Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM

14 posts, read 34,890 times

Advertisements

Hi all and thank you in advance for any replies I may receive. I am currently living in NYC with my husband and 2 little girls ages 1 and 3. We want to give them a better quality of life and are seriously considering taking a risk and moving our lives to Tampa, we had a friend who lived in fishkill but has since moved due to the military. We don't know anything about Tampa, best schools, safest family friendly neighborhoods, jobs(automotive) etc etc etc....how do people get up and move to another state? How do we transition? What steps should we take?! Omg my brain just won't shut off...I would really appreciate any insight you may have.

Stressed in the city that never sleeps...

Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiswifey812 View Post
Hi all and thank you in advance for any replies I may receive. I am currently living in NYC with my husband and 2 little girls ages 1 and 3. We want to give them a better quality of life and are seriously considering taking a risk and moving our lives to Tampa, we had a friend who lived in fishkill but has since moved due to the military. We don't know anything about Tampa, best schools, safest family friendly neighborhoods, jobs(automotive) etc etc etc....how do people get up and move to another state? How do we transition? What steps should we take?! Omg my brain just won't shut off...I would really appreciate any insight you may have.

First and foremost, what is your work situation?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 AM

I'm currently a stay at home mom.... My husband is a service manager for a Goodyear automotive repair shop here in ny....

Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 AM

315 posts, read 652,270 times
Quote:
I'm currently a stay at home mom.... My husband is a service manager for a Goodyear automotive repair shop here in ny....

hmm, are you willing to get a job in the future? While a service manager may make more up there down here he may be looking at a base salary of 40-50k (and thats on the high end) plus commission, may not be enough to live a "better" or "comfortable" lifestyle....

Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM

121 posts, read 217,274 times
How did you pick Tampa?

1. Have a job
2. Visit
3. Check greatschools.net
4. Visit
5. Have a job
6. Don't move for the weather...
7. Make a list of what is important to you, and then Google it to see if it exists in Tampa.
8. Visit again.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times
Hello,
First of all, I got up and moved from Northern VA (DC Area) for the same reasons you are considering move. The way I did it is I transferred my corporate job to the Tampa office. Before I started that process, I applied to numerous jobs and started researching all things Tampa. I utlized the internet and read hundreds of reviews on schools and joined informative forums such as City Data and researched, researched and read and read up on everything I had questions on. Once my job transfer went through, I put all of my furniture in storage and moved to Tampa with a relative for 3 weeks while I got familiar with the area, my new job and surroundings. I met with a realtor in the evenings after work during the 3 weeks I lived with a relative until I found an area and house that I liked and it was done and you can do it to by following these similar measures. I will tell you that my quality of life has DRASTICALLY improved since moving here and it was the best thing I could have done for my family. Good Luck to you!

Quote:

Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 AM

aw thanks everyone for the replies!!! I SO appreciate it!!... Yes my husband makes double the salary here BUT he is miserable here, I am too... if we have to take a pay cut for our happiness, dont you think it will be worth it in the long run? UGH the headache this is causing me... NYC is very expensive and all the $$ we are throwing away at these high rents and utilities and and and and and we should atleast be happy and we are not... the school systems here are not great at all and the schools that are great have a 3 year waiting list! I want my soon to be preschooler to shine in life, I think if we stay here we are jeopardizing a great future for her and her little sister... ugh this is tough :-(

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Why Tampa?

Yes, NYC is expensive and is ridding itself of what is left of the middle class, IMHO.

There are a million things to think about before making a relocation. The most important one I think is a good cash reserve. In your case maybe 20-25k. Having a job to transfer to is the 2nd most important thing on my list.

Check out the City Data ratings for Tampa. http://www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

If you still feel Tampa fits your requirements after reading through that think about making a visit
to the area before going any further. You may find the climate and other things to be unsuitable.

For the answers to the rest of your questions, there are hundreds of threads here that will give you various insights.

Quote:

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks! and why tampa? well for one my husbands family all live in Orlando (which I do not see myself living in) and I hear Tampa is only 45 mins to an hour away from there... I dont know any other parts of florida besides miami and orlando both of which I am not interested in moving to... I hear Tampa has one of the best school systems which is top priority for me since I have two little ones...We fortunately have a great amount in savings which we were hoping to use to buy a house but we can rent for now and keep the savings? IDK this is frustrating for us as we dont have any family or friends in Tampa.... the one friend I had moved from FishHawk or Fishkill I forgot the name but she highly recommended us to look there... any other parts of Fla you suggest? we have an open mind! :-)

Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd start with a 2 week vacation to the area with a heavy focus/emphasis on job potential and potential communities to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay