U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,367 times

Advertisements

Hi anyone,

Both my husband and I are relocating Feb 2013 for jobs at MacDill AFB and have no idea where to live there. We have kids (elementary and high school so we are looking for really good schools. I don't know if it's possible but we do not want to live in a big city however, close enough to drive to MacDill and a big city. So with that said anyone have advice on the following:

1. Living close to MacDill (40 min drive or less) small town or where we can actually own a home with land.
2. Really good school district
3. A sensible realtor that can show us rent-to-own, rentals or owning

Thanks really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 02:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
There are a lot of threads from the past concerning MacDill. You might find useful information using the search.

Many people from MacDill live in the Brandon, Valrico, Riverview areas and commute via the Selmon Expressway. Takes less than 40-min. I believe there may even be a shuttle to MacDill originating out of that area each day. The RiverHills and Fish Hawk Ranch are popular w/ some of the folks out at MacDill.

Can't speak for the schools in the area.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM

Thanks, I will look into those areas and do a search!!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 PM

4,825 posts, read 3,481,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymove2013 View Post
Hi anyone,

Both my husband and I are relocating Feb 2013 for jobs at MacDill AFB and have no idea where to live there. We have kids (elementary and high school so we are looking for really good schools. I don't know if it's possible but we do not want to live in a big city however, close enough to drive to MacDill and a big city. So with that said anyone have advice on the following:

1. Living close to MacDill (40 min drive or less) small town or where we can actually own a home with land.
2. Really good school district
3. A sensible realtor that can show us rent-to-own, rentals or owning

Thanks really appreciate it
I think Valrico fits the bill. South Tampa has better schools but its more urban than what you stated you want, Fishawk Ranch also has better schools but falls short of your land requirement. Valrico's is probably your best match.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,996,228 times
I echo the Brandon, Riverview, Valrico. I am retired Navy myself and recommend taking a look at homes for rent/sale on militarybyowner.com. Even if none of the properties catch your eye, at least you can see the area where Our Military people live.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Be careful about all the additional fees that some of the nicer communities require (if you're buying). CDD fees can be high.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the advice......militarybyowner.com great website, love it. It gives us an idea of areas and what to look for.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 AM

1,407 posts, read 2,508,311 times
Consider Seminole - it's a 30 min or so drive along Park Blvd and Gandy, but v close to beaches, has good schools and safe/friendly. Our neighbor was posted there some years back, he loved living in Seminole, he was at Centcom. Rents are not bad, I saw a rental for $1525 for a nice house in my neighborhood on a lake 3/2/2 its a nice home. Seminole High school Seminole Middle and Oakhurst Elem are good schools. Sometimes its nice to be away from the office and the drive is not horrendous. My partner worked in Tampa not far from there and drove for many years - then he got a job that was even further away! You dont have to live in Hillsborough County and work at the base, our pace is slower by the beaches.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,583 posts, read 3,696,959 times
The rental market is especially tight right now, so if you have any advantages as far as resources with the military, use them. I live in the Bloomingdale area, which has a lot of military personnel stationed at MacDill, and I can assure you that when a house comes up for rent in my neighborhood or the surrounding neighborhoods it's off the market in 3-4 days at the most.

It's only my opinion, but I doubt you're going to find much in the way of rent to own. With all of the foreclosures and bank owned properties in the area, buyers have the upper hand, which makes the sellers far less likely to revert to alternative methods of selling their properties.

There are also a lot of legal issues when it comes to doing a rent to own that can leave you without a house at the end of the contract as well as a bit poorer. If you attempt to go this route, be sure to have an experienced real estate attorney on retainer. It's cheap insurance.

In the same vein, if you rent I would determine who the owner of the property is and that they hold clear title to the property. There are a lot of people in pre-foreclosure (lis pendens) who have already moved out of the the properties and are renting them. In this situation I believe they can only rent on a month to month basis, but that's no guarantee. If the bank comes in and takes possession of the house, you're out with no recourse.

As for CDD and HOA fees, this would only affect you if you buy.

In Florida, there can be a taxing district set up by the developer to maintain the property and roads until they are turned over to the County (if at all.) These are typically referred to as CDD fees, and can be substantial. In the case of Fishhawk Ranch, a close to 10,000 home development in this area, the CDD fees can be as much as $2,000/year. These are escrowed as a part of your mortgage payment, effectively reducing what you can afford by almost $200/month.

An HOA is the governing body that manages the neighborhood common areas and is formed by the developer. The HOA takes care of things like common areas such as entrances and public spaces within the development and manages compliance with the HOA rules or deed restrictions, such as house colors, the parking of certain vehicles on the property or streets, maintenance of yards, etc. In other words, they make sure that you don't have a bright pink house with grass three feet tall in the neighborhood. HOA fees are usually paid annually, and are typically in the low hundreds, maybe $200/year. The property owner pays these directly to the HOA once a year. The HOA is made up of owners elected to the Board with annual or semi-annual terms.

You'll find a lot of opinions about HOAs here - some like them, some don't. I have lived in both types of communities, and I have found that having an HOA, while sometimes a little difficult, works to the owner's advantage in the long term. Just my $0.02.

Good luck, and welcome.

RM

Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,847 times
Default Realtor Familiar with MacDill in Tampa to Help

I would love to help you in your move to Tampa if you have not already found a Realtor to help you.

My name is Tracy and I am a Realtor with Prudential Tropical Realty here in the Tampa area. I wanted to introduce myself to you and let you know that if you have any real estate needs or questions I am available to help. My husband is retired Army and we settled here in the area almost 6 years ago. Often people have questions about a home in their neighborhood or new loan programs and are not sure where to go for up to date accurate information. Please use me as a resource to answer those questions. I love to help and Real Estate is my area of expertise. I honor most of the military related rebates for selling or buying a home. Please consider me if you have friends, co-workers or family that are looking for a Realtor in the Tampa area. I can be contacted directly at THOYT@prutropical.com[/email] or by cell phone at 813-352-6219.

Respectfully,
Tracy Hoyt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay