U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 AM

494 posts, read 877,146 times

Advertisements

I'm considering looking at condos in Kings Point in Sun City Center and would be grateful for any info anyone may have.

Are some associations within this larger community better managed and/or more financially solvent than others? Do they typically use the monthly dues to cover everything, or are special assessments for things like roof replacement the norm? Are the lower priced condos mainly renters? Is there pride of ownership there, and a nice neighborhood atmosphere, in general (and again, do the different condo associations vary on this)? If there are some amenities (e.g., golf courses or anything else) that are not owned by the association, are condo owners obligated to pay mandatory fees for those? Some of the buildings are older--are they generally well constructed and well maintained, or would the older units be an iffy investment? Are the associations having problems finding insurance at a reasonable cost?

If anyone lives there (or knows someone who does) who'd be willing to talk with a potential resident about the pros and cons of buying there (or in Sun City Center), please DM me.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a realtor who covers that area?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,118,692 times
there are several threads on Sun City Center, retirement communities, etc - you'll find a lot of your questions discussed there. Recommend using the forum search to find 'em.

These folks have an office directly smack in the middle of the community.

http://www.c21beggins.com/Office/Off...Sales%20Office

Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks, BucFan. I tried to rep you; got the "have to spread it around first" pop-up.

I have read through the past posts (that include many helpful, detailed posts by you--thank you!).

Having decided Kings Point is a good place for me to look, I'm just a bit daunted by the many, many associations to research--was hoping a current resident might be able to steer me to a good association (to avoid the usual things that can make condos a bad investment, like inadequate roof reserves, special assessments needed due to unplanned-for expenses or shortfalls in dues because of foreclosures, deteriorating construction, pending lawsuits against the association, a dysfunctional association board, etc.).

Or failing a helpful resident seeing this and replying, I was hoping to connect with a realtor who would know these things.

I guess I worry about potential issues with condos more than the average person (having taken what, for me, was a very large financial hit in the past), so I'd be looking for a really good realtor--someone who's made a point of being well-informed about these issues (which are so important to avoiding a costly real estate mistake) in order to connect buyers with the more solid properties, even though the buyers they work with may not have thought to ask for this info.

In my experience, most realtors simply don't have this info, and perhaps it's unreasonable to expect them to, but I'm looking for that person who's gone the extra mile in the past and so would have this info at their fingertips without have to spend time researching it for me, because obviously, looking in the lower price range, I can't expect a realtor to do research for just me.

Thanks again, BucFan, and thanks in advance to anyone who has any more info to add (or to direct message to me).

Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM

dlhanson is the only regular poster that I'm aware of that lives in the SCC community. Maybe you can message him directly

Old 12-28-2012, 03:16 PM

3,924 posts, read 10,293,842 times
I sent you a DM. One of my trusted colleagues has lived and worked in SCC for over 20 years. She knows so much about the community it never ceases to amaze me. If I was buying or selling real estate in Sun City, she is the one person I'd want working for me. I'm sure there are others trustworthy, but I once got a hard sell job put on me in the developer's office and I wasn't even looking to buy! I guess I fit the visual profile - LOL!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Thank you both--these replies are very helpful and much appreciated!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM

177 posts, read 610,445 times
One of the moderators asked me to comment since we live in Sun City Center (since June 2011). I have to plead ignorance about Kings Point though. Since I do my own lawn work and we like to live in a single family detached home, we weren't interested in Kings Point (although there a few single family detached homes there).

However, I do know why we decided to move to Sun City Center:

1.We wanted a 55+ community -- not so much to avoid children -- but because of all the clubs and activities specifically for 55+ people. There is an advantage of quieter neighborhoods with less traffic and more courtesy (people pick up their dog's poop if deposited in your yard and at least in our neighborhood, no loud rock music or dogs barking all night long like in our old neighborhood in South Carolina). And no kids knocking down our mailbox like they did several times in South Carolina.

2. Cost of clubs and activities were less in Sun City Center than in the Ocala area 55+ communities because Sun City Center started in the early 1960's and we don't have to pay for a lot of new facilities -- just incremental new and modified facilities. We pay something $520 per year to the Community Association for amenities and $30 per year to the HOA to keep our neighborhood looking nice (through enforcement of standards). We wouldn't buy a home that wasn't in an HOA even though we have to get permission for any little change outside --- we have seen how many neighborhoods without an HOA look -- yuck!

3. Weather is warmer here than in the Ocala area. DW doesn't tolerate cold very well. Winters here are little cold for her but we both like the hot summers here.

4. Houses are less expensive than around Sarasota and Lakewood Ranch areas.

5. We are able to have a garden plot in the community garden. We also are able to go to u-pick vegetable and citrus farms in Hillsborough and Manatee Counties. From what we could tell, there are more u-pick farms here than in other parts of Florida.

6. Some less chance of hurricane damage compared to Pinellas County and less chance of a hurricane hit compared to areas south (like Miami or Port Charlotte for example).

7. Plentiful medical facilities and elder care facilities and services in the community for when we need them. I ride my bicycle around the community but it is nice to know that we can drive in golf cart in the area if we eventually are unable to drive a car but are still able to drive a golf cart.

8. Not too far from Tampa and Sarasota --- we do much of our shopping in Sarasota to avoid Tampa's traffic though. Our children and grandchildren are able to fly into TIA and some of the flights are relatively inexpensive (one of our sons and our daughter-in-law flew down from NY a few weeks ago for just over $200 each).

We bought a home built in 1989 and had it updated with 100% tile floors (except in the living room where we put in oak flooring), new quartz counter tops, and a few other changes inside. We want to update our driveway next year. We enjoy our home and the community very much.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks very much, DLHanson. I appreciate your taking the time to post all these helpful details (including something that I hadn't thought of but is a nice bonus--proximity to pick-your-own fruits and veggies!).

And I'm glad your home is working out well for you and that you're enjoying the community!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 AM

17 posts, read 24,532 times
Can I ask a question? Don;t want to steal a thread, but an also looking to move to Sun City or maybe Kingspoint. dlhanson mentions an annual payment of about $500. I'm seeing on the listing a fee that looks to be monthly, of over $400. I suspect I'm looking at different things, but could sure use some explain.

I'm getting tired of Winter, and want to find a place to spend 4 to 6 months. $5,000 per year in fees seems like a lot. Am I missing something?

Rick

Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 AM

There is a one time fee of $1200 for every new resident moving into Sun City Center. $256.00 per year per person is the Community Association Dues for all the ammenties in Sun City Center. In addition to this there are over 100 different HOA associations in SCC depending on where you buy. Charges range from $25.00 a year to $125.00 a month. HOA's that charge $80 to $125.00 a month will usually include grass cutting, basic cable sprinkler systems, etc. These charges are listed and usually listed in the maintenance fees section. There are areas in Sun City Center that do not have any Home Owners Associations also.

Kings Point which is a gated community in SCC are all condos. Again there are many condo associations and the fees range from $300-$600 a month depending on where you live. These fees include all exterior maintenance on the building, lawn maintenance, basic cable, water, sewage, trash removal, building insurance, and all Kings Point's ammenities. These fee are listed in the maintenance fees also. If you buy in Kings Point you do pay the one time fee of $1200.00

All Locations - Real Estate Advice - Trulia Voices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay