Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I think your right that he was failed and needed help, but at some point society needs to be protected from people like this. How many felonies do you think a juvenile should get before they are finally taken off the street? I'm willing to bet this guy knows right from wrong, so the real victim is the man he murdered.
I certainly don't think the 16yo kid is a victim in the greater sense, the victim is the security guard and his family. I don't think is fair to say here is this 16yo whose criminal career started when he was 10 how come he is not behind bars. Its not about getting chances, its about giving him a real chance. If a 12yo commits a crime, you process him, slap his hand, release back to the same environment, do nothing but tell him next time I am going to slap your hand a little harder, until you end up behind bars. That is not giving him a chance. I know in Florida, Social programs are equated with entitlements and are not popular, you have to believe that helping these kids out when they are young is not only the right thing to do but also a lot cheaper than housing them in jail for 20+years.

Last edited by DUNNDFRNT; 11-29-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
So we are so concerned about our national debt, our deficit, al Qaeda, etc etc etc. But I tell those in my family that they have very little control over that and should be more concerned about their personal safety here in the TB area when these kinds of criminals are running free. Any of us can bite the dust just because some kid/thug who doesn't give a crap about anyone else's life.

Thugs are getting more ruthless and brazen by the day and at a younger age. You can take steps by arming yourself to improve your odds, but like this murder proves it doesn't always help. The victim never even pulled his gun.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I certainly don't think the 16yo kid is a victim in the greater sense, the victim is the security guard and his family. I don't think is fair to say here is this 16yo whose criminal career started when he was 10 how come he is not behind bars. Its not about getting chances, its about giving him a real chance. If a 12yo commits a crime, you process him, slap his hand, release back to the same environment, do nothing but tell him next time I am going to slap your hand a little harder, until you end up behind bars. That is not giving him a chance. I know in Florida, Social programs are equated with entitlements and are not popular, you have to believe that helping this kids out when they are young is not only the right thing to do but also a lot cheaper than housing them in jail for 20+years.
I do agree with that. My point is over a six year period he committed twelve felonies and was still walking the street. At some point these people need to be removed from society.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
How about the thousands of other kids just like him out there. This kid is not unique.

In the early 1980's there was a kid named Willie Bosket Jr. New York City.

Charging these kiddie criminals as adults would be the first move, but then again, the criminal justice system is a vocational/technical school for kids like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Why was this kid not behind bars? He has a "dozen felonies" from age 10 to 16. I believe this is the third police/security officer murdered in a little over a year in the "expanded" bay area by someone younger than 20y.o..

Teen accused in security officer murder has long criminal history

Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
He should get his ass beat and shot

And add his parents or guardians to it as well

Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Its sad, but in Miami a guy shot a teen at a 7-11 for playing his music too loud... it's not just teens our society is returning more barbaric. Everyday there is more child abuse, the idiot who twisted the little boys nipples-- crazy!!- more young children are being brought up in these envirorments -what is to be expected?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
where are his parents or whoever was raising him ? another single mother with no support or husband or father figure in the house ? too many single mothers out there trying to earn a living and dont know what is going on in their home . Same old story and then people wonder why those kids turn out the way they do . The man he murdered and his family are the real victims this kid is not a victim ,he made choices and obviously the wrong choices because he had no guidance .
Being raised by a single mother isnt the reasoning that this child committed these acts. Theres millions of people that are raised by single moms that are successful and responsible individuals. You think if his father was in the household (mightve been) that he would have made different choices? Just because you have two parents in the household doesnt automatically make a perfect citizen....and just because youre a single mom, working for a living to support your household doesnt automatically make you a loser parent with horrible children that doesnt know whats going on. Thanks for the generalization though.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
He should get his ass beat and shot

And add his parents or guardians to it as well
I agree, but a few weeks of slow pain would be a better way.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Now they are going the other way with teens that commit heinous crimes, at least in California. They passed a new law that deals with juvenile sentencing. It could effect quite a few that were given life sentences, they would now have a chance of parole. One such gal was involved in a carjacking, she was armed with a sawed off shotgun and shot the guy in the back of the head. Of course she claimed it was an accident. I don't think she should get any breaks seeing as the young man she killed will get no second chance. How about giving them the same consideration they gave their victims?

Juveniles get second chance with new California law - CBS News

Dunn, do you know anything about what was done after his first and subsequent offenses as far as actions to rehabilitate him? When one does not know his complete record in detail its hard to judge and say he wasn't treated properly. Just by his being out after the recent armed robbery, it seems the system was being very lenient with him. Don't you also believe by 16 a juvenile is responsible for his or her actions? One can come from a terrible home and still see whats right and wrong. It doesn't take a giant brain to figure, if I get caught again, I will get more time and eventually end up in prison. Perhaps he doesn't care. I think there is something wrong above the eyebrows when kids can commit cold blooded murder.

I would like to see the cycle broken, with kids being in gangs at a young age, and not having any positive male role models in their lives. But the local neighborhoods need to be the ones to initiate these things. Lead by example. Changes from within the community have to take place if we are going to see a drop in the number of young thugs. Jesse, Al, or any other flying down from their luxury home once in a blue moon isn't going to foster any real lasting change.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
It all starts with the parents. These kids are raised thinking this is ok and they dont care about the law. Who shoots someone in the face for a robbery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: