Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM

17 posts, read 24,703 times

Advertisements

Hello Floridians!

I hope someone can help me out. There are two things that have left me scratching my head...because they both seem to indicate that I've lost my mind.

I lived in Dunedin back in the '70s; I *SWEAR* the street I lived on was named Summerdale. As I recall it was just off 19 and 580, to the northwest. I mean like the first street to the left after turning north on 19 from 580. Now, there's no trace of it on Google maps or anywhere else I've looked. I understand that places change over the years...er, decades...but I rarely see entire streets just disappear!

Second, and in the same time period, my in-laws lived in Clearwater, on Lorena Lane. I remember their ZIP code as 33515. But, again, there's no trace of any such thing. Has my memory totally failed me? (I wish I could find mail from back then, but I have still have tons of unopened boxes in my garage from when I moved back to California from Dallas...in 2006. *sigh*)

A nudge in the right direction to find info on either/both of these issues would be very appreciated, as would someone clearing up either mystery if they personally know the explanation.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Both still there as far as I know.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CC8Q8gEwAA

2771 Summerdale Drive #10, Clearwater FL - Trulia

Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Both still there as far as I know.
Thanks for the reply. I realize now I worded my second question poorly--I know Lorena Lane is still there, it's the ZIP code, 33515, that doesn't exist. Anywhere. At least according to the USPS.

No, that' s not it. For one thing, our Summerdale ran east/west; this Summerdale runs north/south. Also, our Summerdale was northwest of the intersection of 19 and 580; this one is northeast.

Today, thinking that perhaps I really HAVE lost my mind, I actually asked my husband some [what he thought were] very odd questions: What city did we live in when we were in Florida? (Dunedin); what street did we live on? (Summerdale); where was Summerdale oriented in relation to 19 and 580? (northwest; we'd turn left onto our Summerdale from 19 just after crossing 580 going north); which direction did we walk on Summerdale to get to the farmer's market that was on it, about a mile or so down the road? (west). After being grilled and coming up with the responses I'd hoped for, he asked WHY I was asking! His recollections exactly match mine...and we rarely agree on anything, so that in itself is a miracle.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeInSoCal View Post
No, that' s not it. For one thing, our Summerdale ran east/west; this Summerdale runs north/south. Also, our Summerdale was northwest of the intersection of 19 and 580; this one is northeast.
You lost your mind. They wouldn't have two Summerdale's in the same city are you sure that you weren't driving East on 580, turned left onto Summerdale thinking that, while going East, you were really going North ?

Try using the Google Street View to see if your old house is still on that street and you'll know for sure.

As far as the zip code goes, sometimes cities annex or merge zip codes with others, they probably ditched the 33515 zip code and lumped it into 33761.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You lost your mind. They wouldn't have two Summerdale's in the same city are you sure that you weren't driving East on 580, turned left onto Summerdale thinking that, while going East, you were really going North ?
Thanks, but no, really, we're quite sure. By the way, there are MANY, many cities that have streets with the same name, but with different suffixes, so it's not at all impossible for there to have been two Summerdales. For example, Summerdale Ct and Summerdale Dr. Neither my husband nor I can recall what OUR Summerdale was, i.e., Rd, Dr, Ave, St, Ct, etc. But we are 100% sure it ran east/west and was IMMEDIATELY northwest of 19 and 580.
Quote:
Try using the Google Street View to see if your old house is still on that street and you'll know for sure.
Don't need to. It's not the same street, so there's no point.
Quote:
As far as the zip code goes, sometimes cities annex or merge zip codes with others, they probably ditched the 33515 zip code and lumped it into 33761.
I just never think in terms of ZIP codes being eliminated. For example, here in Arcadia [CA] when a new ZIP code was needed for my mom's area, they ADDED a new one. So hers used to be 91006--which still exists for a DIFFERENT part of the city--and hers got changed to the new one, 91007.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
Quote:
Second, and in the same time period, my in-laws lived in Clearwater, on Lorena Lane. I remember their ZIP code as 33515. But, again, there's no trace of any such thing. Has my memory totally failed me? (I wish I could find mail from back then, but I have still have tons of unopened boxes in my garage from when I moved back to California from Dallas...in 2006. *sigh*)
After some research, I found a few examples citing a 33515 zip code in Clearwater. Here is one of many, if you view the bottom right entry:

Image Link

It appears the zip code was merged into 33755 and 33765, because Nelson Ave was part of 33515 back in the early 80's according to some records I found.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
Decided to see if I can offer some help for your first question, with Summerdale.

This is a map of the same area in 1971. It appears you may have confused a memory? It would make sense for your Summerdale to run east/west if you were incorrect on it's actual position...as in turning a true map 90 degrees counter clockwise. Then, this same Summerdale would be on the NW side and run east/west.

It appears nothing was removed from one map to another...just a lot of additions.
Attached Thumbnails
Have I totally lost my mind?!-map.jpg  

Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
But we are 100% sure it ran east/west and was IMMEDIATELY northwest of 19 and 580.
Since it wasn't trolling, I'll report, It appears that your street must have been sucked up by a sink hole, never to be seen again!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
After some research, I found a few examples citing a 33515 zip code in Clearwater. Here is one of many, if you view the bottom right entry:

Image Link

It appears the zip code was merged into 33755 and 33765, because Nelson Ave was part of 33515 back in the early 80's according to some records I found.
Thanks. Still seems odd to me that they'd do away with an existing ZIP code, but at least now I know I did remember it correctly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Decided to see if I can offer some help for your first question, with Summerdale.

This is a map of the same area in 1971. It appears you may have confused a memory? It would make sense for your Summerdale to run east/west if you were incorrect on it's actual position...as in turning a true map 90 degrees counter clockwise. Then, this same Summerdale would be on the NW side and run east/west.

It appears nothing was removed from one map to another...just a lot of additions.
I'm truly baffled right now.

Like I said, my husband and I rarely agree on anything any more, so for his recollection to exactly match mine was a miracle in itself. (Back in the '70s, when I was a teenager, he could do no wrong! Now? In my 50s? Well, not so much. ) We also exactly agree that leaving our house (actually a duplex we rented) on Summerdale, we'd turn RIGHT onto 19 and head SOUTH to visit my in-laws (on Lorena Ln in Clearwater) and to head to MacDill AFB.

We got married while we were living in Florida. I just checked and our marriage certificate doesn't include our address. But I'm sure the Florida department of vital records would have it, so I think they may be my next stop. I had already perused what was available online and didn't see anything, so I think I'll have to call and speak to an actual person.

Oh, I had a thought after looking at the maps. Street names *DO* get changed. I'm thinking maybe...perhaps...possibly...that's the solution to this mystery. OUR Summerdale may now be called something else. (Although, honestly, Evans Rd--which extends west far enough to qualify--doesn't seem likely; its proximity to 580 is too far. But Maxwell Dr, which fits our memory better in terms of its proximity to 580, ends to the west way too soon. I'm lost. )

BTW, THANK YOU for your help. I really appreciate your taking the time to try to help sort things out.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Since it wasn't trolling, I'll report, It appears that your street must have been sucked up by a sink hole, never to be seen again!
Whatever floats your boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay