U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM

658 posts, read 583,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
You're right but I was not one of those greedy people, I had just got married and thought I had to buy then or else I would never be able to afford a home, now Im stuck somewhere I hate and am now diliberating on what to do...
Not really saying everyone that bought were doing anything wrong, even those looking for profit. Just that they got in by themselves and should resolve their own issues. Tax payers had nothing to do with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,781,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Yeah I knew all that too. Regardless, government's fault, bank's fault, all I know is it's not my fault I can't sell my home for anywhere close to what I paid so I dont see why I should have to suffer for it. Good lesson is to vote people into office that wont interfere with the free market like that.
Agreed!

I wish the best for you. It sucks when other people can find a way to negatively affect you and that's exactly what has happened to so many people.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
+100

The majority, including governmet, want the best for society. The key is maintaining a balance and transparancy. To hit up on tn the housing issue, people originally wanted affordable housing, a politician promised it, he got voted in, he implemented laws to make it happen. Did he ever stop to think how this manipulation would cause negative feedback loops in the future? Nope

The markets can do it on their own, they just need time. After all the calamities and near collapse scenario, the majority is still asking for more. Do they know that all this manipulation is the cause? Nope. Will Bernanke, Geithner, congress, the white house ever confess that it's the same manipulation? Never..

We had a major crisis 4 years ago, here we are and people are asking for more, free food, healthcare, housing, full employment, etc...

We are going full speed and the wall is getting close. Strap on your seatbelt..
We have a problem though. Look at the latest election results in Tampa Bay. The majority of voters now want more, more, more and more for what they "think" is free. We have tipped the scales into the irresponsible side and I'm not sure we can ever get it back. It's everyone for themselves now. They vote based on who promises them more, without ever studying history and learning that every action has an equal and "opposite" reaction.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
We have a problem though. Look at the latest election results in Tampa Bay. The majority of voters now want more, more, more and more for what they "think" is free. We have tipped the scales into the irresponsible side and I'm not sure we can ever get it back. It's everyone for themselves now. They vote based on who promises them more, without ever studying history and learning that every action has an equal and "opposite" reaction.
The market always restores balance. It's a question of when. You can fool the market for a while, but the more you do, the more painful it will be when the re-adjustment comes.

You are right, our government is a reflection of us. It is what the majority wants. But believe me, the adjustment is coming whether we are ready or not or whether we like it or not.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM

2,709 posts, read 4,386,598 times
Quote:
You need to study history to understand what happened and you really need to stop falling for the big bad bank excuses.

Here is your lesson.

Jimmy Carter, with good intentions, passed the Community Reinvestment Act. This act "forced" banks to do business in areas and with people that were much more risky at the time. This was an added expense and risk to the banks, forced upon them by government. The intent was to help get financing to people who normally could not afford it, in order to spur economic growth. Well, it did not happen because the people they were targeting simply did not qualify for the loans. So in order to correct that issue, Bill Clinton "lowered the lending standards" so that the previously unqualifiable could then qualify. This started the snowball running downhill. Once everybody and anybody could qualify for loans, this created massive demand for homes. Massive quick demand resulted in extraordinary increases in housing value. The more the prices went up, the more home buyers made. The more they made, the more expensive homes they bought......flipping, upsizing, etc.

So imagine this now if you are a business. The government forced you to lend to people who normally were not a good risk. If you don't lend, the government comes down on you. But now everyone is buying and everyone is lending. If you don't lend, you go out of business. So what do you do with suspect loans you were forced to make? You package them to dump off on someone else, hoping you aren't holding too many when the music stops.

The summary is that government, with good intentions, caused this entire thing to start. Greedy home buyers brought this disaster to a new level. The so-called big bad banks were simply trying to comply with the regulations and yet stay in business. If the government never forced banks to lend to less than quality consumers and if home buyers weren't so greedy themselves, this entire housing crisis would never have happened.
Interesting, you went back to Jimmy Carter then jump to Bill Clinton to teach us what makes the economic mess. Hmm, are we missing some other presidents that helped loose financial regulation, have wall street what ever they want, which in fact is the main reason that brought the financial market to fall? .

There is a lot of holes in your explanantion.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Interesting, you went back to Jimmy Carter then jump to Bill Clinton to teach us what makes the economic mess. Hmm, are we missing some other presidents that helped loose financial regulation, have wall street what ever they want, which in fact is the main reason that brought the financial market to fall? .

We are the first ones to blame for thinking there is such a thing as a free lunch. All presidents, fed reserve, congresses, house of reps, treasury, they all know there is no free lunch. They've all allowed themselves to get bought by money and selfishness. None has had the decency to tell the truth.

Not that people want to hear the truth, but we won't heal until we do. For now, strap on your seat belts, we are about to hit the wall.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post

I illustrated the two main and initial reasons why this mess got started. Those are historical facts. They are not in debate, however most people don't even realize they did what they did. It is true that no presidents have had the courage to shut off people and businesses from the government teet. Whenever any politician tries to enlighten people, such as several politicians in the earlier years of the Bush (son) administration, they get viciously attacked by people such as Maxine Waters, Barney Frank and Dodd. Fear is a politician's best friend when it comes to getting reelected. Research history and see what they said and did to those that tried to bring up the impending collapse. Voters and home buyers did not want to hear the truth. They wanted to keep playing with Monopoly money, instead of acting like adults.

So yes, as I said earlier, home buyers and voters are greatly to blame as well.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM

792 posts, read 2,014,749 times
Quote:
I illustrated the two main and initial reasons why this mess got started. Those are historical facts. They are not in debate, however most people don't even realize they did what they did. It is true that no presidents have had the courage to shut off people and businesses from the government teet. Whenever any politician tries to enlighten people, such as several politicians in the earlier years of the Bush (son) administration, they get viciously attacked by people such as Maxine Waters, Barney Frank and Dodd. Fear is a politician's best friend when it comes to getting reelected. Research history and see what they said and did to those that tried to bring up the impending collapse. Voters and home buyers did not want to hear the truth. They wanted to keep playing with Monopoly money, instead of acting like adults.

So yes, as I said earlier, home buyers and voters are greatly to blame as well.
All your posts are typical republican drivel.

If you are too biased to see that both parties are in cahoots together for their own gain, then your just blind to reality.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,243,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

If you are too biased to see that both parties are in cahoots together for their own gain, then your just blind to reality.
I agree. Both Bush1 and 2 were a total joke.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

LOL!!!! I'm not a republican. LOL!!!!

I just study history and understand what started this mess and who the players were......And still are. It's not my problem some people's ideology or their Bush derangement syndrome don't allow them to sell "ALL" the facts.

But whatever. I did very well during the entire meltdown, because I understood reality and planned accordingly. That's what happens when you study history and can basically predict the future, because you can see other people simply repeating history. It's almost like having that sports book in Back To The Future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay