change the most. DTV gives a little more selection I think also.
Just figure out what features are more important, work out the numbers and then compare. In the 4-5 months I have had DTV I have only had a storm take out service twice and both for short time period so it is not as bad as it used to be. You can also store a large amount of recorded programs for those times.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM

63 posts, read 108,764 times
I just switched back to DirecTV from Brighthouse for TV. I use Brighthouse for Internet though.

I just prefer how DirecTV works and their channel lineup. You do get occasional interruptions from storms but to be honest I was getting lots of interruptions with Brighthouse too.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,896,689 times
Neither. I use Brighthouse Cable only. Get a Roku, Netflix and PlayOn. You'll never go back

Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM

82 posts, read 179,460 times
I have Comcast up here in Mass. and it's gotten better for sure. it's expensive in my mind, but having "on demand" is actually pretty nice. Especially for kids shows and catching tv shows that you miss during the week. Unfortunately I can't comment on either of your choices except for the fact that Direct TV is good but expensive as well after everything is said and done. They all have good and bad "packages", so it depends on how much your budget is.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,138,855 times
I detest Brighthouse. It was either them or direct TV, and the latter was too much for what you get, imo. I'm waiting for Verizon to finally get FIOS going here, and we will go with them.

I have had the same experience as the above poster who says they add a few bucks here and there and refuse to work with you. But, worse than that, my internet goes out for brief periods during the day. Just a minute or so. Maybe that doesn't matter for many people, but my livelihood has me on line a good deal of the day, and losing service for a brief time screws things up for up to 20 minutes. I'm thinking of sending them a bill for lost income.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM

25,885 posts, read 39,178,572 times
I changed to Bright House after years of arguing with Verizons billing department and every time I was proven to be right but didn't want to deal with that any longer.

Lately Bright House keeps increasing their fees and it can only go so far before we stop using them. They have one benefit that our basic cable is incl. in the HOA fees and that is why many people haven't switched yet so it is waiting for that bulk contract to expire and hopefully we individually can decide instead of paying double.

For the rest I'm satisfied with Bright House and to be honest on the business side they lowered my fees by a lot without asking for it which was done since i'm a long time business client and they stated they reward that...I wish they would do that also on the personal side and I have called and asked but they answer was "NO"

Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 28,477 times
I tried getting DirecTv but my apartment balcony was facing the wrong direction. I thought this was 2012, absolutely ridiculous you can only be facing one way...I now have Brighthouse and have internet, phone and cable with them for about $108 a month with the sports pass and 2 HD Boxes. Directv was a way better deal. Second best package was $55 and came with NFL ticket, free HD DVR, free HD box and Stars Showtime HBO and Cinemax for free for 3 months.

I would def choose FIOS over Brighthouse though. I didn't because I figured I would just need internet and Brighthouse was much cheaper for just internet. Now I am stuck with Brighthouse's triple play bundle.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:00 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,896,689 times
As long as people keep paying these content providing crooks, they'll continue charging more fees. I spend $50 on Brighthouse Internet. I get all local channels and using a Roku, Netflix and PlayOn I have the worlds largest On Demand library and able to watch any sporting event anywhere in the world...live.... on my big screen. Yeah, it's not HD on the live feeds and sometime the live feeds just plain stink.... Also able to listen to Pandora through my surround sound.

Monthly Cost
$50 Internet
$8 Netflix
$5 PlayOn (Lifetime Membership was around $60)

Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 PM

3,018 posts, read 4,873,275 times
I ended up giving DirecTV a shot. Installation is next weekend. I went with phone/internet from Brighthouse. Installation is a few days before DirecTV.

If it were just me, I'd consider "alternate" TV programming such as Netflix exclusively. But, I got a house full of people including my mother-in-law. That's a hard sell that I'm not even going to try and make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay