Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
The goal of colleges/universities ought to be to enhance academic values not how to get players to come to their universities.
Many, MANY of the students looking for a school to attend take into consideration that schools sports program. Skip Holtz' $2M salary was likely far surpassed by the amount of money the Bulls brought in this year - as terrible as they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,249 times
Hey, don't worry about it. With all the news about brain injuries from repetitive sub-concussive head trauma, big-time college football is going away sooner or later. I'm not sure if chess, debate, speech, or flag football will ever be able to fill the gap.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Many, MANY of the students looking for a school to attend take into consideration that schools sports program. Skip Holtz' $2M salary was likely far surpassed by the amount of money the Bulls brought in this year - as terrible as they were.
Absolutely and for many universities this is what it all boils down to...it's a PR issue. Name recognition and winning equate to lots of chatter on ESPN and elsewhere, which leads to the hype and even overexposure when not winning, seen with schools like Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

In terms of renewing Holtz's contract as previously mentioned, USF could very well have been hunting discreetly for a replacement and realized no one else was available with Holtz's name and reputation. To an extent I think Skip has been riding on daddy's reputation (Lou Holtz) and doing so helped him hang on longer than he normally would have at USF.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:40 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,098,981 times
Quote:
Absolutely BS.

Here is a link to see how much schools pay from their budget

Link: USA TODAY Sports college football coaches salaries database
You don't know what you are talking about.

Coaches do not, unless there are very special circumstances, get paid from academic or anything taxpayers put into. The post you replied to and shot down was correct; you are wrong.

Besides, you can't look at a college coach versus a professor in terms of salaries. There are thousands of people who can do what college professors do...many of thousands. Not true for a successful football coach- they are rare. When you are rare, you are in low supply and high demand...and you know what economics tell us, right?

Also, the amount of money that coaches makes for the athletic program is ridiculous. Where are you going to find 80,000 people to attend a final calculus exam?

Last note: you need to know that athletic departments actually donate TO the school in multiple forms in many universities. The opposite of what you are trying to construe.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,516,661 times
What USF does that many top programs do not is charge a very high student athletic fee. This might not go directly to a coaches salary but it's the way they build sports programs since they don't have many boosters or people willing to donate money.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
Quote:
The goal of colleges/universities ought to be to enhance academic values not how to get players to come to their universities.
Then go to a school that doesn't have NCAA Division I Athletics... It's not rocket science.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:12 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,339,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
You don't know what you are talking about.

Coaches do not, unless there are very special circumstances, get paid from academic or anything taxpayers put into. The post you replied to and shot down was correct; you are wrong.
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I get what you're saying, but that's not technically true.

The coaches get a "base salary" that is taken from the university's salary and benefits funding. For instance, at LSU, Les Miles gets $300k a year paid to him from the tax payers + benefits. However, the football program itself pays Les Miles many millions a year which does not come from the tax payers.

Also, some of Les Miles's assistant coaches get up to $500k in base salary from the state tax payers as well as the football players get free or reduced price education. The TAF gives (i think) $4m back to the university, presumably to reimburse for base salaries and possibly some other expenses. The accounting that goes on with college athletics is fuzzy.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,098,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I get what you're saying, but that's not technically true.

The coaches get a "base salary" that is taken from the university's salary and benefits funding. For instance, at LSU, Les Miles gets $300k a year paid to him from the tax payers + benefits. However, the football program itself pays Les Miles many millions a year which does not come from the tax payers.
Les Miles and a very small select few, not "coaches" as in a majority. The ones who do, it is usually some sort of accounting pencil whipping and effort to get tax breaks.

So I stand by my initial comment that unless there are special circumstances, coaches do not receive salary from the academic side or from taxpayer money. It is composed of money from the Athletic Department budget paired with manufacturer deals, TV/Radio deals, and other promotional activities.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,516,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Les Miles and a very small select few, not "coaches" as in a majority. The ones who do, it is usually some sort of accounting pencil whipping and effort to get tax breaks.

So I stand by my initial comment that unless there are special circumstances, coaches do not receive salary from the academic side or from taxpayer money. It is composed of money from the Athletic Department budget paired with manufacturer deals, TV/Radio deals, and other promotional activities.
Right.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,339,914 times
Let's talk facts. Everybody knows that the football programs pay for the million dollar salaries, but what evidence do you have that the USF athletic fund pays for the coaches' base salaries?

Lou Holtz had a base salary of $500k. The link below shows millions in salaries coming out of state coffers for USF football, but none show up for UF football. It's possible that they are being reimbursed to USF, but to just assume these things is to be entirely too trusting of government.

Salaries in Florida's Universities: Database
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay