Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 27,861 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about going to school in either Tampa or Ft Lauderdale..... i have read many terrible things about South Florida such as crime, rude people, and "no middle class" ..... I hope that Tampa is not the same way, so tell me all the things you love and hate about living in the Tampa Bay area..... thanks (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 PM

205 posts, read 293,709 times
Well, for starters this area doesn't have quite the crime that South Florida does (though there is still a fair amount of it in certain areas). As always, it helps to come here for a week or so to visit and see how you like the region. As far as friendliness of people goes, it varies from person to person just the same as it does in Miami or New York for that matter.

Good things:
1) Weather and beaches are generally great (very sunny here, but I love the thunderstorms in the summer too!)
2) Lots of local sports teams if you're into that
3) Lots of outdoor stuff to do here...golfing, fishing, parks, water sports, beach stuff, etc. Lots of great places to jog (Bayshore, for example, is a long walkway right on the bay that goes from downtown Tampa down into South Tampa).
4) Pretty laid back vibe here overall.

Bad things:
1) Zero public transport, and the area is very spread out. You'll be driving everywhere and paying for gas a lot, and roads can get clogged. I am used to it so I don't mind, but not everyone is. If you're coming from Dallas it's probably similar to how things work there, except here there is no rail.
2) Harder to meet young people here IMO, though if you're in school here you'll meet people on campus just fine.
3) Weak middle class here as well. There are a good share of nice/moderate areas, but also lots of downtrodden ones. I think there is a misconception out there to some that Florida is some sort of tropical paradise. It can be, but there are a lot of poorer areas here especially since the recession. Areas that I knew used to be nice are now ghettos with abandoned buildings. Though, let me restate, you'll see your fair share of nicer areas as well.
4) The nightlife here is sub-par, if you care about that.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
culture... Tampa - 0 S Florida 150
activities... Tampa concerts and sports--- Miami,,, pick whatever you want!
economy.. Tampa cheaper - Miami you make the money... better jobs
home life... tampa more for your buck... Miami smaller place, you are never home, and you know your neighbors, they bring you coffee.
education.. colleges in both
envirorment.. tampa more natural.. Miami cleaner and newer in most areas,,, hurricanes clean up nicely.
Religion-- Tampa... social clubs/ cold-- Miami-- sence of community and reaching out to the world.

what else? people in Miami prettier, well dressed manicured, and friendlier,,, by a long shot. Tampa peopl work in flip flops in an office yuck

Old 10-17-2012, 06:28 AM

4 posts, read 13,585 times
I live in Pembroke Pines, FL (between FTL and Miami)... We are moving to Tampa Bay to get away from South Florida.. We are originally from Orlando... (Orlando is worse then South Florida in our opinion!) South Florida is beautiful, but crowded... and it is very hard to get a job here if you aren't Hispanic.. I know this from experience... but if you are going to college here, you would probably like it better because it is a party type area.. If I were going to college, I would choose South Florida, but for family life, I would choose some other place... I can't comment on Tampa Bay because we are now moving there and I don't know what it is like..

((I have visited Tampa Bay and I found the people there friendlier...))

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 19,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
culture... Tampa - 0 S Florida 150
activities... Tampa concerts and sports--- Miami,,, pick whatever you want!
economy.. Tampa cheaper - Miami you make the money... better jobs
home life... tampa more for your buck... Miami smaller place, you are never home, and you know your neighbors, they bring you coffee.
education.. colleges in both
envirorment.. tampa more natural.. Miami cleaner and newer in most areas,,, hurricanes clean up nicely.
Religion-- Tampa... social clubs/ cold-- Miami-- sence of community and reaching out to the world.

what else? people in Miami prettier, well dressed manicured, and friendlier,,, by a long shot. Tampa peopl work in flip flops in an office yuck
Considering the Miami metro population relative to Tampa's, I think it would be safe to say that there are more high paying jobs in Tampa than in Miami.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasDude26 View Post
I am thinking about going to school in either Tampa or Ft Lauderdale..... i have read many terrible things about South Florida such as crime, rude people, and "no middle class" ..... I hope that Tampa is not the same way, so tell me all the things you love and hate about living in the Tampa Bay area..... thanks (:
Do you have a scholarship? or are you taking a student loans?

Those things matter than if you hear terrible things about a city...

Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasDude26 View Post
Dude,

If I were in your shoes I would choose Tampa for school, the main reason being cost of living. Miami is expensive and unless your parents are funding an endless bank account, all that wonderful nightlife in Miami is going to be out of your budget anyway. Even if you would rather go to s Florida, make the sacrifice for now and then go there once your done with school and land a job.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Good things?
The weather and the beaches.....

Bad things?.......Its paradise there are no bad things.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Bad things- peoples attitudes to anyone who is NOT like them. NO- higher pay in Miami, across the board-but- now days all jobs paying less, I used to make $12 at HD part time here only $8 max and that's the same everywhere. Receptionist in Miami made 16 hr,, here $12 at most, however you get more Bang for your Buck in Tampbay, and better for small kids here, agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay