Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Ok. Thanks for clarifying that. Also, how long before elections do the ballots get printed? In lieu of this article:
Dead candidates win elections in Florida, Alabama

Has this happened in Tampa?
I don't recall it happening in Tampa in the last 40 something years but that isn't to say it hasn't happened. They usually print up the ballots at least 2 months in advance. You have to realize the large # that is printed. If someone dies after the ballot's are printed they are not going to throw them all away. There is not enough time to find a replacement and no money to reprint all the ballots.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
A lot of Americans don't vote for various reasons.

Here is some insight on the subject:

USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll: Stay-at-home Americans disgusted.

As to ballots being different in different counties, sure they could be. Local issues and races would only be in the county or district requiring a vote.

Surely you could visit the Supervisor of Elections site for a look at that county's ballot(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

That's almost 4 million ppl...still leaves us with 7 million who didn't vote.....

So, here's a question, did people in Hillsborough county had ballots different than Pinellas? what was the same for all on these ballots? or each state/county/city had different things to vote on? is this info available online somewhere?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
When I went to vote there was a guy in front of me that had lost both legs and his left arm! He was in his early 20's, and was wearing those robotic legs/arm; it gave me chills. I did vote yes for that. I don't know how many of you (with the exceptions of a few in here that are vets) have the balls to put yourselves in the first line of war. My dad was vet too...so...taking things away from them is shameful all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I had a hard time wrestling with amendments. The ones giving a tax break to spouses of veterans and senior citizens were particularly difficult for me to choose. My heart said, give them the break, but my brain said, both are already getting money from the government (be is Social Security, medical care, pensions, welfare, etc.) and Florida is not exactly bursting at the seams with revenue.

As much as I felt cruel by saying we can't afford to give tax cuts to people who have a great back story... I had to say no tax cuts. Why should the folks already getting government money get an additional tax break?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Uh, maybe they've earned their pensions (those who still have one), Social Security and Medicare. And maybe giving a break to the survivors of someone who put their ass on the line for you and paid the ultimate sacrifice is right thing to do.

Yep, I absolutely agree with you. It is the right thing to do. And that's why it was a hard decision. We as a state and/or country cannot keep giving 'breaks' to people at the expense of the outrageous debt we are building.

I had one of those kids that want to do better in life so they are selling magazines door to door. Supposed to be kind of a charity thing or what not. Would have loved to help him out, but I have $22,000 in debt from back surgery my wife required. I elected to pay off my debt before I give to charity or someone else. I also will not be giving any money to any charities this holiday season as I usually do. Sorry, my debt comes first.

People join the military as a choice. They choose to join for various reasons, circumstances, etc and all those that join understand that they may have to put their life on the line. Their spouses are aware of this as well. This amendment was not about taking anything away, it was about GIVING them something.

Every time I see someone who is recognizable as a veteran (hat, jacket, etc.) I always go up to them, shake their hand and say, "Thank you for your service". MY father was a Vet.

I'm not upset it passed. In some ways I am glad it did. God Bless The USA!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
I doubt anyone, but the beneficiaries themselves, would prefer to give out welfare to those you describe, however, the laws in place allow it and always did from the day they were written.

Having grown up in the inner city during the 60's and 70's was a easy lesson in life for a lot of people. Lesson being: Stay single, have as many kids as possible and get as much benefit out of the system as possible. One person taught the other and so and and so forth until entire housing projects, all paid for by the government, were loaded with 1,000's of young children. Food stamps at the time were a joke. They were traded like monopoly money for services, exempt items, and used as ghetto cash. People were driving El Dorado's and Cadillac's with custom features!.

Well, not a whole heck of a lot has changed since then. The story is the same in ever inner city in every city in the U.S. They tweaked the rules a bit, but new ways to produce income came to be over the years. Child support checks for as many of the 10 kids as possible is another avenue of revenue if they were lucky enough to know enough about the father.

High ed for illegals? I say NOTHING for illegals. Go back over and come back legally. Immediate
entitlement, legally. Easier than fighting for it.

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-08-2012 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
We as a state and/or country cannot keep giving 'breaks' to people at the expense of the outrageous debt we are building.
You mean like these "people"?

The

Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Thread is closed.. If you want to discuss politics you need to go to the Political forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: