U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 PM

658 posts, read 583,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hoboken is VERY expensive and the days of inexpensive apartments are long gone. In fact, it has gotten almost as bad as living in Manhattan. Both of my stepdaughters live in Hoboken. It's short proximity to the city make it very high rent. Ditto with Jersey City these days.

I wasn't talking about commuting to and from Manhattan. I'm talking about getting to and from any of the airports.
I think it depends where in Hoboken and JC you live. If you live a step from the terminal, path, it'll be a bit expensive. There are also new high end places which can also be expensive. I have friends in JC that pay extremely low rents, not in downtown JC, but still walking distance from the lightrail/path. And these are 3 bedroom apartments in a 2 family house, heat included. The house i lived in is a 2 minute walk to the lightrail.

I 'm very familiar with weehawken, west new york, north bergen, fairview, rutherford, east rutherford, hoboken, jersey city, secaucus. There are many more, but these are just a few where you can find decent size apartments below 1500. I only moved a year and half ago and visit often.

One more thing, even if you live in a high place in hoboken and JC, you are actually closer to the ghetto than where i lived. You pay for the convinience of hopping on a train and being in manhattan in 10 minutes. I got there in 25-30 minutes. There were also high end rentals around the corner from my ex-place, they pay well over 2k for a similar size apartment. Why would anyone pay double the rent i was paying beats me, but there were renters.

I'm not talking high end places a step from the path/lightrail, just decent apartments in the same area.

The options are there.

Last edited by SarasotaBound1; 12-16-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM

4,815 posts, read 3,464,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
I think it depends where in Hoboken and JC you live. If you live a step from the terminal, path, it'll be a bit expensive. There are also new high end places which can also be expensive. I have friends in JC that pay extremely low rents, not in downtown JC, but still walking distance from the lightrail/path. And these are 3 bedroom apartments in a 2 family house. The house i lived in is a 2 minute walk to the lightrail.

I 'm very familiar with weehawken, west new york, north bergen, fairview, rutherford, east rutherford, hoboken, jersey city, secaucus. There are many more, but these are just a few where you can find decent size apartments below 1500. I only moved a year and half ago and visit often.

One more thing, even if you live in a high place in hoboken and JC, you are actually closer to the ghetto than where i lived. You pay for the convinience of hopping on a train and being in manhattan in 10 minutes. I got there in 25-30 minutes. There were also high end rentals around the corner from my ex-place, they pay well over 2k for a similar size apartment. Why would anyone pay double the rent i was paying beats me, but there were renters.

I'm not talking high end places a step from the path/lightrail, just decent apartments in the same area.

The options are there.
I agree there are places where you can get an apartment heated for under 1.5k. I however disagree with those places not being rough. A lot of JC is crazy ghetto, boarded up houses ,etc, I would never send my kids to those public schools. Unless your job is walking distance to the path, its at least an hour commute by the time you take the subway and transfer to the Path at least an hour. i do think gas is cheaper at least in Nj, food is cheaper, even eating lunch, here in tampa unless you hit up mcdonalds you are out 15-20 for lunch, in nyc i had dozens of choices for less than $10, car insurance is cheaper. I agree COL in the NY area is or rather can be cheaper, IF you send your kids to private school. I owned a house in Glen Rock, NJ my taxes were 10k-12k, and the value of the house was maybe 150k less than my current house in South Tampa, really good schools but i payed basically tuition on property taxes. I can't think of an affordable town in bergen/passaic/morris county that has good,safe public high schools. You would find elementary schools because the attendance area is small enough that you can have a nice little school in a mostly crappy town.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,365,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
I am definately serious. Have you ever lived in the NYC metro area?
I lived in the NYC Metro area for most of my life. No offense but you clearly have NO idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,209,160 times
Have to agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
I lived in the NYC Metro area for most of my life. No offense but you clearly have NO idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 808,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
I don't think you need the exact same salary as you do in NYC, but one cannot take a 40-50% paycut and think that they are going to be upgrading their life. That is not going to happen for most places in Florida.

I did not pay city tax as I did not live in NYC for most of my life (the time I did I left my LI address as the official one since I could not legally put my name on the lease for the city apartment I was in), so that was not a factor in my income here or there. No state income tax is a nice perk, but it does not make up for such a drastic pay cut, and someone banking on that to justify a huge cut in pay is going to be dissapointed.

Utilities do seem the same or higher from what people pay for up north. I have not had a high bill from progress energy so far, but Ive only been here about a month, and I rarely use my a/c now. When I used my a/c during the summer in NYC it was high, and I'm guessing that it won't be that different here in the summer either.

Groceries aren't cheap here, but gas is a lot cheaper here.

The cost of living calculator puts the difference in cost of living b/t Nassau County or NYC to St Pete as 45% cheaper but that isn't reality. I think the calculator is coming up with that number because of the average home and apartment price in the city overall which is full of low income or houses in the ghetto. A nice place to live is going to run just a few hundred cheaper than NYC, not a full 45%.

The #1 factor that is going to effect whether or not someone can take a paycut like that to come here is if they have bills and debt from NY. If that is the case, the lower pay on top of the new expenses are going to make it very difficult. If one is coming with a clean slate and savings, it will be a lot easier.
So much of this depends on your financial situation and personal choices, though. We took a massive paycut to come here. Two years later, I work a heck of a lot less (so much better quality of life), and we have nearly equivalent day-to-day purchasing power. We find pretty much everything here costs less: mortgage/escrow payment is about half, no state/city income tax, utilities are lower, fun stuff (restaurants, weekend stuff to do, nightlife, etc.) is way cheaper, our commutes are shorter, etc. It's really not close from a cost perspective. Of course, other than no state/city income tax, all of those things are lower because of decisions we made. And whether the income tax difference matters all that much to you probably depends on how much you make. This is also specific to where we lived in southeast PA. It would be a much bigger cost savings for friends in Manhattan who are paying $3k/mo for a one-bedroom, $10+ per beer, etc. Apparently a different story if you're comparing to where you were on Long Island, where another poster was in north Jersey, etc. It's just very hard to generalize financial decisions, especially across large and socio-economically diverse places, like NYC and the Tampa Bay area. Same problem with the calculator you found.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM

658 posts, read 583,164 times
Quote:
Perhaps i don't know, i've provided examples of places where you can search online and see for yourself. I've never lived in Manhattan, but never lived in a ghetto either. I'm not offended at all, go search for yourself.

NYC metro is not manhattan where a 1 bedroom tiny apartment will run you over 5k month. That is the misconception and it's not correct. As i have said in many posts, i was paying $1300 for a 1400 sqrft apartment in a 2 family home, heat included. People around the corner were paying more than double, for a similar apartment in a new building.

I seriously could care less if anyone wants to believe this or not, i can move to new york tomorrow and get a decent size rental for $1500, in decent neighborhood, average schools.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM

9,080 posts, read 8,224,095 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 PM

477 posts, read 1,240,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
So much of this depends on your financial situation and personal choices, though. We took a massive paycut to come here. Two years later, I work a heck of a lot less (so much better quality of life), and we have nearly equivalent day-to-day purchasing power. We find pretty much everything here costs less: mortgage/escrow payment is about half, no state/city income tax, utilities are lower, fun stuff (restaurants, weekend stuff to do, nightlife, etc.) is way cheaper, our commutes are shorter, etc. It's really not close from a cost perspective. Of course, other than no state/city income tax, all of those things are lower because of decisions we made. And whether the income tax difference matters all that much to you probably depends on how much you make. This is also specific to where we lived in southeast PA. It would be a much bigger cost savings for friends in Manhattan who are paying $3k/mo for a one-bedroom, $10+ per beer, etc. Apparently a different story if you're comparing to where you were on Long Island, where another poster was in north Jersey, etc. It's just very hard to generalize financial decisions, especially across large and socio-economically diverse places, like NYC and the Tampa Bay area. Same problem with the calculator you found.
I know in 2 years I will be much better off, but in the beginning it is a little rough. The moving expenses on top of getting used to the cut in pay isn't easy at first, but I know that I will be better off in the long run. I lived for most of my life on LI, but I did live in Manhattan for 5 years. I was lucky that I was living in a rent stablized apt so I was paying $1200/month, but I did not have the expense of a car like I did when I lived on LI. Now that I am 10 miles from my new job and I don't pay for parking, I went from paying $65 a week in gas, $90 a month in parking at work to eliminating that expense almost entirely. I have only put gas in my car twice since arriving in Florida nearly a month ago, and that was only because I have taken a few trips to Sarasota and Bradenton.

That being said, my car insurance went up and my car payment and rent payment stayed the same, so taking a drastic pay cut would have made things very difficult. I know I personally wouldn't have moved here if I had to take more than a 25% paycut, but that is just me.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 AM

45 posts, read 64,936 times
Don't do it!! Not Fl!!! We just left Tampa to give our 1 year old a better life up north. The education system is horrendous, horrible, terrible, I can not stress enough what a bad decision it would be for the education of your children. Our neighbors moved from up north to Tampa with their children, in hopes of a better life too. They are now upside down in their home, the kids are miserable, never go outside because of the constant scorching heat, the parents don't want them to play with other kids in the area because the "natives" are products of the education system which results in not the best playmates, and there is nothing to do. Moving to fl as an adult is one thing, but bringing northern children down here is wrong!! There are no activities for families, no seasons (which bring different activities),and no opportunities. I know this is prob an offensive post to some but trust me there IS a difference between the north and the south, and children raised up north can make it as adults in the south, however not so sure about the other way around. Sorry to be mean.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 PM

45 posts, read 64,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Please do not underestimate how quickly your happiness and savings will dissipate when you are trying to make ends meet on $10 an hour.

Employers do not pay anything here because they don't have to. Tons of retirees are lined up to take jobs for little money just to get out of the house and have pocket money.

I agree with the poster that said to split the difference and try somewhere in the southeast.

I have so many co-workers that moved down here with their spouse/partner/family that cannot find ood, full time employment (I work at a department store and these co-workers are temporary holiday help) and are absolutely blowing through savings.

It can destroy your family.
Yes, yes, yes, the is 100% true. There are no job opportunities and you have to fight for a 10 dollar an hour job. Also a lot of reverse racism in the employment field. All I can say is that if a certain nationality is in a hiring position down there, they seem to only hire their own. So that closes many, many doors. Education and experience mean nothing down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay