Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I think it is good she got arrested but not where she was arrested...it should have happened at her home and not at her place of work. JMO!
I agree.

She came forward when this happened and should have been arrested or fined at that time. It's not like they had some complicated criminal case to solve that they had to wait so long before an arrest. Who knows why they thought it was a good idea to arrest her at work. I doubt it would have been hard to track her down at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I agree.

She came forward when this happened and should have been arrested or fined at that time. It's not like they had some complicated criminal case to solve that they had to wait so long before an arrest. Who knows why they thought it was a good idea to arrest her at work. I doubt it would have been hard to track her down at home.
Agreed, she already came forward and cooperated with authorities when she initially learned what she did may have been illegal. I'm sure when she met with the police the first time they got all of her contact information. Before issuing the arrest warrant and wasting resources to arrest at her job the State attorneys could have simply contacted her, informed charges were being filed and order her to turn herself in or an arrest warrant would be issued. Most jurisdiction have walk-throughs for people like her where you can pay your bail as you enter the jail, you'll be booked and processed, given your court date and released. I don't understand the need to spend resources on physically arresting her when this could have easily been done. It was probably a publicity stunt if you ask me.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM

329 posts, read 774,730 times
well said

Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I recognize her charges are not in the same realm as those that harm humans, but manatees ARE endangered. Now, if you don't care for biodiversity, then I can understand so many are upset by this.

If, however, you feel it is important that biodiversity is an important ingredient in our, as humans, continued well being, then impacting endangered species with potential negative consequences needs to be controlled.

BTW, I agree, putting down your own dog is not something that should be something you are charged for. Not sure if I could do it, but a lethal dose of a drug or a quick bullet is humane. I don't see why we need a vet to do that.

OMG!!! the FLORIDA mouse is on the list!!! so is alot of snakes and FROGS--and some FISH squirrels- rabbits- Do you really think anyone is watching to see where those rat traps are going right now? - and as far the poor manatees, have you not watched the huge yachts flying by in a slow speed zone with the their topless broads on deck? --yes-- sacrifice this poor lady and make an example of her, after all she is a hispanic poor person who probably thought it was a gift from God that a gentle animal would come play with her in the ocean... RUBBISH- go get the list and see what you killed and turn yoruselves in! ughh Lists of Endangered Species: Florida - EndangeredSpecie.com

Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize that Manatees are not native to Florida? So essentially if a polar bear happened to migrate to Florida it too would quickly become "endangered status" also. The type found in Florida also happens to be the weakest of the species.....hmmm just like a polar bear would be in Florida too!
Manatees are not indigenous to Florida?

You better let the US Fish and Wildlife Service know. They seem to have information, including fossil records, that suggest otherwise.

Isn't better to spread facts rather than rumors? Well, isn't it?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
OMG!!! the FLORIDA mouse is on the list!!! so is alot of snakes and FROGS--and some FISH squirrels- rabbits- Do you really think anyone is watching to see where those rat traps are going right now? - and as far the poor manatees, have you not watched the huge yachts flying by in a slow speed zone with the their topless broads on deck? --yes-- sacrifice this poor lady and make an example of her, after all she is a hispanic poor person who probably thought it was a gift from God that a gentle animal would come play with her in the ocean... RUBBISH- go get the list and see what you killed and turn yoruselves in! ughh Lists of Endangered Species: Florida - EndangeredSpecie.com
Great list. Are you suggesting that biodiversity should not be striven for? Many of those species play a known role in our natural environment, and many play an unknown role.

Why don't you tell us exactly which of those species you want to see extirpated from Florida, and why that would be a good thing?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Agreed, she already came forward and cooperated with authorities when she initially learned what she did may have been illegal. I'm sure when she met with the police the first time they got all of her contact information. Before issuing the arrest warrant and wasting resources to arrest at her job the State attorneys could have simply contacted her, informed charges were being filed and order her to turn herself in or an arrest warrant would be issued. Most jurisdiction have walk-throughs for people like her where you can pay your bail as you enter the jail, you'll be booked and processed, given your court date and released. I don't understand the need to spend resources on physically arresting her when this could have easily been done. It was probably a publicity stunt if you ask me.
The fact that they even arrested her at work for this is absolutely outrageous

Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 AM

354 posts, read 617,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize that Manatees are not native to Florida? So essentially if a polar bear happened to migrate to Florida it too would quickly become "endangered status" also. The type found in Florida also happens to be the weakest of the species.....hmmm just like a polar bear would be in Florida too!

Yes they are mr. scientist.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Great list. Are you suggesting that biodiversity should not be striven for? Many of those species play a known role in our natural environment, and many play an unknown role.

Why don't you tell us exactly which of those species you want to see extirpated from Florida, and why that would be a good thing?

I agree to save the envirorment and it's animals, not suggesting we do NOT or to have any species extirpated- that is a silly question- she did NOT harm or attempt to harm this animal to have been arrested in this matter. She should be fined or given some sort of punishment- but open arrest at job etc is a bit much-this video has gone all over the world, and we dont pick up 1/2 of the hardened criminals/phedophiles etc. that way, some times you do not even get a name...
THE punishment for this crime is over the top, just as if you killed the wrong mouse... talking about people's lives here!!! Boaters, industrial fishermen do more harm, why are they not arrested and flogged?? Oh they have fast boats and get away.
The manatee is alright- the poor lady is NOT! If you care about animals, you must care more about the people.

Last edited by tinytrump; 11-28-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 AM

14 posts, read 25,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not from here and do not understand the infatuation Floridians have with manatees other than they are endangered species. However, it is reasonable that a person unfamiliar with a manatee (let alone its endangered status) would think that playing with a manatee is okay similar to swimming with dolphins. This lady's actions are completely reasonable and she admitted her fault to the unknowledgable crime. The embarassment that the community has subscribed her to is outrageous and the fact that she was arrested at work is beyond comprehension. Unbelievable...
Swimming with dolphins and riding manatees are two totally different things! I can understand if she was, "swimming" with them but c'mon now, what she did was abused!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay