Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,789,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I also live right near the water.....and work outside 5-6 days per week for the last 13+ years.

88-89 is not 90.....but it might as well be.

May, June, July, August, September, October, and many years November all have very high humidity.....

The " reverse west wind flow" is happening more frequently and for longer durations than ever before...

The Gulf water temp used to get up to about 88 degrees in the summer........it has routinely reached 91-93 degrees repeatedly throughout the last decade. The "reverse west wind flow" skyrockets the already high humidity to extremely uncomfortable levels.

Since arriving in Florida in 1987......I have experienced many 80+ degree Thanksgivings with prevailing Southeast, South, or Southwest (the worst) winds.....and have had to crank the A/C down to lower the temp and humidity in the house.

I don't want to argue.......

I'm just saying- even the most die hard Florida lover on these forums would have a hard time making a case for Florida "only being hot and humid for 2 or 3 months"......

Hell......the Washington DC to Boston corridore has 2+ months of "hot and humid" weather every summer.
I guess it just depends on whether or not you like that sort of thing then. I happen to love the heat. The humidity not so much, but I figure I'd rather be hot and sticky than cold and depressed from lack of sunshine. I'm one of those wimpy Floridians who puts on a jacket when it drops below 80! I also love the beach and the water, and I think those things are best experienced when it's hot outside. I lived in northern Indiana for almost 2 years, and it was MISERABLE for me. All that lake-effect snow, gray days, ice, and temps below 20 degrees in the winter … ugh! I'll trade all of that for some heat and humidity any day.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,775,792 times
Summertime humidity was a m-f'er where I came from (Southeastern PA).

I made my first trip to Florida this past September. I was here two weeks, then again for a week in October, and moved here in November. So, I am yet to experience the peak summer months. I'm curious to see how it will compare (I expect it to be worse, so nobody needs to scold me about it).

Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post

I made my first trip to Florida this past September. I was here two weeks, then again for a week in October, and moved here in November. So, I am yet to experience the peak summer months. I'm curious to see how it will compare (I expect it to be worse, so nobody needs to scold me about it).
Get ready. It's as bad as everyone says, unfortunately. But most people who enjoy living here learn to deal with it. It's a minor trade-off for having sunshine and warm weather nearly year round.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM

158 posts, read 437,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post

I was born and raised in central IN and currently live in MD. The summer humidity is no worse in FL than it is up north.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bree~ View Post
I was born and raised in central IN and currently live in MD. The summer humidity is no worse in FL than it is up north.
My sister lives in MD and says the same thing. At least we have the lovely Gulf of Mexico to turn to for some relief though!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
I'm not sure it matters whether the infrastructure or people like it. I employers decide to move from another, due to say - high taxes, they'll move. The infrastructure issue will have to be dealt with at one point, but that normally happens after the fact.

Personally i think the infrastructure in tampa is pretty extensive, the only issues i see is lack of high ways from southeast tampa to northwest tampa and from centraleast tampa to centralwest tampa. Not sure if there is any future plan for this, but that what i see in the map. I guess you can also add more train and bus routes.

Another good highway would be one connecting brandon and north fork, straight down avoiding sarasota.
Huh?

If your employer is moving here, believe me they are a minority ,unless you work in the service industry. Also, you really don't have much of a grasp about our public transportation, which is pretty much nonexistent. Trains??? Have you ever actually been to Tampa?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 PM

158 posts, read 437,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
My sister lives in MD and says the same thing. At least we have the lovely Gulf of Mexico to turn to for some relief though!
Exactly. We have the crappy Atlantic Ocean or Chesapeake Bay. Icky, icky, icky. Good crabs though I cannot wait to be back south and have a grouper sandwich.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 PM

657 posts, read 691,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Huh?

If your employer is moving here, believe me they are a minority ,unless you work in the service industry. Also, you really don't have much of a grasp about our public transportation, which is pretty much nonexistent. Trains??? Have you ever actually been to Tampa?
Service industry is correct and Tampa will be the hub. The public transportation issues will be sorted eventually.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,466,420 times
Good thing we live in the USA. Those that like Florida can move here, those that do not can leave...

Florida is the retirement state for sure, no retirement taxes, most places rarely see freezing temps or snow.

Those coming from areas with a public transportation system are going to be in for shock. As far as sorting it all out, it has not been sorted out in the 40 years I have been here....

Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Service industry is correct and Tampa will be the hub. The public transportation issues will be sorted eventually.

Really? How would you vote on a tax increase to fund this?

Do you have one of the rare service industry jobs that pays a good salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay