Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,695 times

Advertisements

Hey, I've been in Florida since I was born, I'm 21 now and I'm around the Treasure Coast area, I haven't really traveled around much but I don't find much to do in my current town Roseland, I'm wanting a more young cultural active places I can go too, with things open all the time, things going on like festivals every now and then and stuff.

I was thinking Orlando or Tampa as they seem to be really popular and big.

I had a few questions about Tampa.

What's the Muisc scene like up there? Is there any live playing and stuff going on, concerts or bands ever?

How's the diversity of food?

Are there alot of young people active doing things?

Are there good colleges there?

Are there alot of cool stores and places to go, things to go to?

Are there alot of events going on?

I know the questions are kind of normal, I just want to get an idea what it's like there.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM

315 posts, read 652,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayim View Post
Hey, I've been in Florida since I was born, I'm 21 now and I'm around the Treasure Coast area, I haven't really traveled around much but I don't find much to do in my current town Roseland, I'm wanting a more young cultural active places I can go too, with things open all the time, things going on like festivals every now and then and stuff.

What's the Muisc scene like up there? Is there any live playing and stuff going on, concerts or bands ever?

I know the questions are kind of normal, I just want to get an idea what it's like there.

Thanks

Tampa is like Miami minus the beaches, girls, money, entertainment, actors, etc...

Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Indeed! I know you said you didn't travel much, but you don't need much to travel through Google.

City of Tampa - Home Page

Tampa Florida Vacation - Hotels, Restaurants, Beaches | Tampa Bay & Company

Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Orlando

Orlando Florida - Theme Parks, Hotels, Discounts | Orlando Vacation

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: rude post removed

Last edited by Keeper; 11-08-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times

What's the Muisc scene like up there? Is there any live playing and stuff going on, concerts or bands ever? Of course there are.. Festivals, Ybor City and St Pete Times forum Are they what you like I don't know

How's the diversity of food? There are all kind of restaurants especially Cuban

Are there alot of young people active doing things? There are 2 colleges in Tampa so yes

Are there good colleges there? See above

Are there alot of cool stores and places to go, things to go to? Depends on what you like but for most there are plenty of stores and places to go.

Are there alot of events going on? Check out the St. Pete Times forum. There is also Ybor City, hockey, football and baseball. You have the beach, the bay and lots of festivals.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM

170 posts, read 206,026 times
There are various free publications/newspapers that tell you what music is playing where, what events are happening, where to eat, here are a couple;

Tampa Bay's free newspaper | tbt*

Creative Loafing Tampa

Newspapers are still a great source of what is going on. This will give you an idea of the variety and what to search for;

Media in the Tampa Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many colleges in Tampa, this site says at least 26, and that is just Tampa...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Google list tampa colleges

Food...just about every ethnic group is represented here.

Eat Around the World with These Ethnic Restaurants in Tampa

Google ethnic restaurants in tampa

Same with shopping, be it big name mall stores or small ethnic stores, plenty of them...

Google shopping in tampa

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM

28 posts, read 74,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayim View Post

Thanks
In what way is tampa popular and "big"? Ive lived all over FL and trust me tampa is only popular with senior citizen snowbirds from up north and its a big town not even a city. In another thread here a woman who is currently living in tampa mentioned that she lived in tampa 30 years ago and then moved to miami but had to recently move back to tampa because of her job and she said that it hasnt even changed much in those 30 years, she kept saying how much she wants to move back to miami, tampanians are sort of on the unfriendly side Im not sure if its the northerners, senior citizens or what but its just cold. Also tampa can be ignorant and racist in certain areas. Polk and pasco county is very redneck/rebel flag mentality.

You said youre 21, I feel like someone needs to tell you that you MUST move to Fort lauderdale, Palm beach or Boca. It should just be a law in FL, if you grew up in the state of Florida anywhere outside of the miami metropolitan area and have never visited (even though visiting an area is so different from actually living there) and youre in your early 20s you must experience SoBe, Miami and all the surrounding cities in your lifetime. It will open you up to tons of new experiences, people, cultures, weather, club scenes, and SoBe was voted as having the most beautiful women in the entire U.S. a few years ago (huge positive if youre a 21 year old guy, I dont think you mentioned if you were m/f in your post but if you are male then YOU WILL BE IN HEAVEN)

Music scene in tampa is not as good as Orlando or Miami area obviously, Tampa is on the older side think lots of senior citizens and quiet neighborhoods, orlando and miami are more 20 something yr olds, high school students, college students and fresh out of college students going to Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Bruno Mars and Carly Rae concerts every month

Diversity of food = Miami hands down. cuban sandwiches, cleanest buffets in the state, colombian food, venezuelan, brazilian, west indian food you name it you can probably find it somewhere in miami, theres an area in miami with food trucks lined up that has been featured on food networks for having incredible food dont remember what its called but im sure if you google it, itll come up
In tampa there was little to no diversity of food when I lived there, there are just a few dirty buffets and one decent buffet called Chopstix I think, and a few thai restaurants and italian pizza places
Orlando has more a diversity of food because theres a more diverse population but it still cant touch the diversity of the East coast of South Florida (to put it into perspective for you the entire tampa bay area only has two Whole Food Markets and two costcos, the miami area has 9 whole food markets and 10 costcos I know its funny to compare those things but it really speaks for how far "developed" an area is in the state)

"Are there alot of young people active doing things?"
Not in tampa, in orlando yes but in the miami area ? HECK YES. you move to the SE coast you will never sleep, theres too many things to do and places to go and people to meet. Starting with the beaches stretching from Palm beach all the way down to homestead theres Palm beach, Hollywood beach, Fort Lauderdale beach, South beach, Crandon Park Beach, Haulover beach and more theres too many to list. Then theres the shopping Bal Harbour, Aventura, Galleria, Sawgrass, Worth Avenue, Town center, Palm Beach Mall, the Gardens Mall (which is right next to a trump tower I think) you will never run out of places to shop. At Bal Harbour if you watch closely you can easily spot someone paying over $40,000 for a watch, no joke. Then there are the nightclubs I don't feel like listing them all so here's a link to a list
Top Miami Beach Nightclubs - Best South Beach Night Clubs
There's a reason celebrities love miami (aka sobe, soflo) imagine how difficult it is to actually impress a celebrity but they just love miami and I can see why (kim kardashian, Jennifer lopez madonna, shakira, shaq, matt damon, sylvester stallone all have homes in the area)

In tampa..not really. There is Hillsborough community college, USF, University of Tampa those are the big ones that I remember being there the other ones are technical schools you know if you want to become a ultrasound technician or dental assistant
Orlando I know there is UCF and Valencia both well known and well attended I think UCF has the second largest student body out of all the colleges in the U.S. over 50,000 students
Miami metroolitan area there is UM, FAU, FIU, NSU, BC, Palm beach state college, Barry university, Johnson and Wales University, Miami Dade College, Art insitute of Fort lauderdale, Miami international of art and design and too many more to list so heres a link: colleges near miami - Google Maps

I've lived in tampa and for someone whos 21? No. Not at all. Other than Busch gardens
Orlando? Disney world and...Orlando City, Top 10 Things to do in Orlando FL
Miami area- YES YES AND YES. Everything from one of kind boutiques with a shirt that costs $400 and shoes that cost $1000 to consignment shops where you can buy 10 outfits for under $100 to the upscale and thrifty malls. Places theres Miami metrozoo, parrot jungle, miami seaquarium, south beach dining, Ocean drive, art deco district which is so unique, big name concerts happening every month, and music festivals every year

In tampa...no dont even bother if youre under 60 years old. Theres gasparilla and renaissance festival but and another thing which is the tampa pro skate competition which is every year and pro skaters like ryan sheckler come and skate for the day but its ratchet and not fun at all unless youre really into skate culture.
Orlando= yes Electric Daisy Carnival is actually happening soon I think
Miami =of course Ultra Music Festival happens every year, Calle ocho every year, there really isnt a lack of parties or festivals, if anything theres too many and people cant keep up
I mean look at this LIV:Roger Sanchez & Afrojack Arkadia Poolside Fontainebleau Miami - YouTube
LIV with tiesto: Tiesto At LIV Sun Life Stadium - YouTube
ULTRA: RELIVE ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL 2012 (TICKETS 2013 ON SALE NOW!) - YouTube

So since youre 21 and you want to experience new things after living in the same area for the past 2 decades you need miami in your life Good luck

Last edited by jamesmars12; 11-08-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 PM

146 posts, read 238,314 times
I agree with the pp here that you would benefit from and enjoy living somewhere else for a while. I lived in Sebastian for 10 years and it's a beautiful area but very boring and very elderly.
I disagree with the pp completely though on some of the other things. Miami IS a fun place for young people but it's certainly not some kind of panacea. If you take away the night clubs and stuff there isn't all that much there. Yeah there are great Cuban restaurants and also some other latin american restaurants, but other international food... not so much. It's just so one sided down there too. I am all for getting to know other cultures and traveling but when you are made to feel like a foreigner in your own country it's not that great, especially if you aren't used to it. That would be quite a culture shock for somebody who grew up in Roseland.
Also somebody from treasure coast is not going to be that impressed by beaches... they have gorgeous beaches and you aren't shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of sweaty tourists pretending to be celebrities. South beach and hollywood blvd are fun but not so much for the beach/swimming aspect. Mall stores and upscale shopping like bal harbour can be found anywhere and really aren't all that fun. They all carry the same merchandise. A rolex is a rolex... you can see it in Reyjavik or Bal harbour or dallas, tx or whatever.
Music... maybe Miami is better but there is live music in all cities and there are a lot of festivals and such here. I just missed one that looked really good... international folk festival with shows and food from all over the world.
That comment about under 60 year old, that's just silly. I am in a different demographic than the op but there are tons of families where I live and tons of kid things to do. We've had fun stuff every weekend. Somebody from Treasure coast would enjoy Busch Gardens (show me something like that in Miami) and a lot of other things as well. SO for the OP, take your pick... there are a lot of options and the world is out there at your disposal. I suggest you get out there and soak it up!!

PS on a final note, I looked up the rankings for USF and University of Miami. US news and world report ranks USF 177, and they rank University of Miami 44. So I guess Miami wins hands down for good colleges.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
My grandaughter is 23 and would live here (Tampa) but was scared in Miami as she is from Marianna Fl - like night n day -so, depends on how adventurous you are and able to stick in a fast pace like Miami... like drugs, after parties- clubs scene- gambling etc etc. MUST stay level headed, I personally moved my 3 sons there when they were 7-18 so they could learn the world and they did, I would return if my job let me.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
I have to disagree...I know Miami has a lot of bad areas, but there are plenty of nice areas to choose from, and it is not all made up of bars and clubs! Most of the bars and clubs are in Miami Beach, and if someone is not into that scene they can easily avoid it. My brother is a professor at University of Miami for some 30 years now, and lives in Coral Gables, and never encounters the "war zones" ppl talk about here. We visit frequently and we also don't see any of that! We lived in Orlando for 4 years and we knew it had several bad areas, but we never seen them directly. You can live anywhere in Florida and NEVER ONCE encounter a crack town unless you;re looking for it.

Plus, who says you have to live in some cracktown!??? every city has a crack town, if you come to Tampa stay away from Nebraska Ave. Living in cracktown doesn't mean "you learn the world", the world in NOT a cracktown...a cracktown is where the people who don't want to live like the rest of the world does live! its not like you're going to find a decent family, working, not into drugs and God knows what other crap living in a cracktown.

To the OP: if you're looking for a change, asks us where the nice areas are, and we'll tell you, but be prepared to work hard to afford them, but if you're looking to move here and sit on welfare, then don't bother, FL looks the same here as it does elsewhere for that type of crowd!

"learn the world"???
THIS world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My grandaughter is 23 and would live here (Tampa) but was scared in Miami as she is from Marianna Fl - like night n day -so, depends on how adventurous you are and able to stick in a fast pace like Miami... like drugs, after parties- clubs scene- gambling etc etc. MUST stay level headed, I personally moved my 3 sons there when they were 7-18 so they could learn the world and they did, I would return if my job let me.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of moving to Tampa, what's it like up there?-03ipatlas_worldmap.gif  

Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 PM

158 posts, read 227,550 times
tampa is relatively zombie free compared to some parts of florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay