Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

I have an 8500 gallon pool with a small spillover spa. I have notice more water being lost now that it is dryer out and colder at night. I shut off the pump so I could see how much water was lost in the spa and the pool separately. I am losing about a 1/2" inch in the main pool per day and just under 1/8" inch in the spa per day. The pool gets a good amount of sun all day and is not covered. I am not heating the spa. The spa probably gets more shade than the main pool does.

How much are you losing to evaporation this time of year in your pool and do you lose less in the smaller spa? Is it normal to lose more in the main pool?

Can you recommend anyone near the Palm Harbor area to do a thorough leak test and how much can I expect that to cost? It may be a good time to remarcite the pool if I do have a leak. I wonder how much that would cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM

210 posts, read 576,495 times
Give these guys a call American Leak Detection 727-821-leak Reasonable and they know what they are doing.

try this first....Bucket test....the info you gather will be of great help. Also you could allow the water to continue draining until you see a noticeable leveling off of water levels. Most times it is the light kit that is leaking. Hope this helps. Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
See volume is surface area times depth, so it is very difficult to say the 0.5in is big deal or not. For my pool and for most pools, I think that is significant.

Evaporation from pools or from open water, for that matter, is a function of many things including radiation, humidity, wind speed and so one. But to give you a ball park number open water evaporation in Florida (average over long term) is about 56 inches PER YEAR. So, your 0.5inch per day is way too high for evaporation to account for it. Also, remember we are now in the lowest evaporation time of the year. Think evaporation as a bell curve that starts in January and picks in summer and get back to where it is in December.

Bottom line, you appear to have a leak to have that much water lost that fast.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 PM

I tried the dye test near all the inlets, skimmer and lights, with no dye being drawn in. I couldn't get to the floor drains, as the water is too cold.

I am now doing the bucket test, per the above recommendation.

The pool measures about 12 x 20, so according to the chart I am losing 75 gallons a day.

How much does the American Leak Detection charge to do a leak test?

I have also read that we actually lose more water to evaporation at this time of year here, as the combination of dry air and temperature drops at night creat a better environment for evaporation that summertime with lower temperature drops and already saturated air.....not to mention rainfall in the summer helps replenishes the loss.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM

235 posts, read 1,577,917 times
A lot of people are having the same thing happen, Pool evaporation in the current Tampa Bay climate is your answer. My mom lives in Palm Harbor, same issue, told her not to worry, but she called pinch a penny anyway, they told her not to worry. The extreme dry weather lately (low dew point) will evaporate the water at a much quicker rate.. how this helps

Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLUMBING View Post
A lot of people are having the same thing happen, Pool evaporation in the current Tampa Bay climate is your answer. My mom lives in Palm Harbor, same issue, told her not to worry, but she called pinch a penny anyway, they told her not to worry. The extreme dry weather lately (low dew point) will evaporate the water at a much quicker rate.. how this helps
Thank you Eric.

I have another question, off topic, and I will PM you.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
0.5 inches per day is just too much. There is no way you can loose that much for evaporation no matter what.

Here is summary for pan evaporation (the closest to your pool open water) data for Florida

Southeast Water Climate - A service of the Southeast Climate Consortium - SE Water Climate provides tools to help water managers in the Southeastern United States understand and plan for climatic conditions

You either not correctly measuring the lose or you have a leak.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times
The easiest way to detect evaporation is to fill a bucket full of pool water and mark a line in the inside of the bucket where the level is. If the Level of the bucket drops with the pool level, you have evaporation caused by temperature changes. If the pool level decreases faster than the bucket, you have a leak.

Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
0.5 inches per day is just too much. There is no way you can loose that much for evaporation no matter what.

Here is summary for pan evaporation (the closest to your pool open water) data for Florida

Southeast Water Climate - A service of the Southeast Climate Consortium - SE Water Climate provides tools to help water managers in the Southeastern United States understand and plan for climatic conditions

You either not correctly measuring the lose or you have a leak.
The rim(?) tiles are 3" tall. I lose the height of the tile each week. I was losing less than half of that when the weather was more humid and warmer just a little while back.

Here is interesting info on evaporation when the air is dryer during the winter months. To my surprise, I have found this information everywhere. I don't know why this differs from the link you provided....but it does.

Aaron's Leak Detection

"Our winter season significantly more dry and windy than the rest of the year. This creates a perfect environment for evaporation in your pool. It's comparable to a sponge... a sopping wet one cannot absorb nearly as much water as a dry one."

Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thession View Post
Give these guys a call American Leak Detection 727-821-leak Reasonable and they know what they are doing.

try this first....Bucket test....the info you gather will be of great help. Also you could allow the water to continue draining until you see a noticeable leveling off of water levels. Most times it is the light kit that is leaking. Hope this helps. Happy New Year

I did the bucket test and definitely have a leak. The bucket lost about 1/8" and the pool lost 1/2" in 24 hours.

I called American Leak Detection and they want $305 to detect the leak and then will charge an additional fee for a permanent repair. WOW! That is outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay