Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:58 AM

21 posts, read 52,282 times

Advertisements

Has anyone living in the St-Petersburg area experienced the Boston Ma traffic jams on rush hours? Wondering which is worst?? I know that commuting into Boston everyday is bad!!! but is commuting from Palm Harbor to St-Petersburg as bad????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 07:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
We answered this question on your other thread.

I am sure that Florida's traffic in general is definitely not as bad as anywhere up north, BUT it is something to consider. We can tell you that THAT commute will annoy the crap out of you or your husband, but until you do it, you won't know if it will annoy you per what we tell you. For example, I did not believe that 1 mile can take 30 minutes....yet in a Pittsburgh suburb it does/did. It proved to be Insanely annoying.

The best thing you can do is come and visit the areas you are mapping out now. Even if it is a stretch financially, BELIEVE ME, it will save you a ton of aggravation when you actually move down here. Come down during the week, not the weekend, that's a trap, come during Tuesday through Friday, and do all the commutes on all these roads at rush hour, and then you will have your most educated answer. For the most part I commute at odd hours, BUT even at that, 19 is AWFUL. There is no direct highway to St Pete. You have Belcher Rd, US-19, Keene rd, and Mc Mullen Booth, all filled with stop lights, and stop and go, and don't forget red light runners, and all sorts of octogenarians that should not be driving, and pick up trucks, and box trucks, and vans, and God knows, everything you can imagine, and NOT ONE of them respecting the traffic rules such as speed limits, or not cutting off at the bumper. Check traffic statistics for US-19...it is one of the most dangerous roads out there. But again, I drove on it a million times over, but until YOU will, you won't be able to understand how that road works, and how annoying it is.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
We answered this question on your other thread.

I am sure that Florida's traffic in general is definitely not as bad as anywhere up north, BUT it is something to consider. We can tell you that THAT commute will annoy the crap out of you or your husband, but until you do it, you won't know if it will annoy you per what we tell you. For example, I did not believe that 1 mile can take 30 minutes....yet in a Pittsburgh suburb it does/did. It proved to be Insanely annoying.

The best thing you can do is come and visit the areas you are mapping out now. Even if it is a stretch financially, BELIEVE ME, it will save you a ton of aggravation when you actually move down here. Come down during the week, not the weekend, that's a trap, come during Tuesday through Friday, and do all the commutes on all these roads at rush hour, and then you will have your most educated answer. For the most part I commute at odd hours, BUT even at that, 19 is AWFUL. There is no direct highway to St Pete. You have Belcher Rd, US-19, Keene rd, and Mc Mullen Booth, all filled with stop lights, and stop and go, and don't forget red light runners, and all sorts of octogenarians that should not be driving, and pick up trucks, and box trucks, and vans, and God knows, everything you can imagine, and NOT ONE of them respecting the traffic rules such as speed limits, or not cutting off at the bumper. Check traffic statistics for US-19...it is one of the most dangerous roads out there. But again, I drove on it a million times over, but until YOU will, you won't be able to understand how that road works, and how annoying it is.
All true! ^^^ And of course, there is also the NEVER-ENDING road construction on 19.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 AM

472 posts, read 547,156 times
I've lived in Northern VA/DC and now just moved here from north Dallas and those places are where the traffic jams are just epic and rude drivers abound. I've also traveled to Boston and unfortunately have also had the "joy" of being in rush hour there and it's probably just as terrible. My impression of US19 being a newcomer is that the major bottleneck currently around Gulf to Bay to Belleair is primarily due to construction but south of that stretch is pretty open even during rush. The big overpass over Gulf to Bay there supposedly will be done in late 2013 (who knows) and with those lanes opened up then, it may ease up but for now it is a bad stretch to drive thru. The alternate routes are dotted with traffic lights so isn't much better. However, I don't know if it's just more laid back here or it's just the sun and seeing the swaying the palm trees that takes the edge off. Some days I detour and get stuck over Bayside Bridge instead to enjoy being stuck over the water. When I'm here long enough to get my resident fishing license, I plan to spend rush hour going fishing instead of sitting in traffic. That's why I moved here after all, to get away from the hustle and bustle of the rat race in the big cities.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
I'll tell you what you want to hear. I guess you didn't like our answer on the other thread.

Boston traffic is worse. Eventually US-19 will be finished and you'll no longer have traffic problems. The commute won't be that bad. How can it be bad? Buy yourself a convertible and then you can multi-task in the traffic by getting a tan in the "its always sunny and warm in Florida" weather.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 AM

21 posts, read 52,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I'll tell you what you want to hear. I guess you didn't like our answer on the other thread.

Boston traffic is worse. Eventually US-19 will be finished and you'll no longer have traffic problems. The commute won't be that bad. How can it be bad? Buy yourself a convertible and then you can multi-task in the traffic by getting a tan in the "its always sunny and warm in Florida" weather.
You don't have to be rude!!! I was just trying to understand the traffic in the area and compare it with what I know here!!

You don't have to respond if you think you answered before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
I don't think anyone is "rude" here...but this is like comparing apples & oranges!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMom68 View Post
You don't have to be rude!!! I was just trying to understand the traffic in the area and compare it with what I know here!!

You don't have to respond if you think you answered before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I wasn't being a rude. In all seriousness, if I was going to sit in traffic I would rather be in a convertible in a nice warm and sunny climate than sitting in traffic on icy roads on a cloudy snow falling day.

Simmer down.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM

315 posts, read 651,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am sure that Florida's traffic in general is definitely not as bad as anywhere up north,

this is a bold assumption and misnomer Northerners usually make.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMom68 View Post
Has anyone living in the St-Petersburg area experienced the Boston Ma traffic jams on rush hours? Wondering which is worst?? I know that commuting into Boston everyday is bad!!! but is commuting from Palm Harbor to St-Petersburg as bad????
I've never lived in Boston. But I work in the north end of St. Pete (near the Roosevelt exit off 275), and have some co-workers who live in Palm Harbor. They say it takes a solid hour at rush hour. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay