U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,524,975 times
Reputation: 1960

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
^ What is your point?
That just because there's a written law, doesn't mean it's gold and should be followed. It's my assumption that the OP believes drivers should yield to his crossing the street at any point or location that he sees fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 3,798,186 times
Reputation: 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
That just because there's a written law, doesn't mean it's gold and should be followed. It's my assumption that the OP believes drivers should yield to his crossing the street at any point or location that he sees fit.
In a parking lot they should. This is a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,524,975 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
In a parking lot they should. This is a no brainer.
I agree, however, in almost every parking lot, there are crosswalks from the store/building into the parking lot itself, and unless you're walking down the middle of the aisle at Walmart, you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,494,612 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Theres no road rage, just impatient, selfish, self absorbed, feel entitled, self centered drivers who think they own the roads etc. Road rage Miami- get in ther way,,, fight is ON! and surprizingly you can walk in New York and they stop on a dime when that red light turn on,,, amazing!!
really? watched a few bikers run into pedestrians in nyc not too long ago. And the drivers rarely stopped for us crossing. Even for small kids. Many a fight between our crossing guards and drivers. Not fun at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 AM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,494,612 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
This is a serious issue around here, on Countryway Blvd, in any school zone, at shopping centers, in my place of employment's parking garage, and when I was a student at USF you are REQUIRED TO STOP OR SLOW DOWN AND YIELD TO PEDESTRIANS, yet no one did!! The Northerners are saying "oh well it was worse up north", Who gives a damn!? You live here now, why on earth would you intentionally want to harm someone with your stupid car. People feel entitled when they get behind the wheel of their 4,000 lb vehicle.
Usually, the bigger and more wreckless the vehicle, the bigger the douchebag is behind the wheel. No one gives a crap about your stupid ego, people are looking at you because you are an idiot and want to harm others because you cant wait 10 seconds to let someone cross the street.



I bet its not close to as much road rage as there is down here. Usually in a normal city there is something called public transit and a lot of times people need to do some walking to get to their destination. The thing is down here, no one walks anywhere just drive so you need to experience being a pedestrian then once you get behind the wheel you will be more courteous to pedestrians when you drive. Like in NYC people that drive are usually pedestrians too so they know what its like so they yield for people in crosswalks.

IME (lived in nyc for 20+ years) there were never courteous drivers. N/E/V/E/R you were joking right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 AM
 
158 posts, read 193,604 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
That just because there's a written law, doesn't mean it's gold and should be followed.
Lets hope not too many Tampa drivers are that stupid. Although from the looks of the reports in this thread, many are.

Plenty of people dont even slow down in parking lots even though you are crossing. It is that weird mindset, the "you arent going to control my driving by putting your body in front of my car" type of nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,834,967 times
Reputation: 5074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Going to your link, it actually says "It is the motorist's responsibility to do everything possible to avoid colliding with any pedestrians. Bicyclists, skaters and skateboarders in a crosswalk or driveway are considered pedestrians." which is the law everywhere! However, not everyone crosses in a crosswalk or driveway.

This is also a Florida law...

798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.

If any man and woman, not being married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or if any man or woman, married or unmarried, engages in open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

I wonder how many people follow that one in the Sunshine State ?
Every time I am almost hit, I am in the crosswalk. Whenever I notice other people almost being hit at intersections, they are in the intersection crosswalk. When people leave the store, there is a crosswalk right outside the exit door that they walk into.

Your point is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,834,967 times
Reputation: 5074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
That just because there's a written law, doesn't mean it's gold and should be followed. It's my assumption that the OP believes drivers should yield to his crossing the street at any point or location that he sees fit.
No. I believe is, and am backed up by the law, that motorists are to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalks.

Beyond that, IMO, motorists should also take it upon themselves to be cautious and courteous. Slow down and smell the roses and stop being so impatient and in such a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 07:04 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,834,967 times
Reputation: 5074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I agree, however, in almost every parking lot, there are crosswalks from the store/building into the parking lot itself, and unless you're walking down the middle of the aisle at Walmart, you should be fine.
The point of the thread is that people walking in the crosswalks are not fine. I'm seeing this every single day. Which is what prompted me to start this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,232 posts, read 5,703,106 times
Reputation: 5785
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
People, please. When you see someone crossing the road or parking lot in front of you, especially in a crosswalk, please slow down and let them cross. I cannot believe how many times I see cars not stop or even speed up when someone is crossing in front of them. Same thing happens inside stores when two people are walking in adjacent isles. One sees the other and continues to walk right into their path. What is with the impatience in Tampa Bay? I've never noticed it this bad anywhere else I've been.

Please folks, slow down, pay attention and start enjoying life. Be nice and courteous to your fellow human being.
Being courteous, especially to pedestrians, is not how it's done in Florida. Sorry.

Transportation For America Dangerous by Design 2011 State Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top