Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:20 AM

79 posts, read 331,017 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
I very much agree with Tony and Tampa Guy. I have lived in other places including NYC and Puerto Rico, I prefer living here. Although the summer is a long one you don't have to deal with snow. Bienvenido a Tampa.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 PM

35 posts, read 190,031 times
I'm sorry that you misread what I was trying to say - no, Florida doesn't have 100+ degree days, but with the dewpoint and humidity as high as they are, it feels like 100 degrees.

I'm from Michigan originally, been down here 37 years, and I still hate the heat. I should have left sooner. I will never get used to it. If you like it, go for it.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:08 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,820 times
We're originally from NY, but came here after a long stint in the Rocky Mtns. It is HOT & HUMID here May - October, never over mid-90's (in the last 9 yrs.). Interestingly, my husband who always hated heat/humidity has acclimated just fine and enjoys the summers. I, on the other hand, wait through May-Oct. for the NICE cooler, dryer weather from Nov. - April.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
It is hot and humid up there July and August. It is hot and humid in Florida June, July, August, September. You get only 2 more hot and humid month here than there. Big deal, a worthwhile trade off for no snow and ice and gray and no leaves for 6 months a year like up north.
October through May are amazing in Florida.

Perspectives obviously vary.
I can tell you, FLB, that I brought my new baby home from the hospital (end of April a few years ago) in 92 degree weather. I remember it clearly because there was a neighborhood electrical outage for several hours...Eek.

But yes, it's more temperate near the water. We're near the intracoastal, and it's usually around 5 degrees cooler in summer, and warmer in winter, than my sister's house in Polk County. When you're talking a difference between 93 and 98 it's not as big a deal as it might be at 80 or 85, but it helps. As for breeze...depends on which way the weather's coming from. Sometimes it's from the west, sometimes the east. West, IMO, is way better.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:38 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
Any beachfront or block or two away from the beach residence will have a noticeable breeze. The further away you go, the hotter it will be. Now, I live right on a canal just off the bay in Tampa and there's rarely a decent breeze so I don't understand the "nice breeze in Tampa" remarks that are made on this group every now and then.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:49 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
The previous poster has lied to you.
It gets WAYYYY hotter here than in New York City. It gets hotter, faster, more often and for longer periods of time than in new york city.
Look at it this way, in November, December, January, February and part of march, you will get a reprieve and it will be just "warm".
The rest of the time, your sweating.......beaches, no beaches, doesn't matter.
The above is the absolute truth. When it's sticky and hot out, it's STICKY AND HOT. My small children sweat profusely outside and it gets SO HOT that the playgrounds are like little ghost towns. Imagine sending your kid down the sliding board and their little legs...OUCH...scorching sun just bakes the equipment! Or, they can't go "down" the slide because they're stuck with sweat. Get my picture???

However, seems many people don't mind the weather here at all.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 AM

367 posts, read 1,687,479 times
summer is very very hot inland. nearer to beach, there are some breezes, but its still very hot in july/august/september

Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
AHHH hogwash, Im from Chicago and I agree, if you can handle a NY summer- you'll be fine here. Besides, even if the first year is rough your blood thins out and you'll be glad you left the snow..Whats worse, a blizzard or a heatwave? You decide! And yes, going inland does seem to increase the humidity, staying on the coast offers a nice breeze and cleaner air.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 PM

79 posts, read 331,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
AHHH hogwash, Im from Chicago and I agree, if you can handle a NY summer- you'll be fine here. Besides, even if the first year is rough your blood thins out and you'll be glad you left the snow..Whats worse, a blizzard or a heatwave? You decide! And yes, going inland does seem to increase the humidity, staying on the coast offers a nice breeze and cleaner air.
I think a blizzard is way worse, but we don't have those too often in NYC. Still, I see your point. It's mid-October and my skin is already starting to dry out here in NYC - it isn't even cold yet. Pros and cons to everything. But what I'm seeing, overall, is that it's a little better to live as close to the coast as possible. And in extremes, a little better goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay