U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,998,469 times

Advertisements

NJ's is killing me with high property tax and high income tax. In just 3 years, my property tax has gone up by 20%, currently sitting at 12k, which does not include garbage collection and sewer. At this rate, the property tax will hit 20k+ by the end of the decade, and I don't know what other fees they will drop on us.

I have read extensively on the forum and have decided 2 possible locations: Tampa Bay and Houston. My wife prefer Florida over Texas, so this make Tampa Bay our 1st choice. The time frame for the relocation probably in 2014/15.

We are heading down to Florida next month and will make our 1st visit to Tampa Bay. We would like to check out some neighborhoods while we are there.

We are in our 30s with 2 young kids at elementary age. I work from home so job is an non issue. My priority is school and safety. What are some good town/neighborhoods we should be checking out?

BTW, is there any realtor wants to show properties to out of towners?

Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,791,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
NJ's is killing me with high property tax and high income tax. In just 3 years, my property tax has gone up by 20%, currently sitting at 12k, which does not include garbage collection and sewer. At this rate, the property tax will hit 20k+ by the end of the decade, and I don't know what other fees they will drop on us.

I have read extensively on the forum and have decided 2 possible locations: Tampa Bay and Houston. My wife prefer Florida over Texas, so this make Tampa Bay our 1st choice. The time frame for the relocation probably in 2014/15.

We are heading down to Florida next month and will make our 1st visit to Tampa Bay. We would like to check out some neighborhoods while we are there.

We are in our 30s with 2 young kids at elementary age. I work from home so job is an non issue. My priority is school and safety. What are some good town/neighborhoods we should be checking out?

Thanks in advanced.
I have no idea how you lean politically, but what I always find interesting is how the majority of people in NJ/NY vote democrat and then complain about how bad the taxes are and then want to move to another state. I am not saying that you are contradicting yourself, but very many do.

I prefer Florida over Texas as far as weather goes. Politically and economic/business policy wise, I prefer Texas.....although Florida is trying to learn how to be better business wise. I also prefer Florida for location and great beaches.

I live in Palm Harbor and you should put it on your short list of options in the Tampa Bay area. Great great schools, extremely safe, great location and beautiful.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 PM

I vote 3rd party.

I, too have the same position as you. I am more into business and prefer Texas over Florida. But big boss said Texas is too hot.

I will add Palm Harbor to my list. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:23 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,791,508 times
Quote:
I vote 3rd party.

I, too have the same position as you. I am more into business and prefer Texas over Florida. But big boss said Texas is too hot.

I will add Palm Harbor to my list. Thanks.
Big boss is ALWAYS right.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 PM

15,130 posts, read 31,049,261 times
Just remember, when Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy! LOL

Since job is a non-issue, I think you would love it somewhere here in the Tampa Bay Area. There is a lot of variety, depending on how you would like to live, and your budget.

Check out neighborhoods in the South Tampa area (best schools are there). Second check out Carrollwood (in Tampa).

If you go over the bridge to St. Pete, check out Safety Harbor (small quaint town) or the Old NE section of downtown St. Pete.

Have fun!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM

4,817 posts, read 3,468,285 times
I would look into South Tampa, if you were paying that much in taxes then your housing budget should be fine.My property taxes in Glen Rock, NJ were 9k back in '05 so I feel your pain. Try to find something in the Roosevelt Elementary boundaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I have no idea how you lean politically, but what I always find interesting is how the majority of people in NJ/NY vote democrat and then complain about how bad the taxes are and then want to move to another state. I am not saying that you are contradicting yourself, but very many do.
Property taxes are state/local taxes last I checked there was a Republican Governor in NJ.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:59 PM

I am going down with my kids, 4 and 5. I am planning to go to the Tampa "treo": aquarium, zoo and museum.

Is there anything else fun for kids to do? How's the beach in January? I am thinking about the Honeymoon State park. (no necessary going into the water, but kids love the sands)

My list so far:
Palm Harbor
South Tampa
Carrollwood
Safety Harbor

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:08 PM

4,500 posts, read 6,565,417 times
Sounds good to me. If you want to at least see the beach Honeymoon Island is very nice.
There is a photo at the beginning of this forum that shows Caladesi which is a small island that you can take a ferry from Honeymoon to it. The ride is very short and along the way you see jumping dolphins, which always amazes me.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,131 times
Default Safety Harbor is the place to be

Maybe you should buy my home in Safety Harbor for about $190,000. I have been here since 1964, and in my opinion, Safety Harbor is the best city in Pinellas County. Everything is near and convenient: airports, shopping, beaches, entertainment, nature, great parks, good schools, reasonable traffic, low crime, great weather, good fishing, low taxes (mine are $1,300 for a 4/2/2 with a pool)

Downsides: Pinellas is the most densely populated county in Florida (although I understand why)

Quote:

Thanks in advanced.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptsailing View Post
Maybe you should buy my home in Safety Harbor for about $190,000. I have been here since 1964, and in my opinion, Safety Harbor is the best city in Pinellas County. Everything is near and convenient: airports, shopping, beaches, entertainment, nature, great parks, good schools, reasonable traffic, low crime, great weather, good fishing, low taxes (mine are $1,300 for a 4/2/2 with a pool)

Downsides: Pinellas is the most densely populated county in Florida (although I understand why)
Damn 1300 in property tax for a 4/2/2 with a pool??? Something like this in NJ, even in the ghetto will be closed to 10k

I would love to take a look, but I have no plan to move right now. It will be at least in another 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay