U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 AM

14 posts, read 16,557 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend, dog, 2 cats and I might be relicating to the Bay Area for a position in my company. I work in the entertainment business and would be working in Tampa Bay at the football stadium. We are looking for a 2BR place to rent near the beaches and would also be an easier commute to the stadium. We like to go out to eat to various restaurants, stay active by going to the gym/riding bikes and going to the beach. Being by the beach would be great. Also, what are the chances of having a pool at our house/condo we rent?

Our budget is around $1000-$1100/month

Any help would be great.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,989,290 times
Finding a single family home at that price anywhere around the Tampa area is going to be hard to find or in a 'tough' part of town. No pool (sorry) for that price. Some great townhomes, CONDO's, and apartments are in that price range and most have pools.

Some others may be able to provide some that don't show up on my RADAR. Carrollwood is right up Dale Mabry from Raymond James Stadium. That section of the city has a lot to offer. A bit of a drive for the beach, but not that bad.

Another area is Oldsmar, Town and Country, Citrus Park, and a little further (less than 2-5 miles) North of Carrollwood is Cheval, Northdale, and Lutz.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the response. Where is the best commute to the beach and also the football stadium in our budget?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 PM

4,817 posts, read 3,465,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophils27 View Post
Thanks for the response. Where is the best commute to the beach and also the football stadium in our budget?
The beach is not close to the stadium, so you pretty much have to pick one. Tampa is not really walkable except for a few areas in S. Tampa. If you want to be closer to the beach then you pick Pinellas county, which means you have to battle one of the bridges during your commute, if you want a closer commute then pick Hillsborough county.
In hillsborough, the stadium is in the edges of West Tampa and the airport. The area around the stadium is lower middle class mostly hispanic, not much in the way of apartments mostly modest single family homes, if you go a little north/west you have Town and Country again lower income mainly hispanic, they do have some newer apartments that cater to young professionals are gated and provide easy access to the highways. I would look there if you dont mind seeing minorities on your way into the apartments. You go a little north you have the carrolwood area/citrus park this is more your typical suburbs, you will find all the big box stores and chain restaurants you want, the commute will be a lot worse since most of Tampa lives that way. I am personally not a fan every time I have the need to go up there its a horrible traffic ordeal, albeit in rush hour. If you are willing to compromise in the size of your apartment, you can look in the South Tampa area, specifically Westshore, the cheaper apartments are smallish and older, its an awesome location in terms of getting to the stadium, and has the best nightlife and restaurants in the area.

in Pinellas you would be closer to the beach I would look in the Feather Sound area, it has a lot of young professionals, its not a bad compromise, in light traffic days it wouldn't be a bad commute to the stadium. The downtown st pete area is a really nice area for younger people, not too sure about prices, but its another decent compromise in terms of distance to the stadium and closeness to the beach.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,757,810 times
There is no such thing as an "easy commute" to the beach if you work at the stadium. IF you add another $1000/1200 to your housing budget then you can live in South Tampa, and take Howard Frankland to the beaches in St Pete. I am not around my computer and so I can't map this out for you now, but use mapquest and type Raymond James to say...Clearwater or Treasure Island and see the distance....then add a lot of stop lights...Commute from hell!

That price range is small for a nice place and definitely not a house with pool....

Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. So I guess it's safe to say that South Tampa is the way to go? We are trying to stay within a short distance to the beach and keeping my commute to RJS within 20-25 mins with less traffic. With the beaches being so beautiful, we think its the best option. What beach areas fit our needs? Do these areas have a good bar/restaurant scene with people late 20s and up? Thanks.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophils27 View Post
Thanks for your help everyone. So I guess it's safe to say that South Tampa is the way to go? We are trying to stay within a short distance to the beach and keeping my commute to RJS within 20-25 mins with less traffic. With the beaches being so beautiful, we think its the best option. What beach areas fit our needs? Do these areas have a good bar/restaurant scene with people late 20s and up? Thanks.
I will reiterate: There is no such thing as being close to the beach, and have a commute of 20-25 minutes to RJ.

Notice how much I am zoomed out, #4 is the stadium on the right hand side of the map.

MapQuest gives 35-40 minutes to Clearwater, and that does NOT include all the traffic, and stop lights on Gulf to bay:

To Treasure Island, about 38 minutes...also without stop lights and traffic:

My best suggestion is that you hop on a plane, and come see for yourself.
South Tampa, or better Carrollwood, are your best options to live in, so you're close to the stadium. Regarding beach going every morning, that won't happen, because the beaches are not close to Tampa; they are in Pinellas County, and even though it might seem tiny on the map, its not. The traffic is very heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
30yr old - Possible relocation from Philadelphia to the Tampa Bay Area.-region-capture-1.png   30yr old - Possible relocation from Philadelphia to the Tampa Bay Area.-region-capture-2.png   30yr old - Possible relocation from Philadelphia to the Tampa Bay Area.-region-capture-4.png  

Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 AM

315 posts, read 550,852 times
that last post is BS!, you can live in clearwater and make it to RJ in 25 minutes.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
that last post is BS!, you can live in clearwater and make it to RJ in 25 minutes.
BS? That is MAP QUEST time estimate without traffic, or traffic lights, and BTW GOOD LUCK with that!!! 25 minutes my a**! You're dreaming.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 AM

21,118 posts, read 30,210,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
That's about right. This says 13.5 miles of which around a mile would involve stoplights (the mile of Dale Mabry north of I-275.) https://maps.google.com/maps?q=132+L...mid=1356613044

Feather Sound is about the best middle ground as living in South Tampa will make drives to the beach not an attractive proposition (about an hour's drive through many stoplights), versus half the time/distance from Feather Sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or