U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM

733 posts, read 1,294,633 times

Advertisements

what i'm going to do with the boxes of books is send them by USPS Media Mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,548 posts, read 3,656,347 times
ABF is by far the best deal for moving. You can find reputable (vetted) loaders/unloaders through U-Haul's web site. I did that then when I needed someone again I just called the guy directly and got a better deal.

Find a storage place, set up the ABF thing, and find an unloader for when the truck arrives at the site. ABF will deliver to a storage facility, but someone has to be there to sign off on the delivery.

I looked at the PODS thing for an interstate move, and they were prohibitively expensive compared to ABF and hiring labor to load and unload, I thought.

I moved a 4000 sf household from the Midwest to Tampa for a little over $4,000 using ABF and hired help.

And while your labor is effectively free, your long term health, i.e., your back, isn't. For what the labor cost me it was worth every penny.

RM

Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,869,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
And while your labor is effectively free, your long term health, i.e., your back, isn't. For what the labor cost me it was worth every penny.

RM
Especially if doing it anytime between April and November!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM

129 posts, read 201,096 times
We moved our things using ABF's version of the POD. Cheaper and with clearer pricing and a smaller size than the POD. They delivered the unit to our house putting it exactly where we wanted it. We loaded it, put a lock on it, they pick it up and took it to Sarasota. We had a tracking number to check on it online to see exactly where it was. We called when we got down here and they delivered it the next day. It was perfect for us. The drivers on both ends were professional and personable.

We have a friend who works for a relocation service that uses Mayflower. We called her up for advice and she's the one who recommended ABF over PODS because of the size we needed. She also advised us not to take any furniture because it wouldn't look right in a FL house. She was absolutely correct and if you look on Craigslist, you'll see a lot of people unloading their furnishings from up north once they get down here.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 PM

27 posts, read 47,257 times
I'll check into ABF and storage facilities. We are also considering selling most of the OH furniture and definitely agree it will not fit the decor of the new FL home. Lots of decisions to make and, hopefully, enough time.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,548 posts, read 3,656,347 times
One of the significant advantages to using professional loaders is their ability to see what's going and load it so that everything fits. You can't place a value on that...

When we loaded in the Midwest we used a crew from a local moving company - they contract their services out to others to help pay the bills and have work on the days they're not moving something.

Their crew came in at the agreed upon time, surveyed all of the furniture and boxes and began loading. In roughly four hours they had loaded boxes and furniture from a 4,000 sf house into a 29 food ABF trailer, and amazingly, everything fit! After watching them do this I know if I had been doing it on my own there is no way I would have figured out how to get everything in the trailer.

Remember, if you use ABF you're paying by the foot, so if you hire professional loaders you may very well end up saving money. We knew we would use the whole trailer due to the size of the load, but if I knew I was going to have a partial load I would definitely pay someone to load for me.

I think our crew of four loaders cost about $600. They were worth every penny.

RM

Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,982,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Joe View Post
I'll check into ABF and storage facilities. We are also considering selling most of the OH furniture and definitely agree it will not fit the decor of the new FL home. Lots of decisions to make and, hopefully, enough time.
You will not be disappointed by ABF. They are great. We got rid of all of our furniture before moving to Florida and I'm so glad we did. It's hard to imagine when you're in the Midwest, but once you get here there's a whole new style and way of life the beautiful weather and surroundings afford you. It's a whole new world and I love it.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 AM

150 posts, read 344,907 times
What does ABF stand for, or is it a company name?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,869,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
What does ABF stand for, or is it a company name?

It's a company name.

Hey one thing to keep in mind when using ABF UPack. Their trailers have no suspension, meaning things are going to bounce and rub a lot. Use plenty of moving blankets around any furniture you bring and pack that baby tight! Not only will packing it tight save you money (since you pay for space used), but it also keeps items from getting damaged.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,893,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia10 View Post
Very expensive IMO. We looked (and priced it out) for a 4 bedroom house, and Penske came out a LOT cheaper. It really depends on your income, and how easy it is for you to deplete your account of $3, 4000 bucks all things included. Ours came to almost $3k. We passed.
I stored mine for 3-4 months while my house was being finished and it came to no where near that much. I think it came to about $700 for a 16 ft POD, that was drop off at the old house, pick-up and storage for 3-4 months and redelivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay