U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,101 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hey guys!

My husband and I, plus our 6 year old son, used to live in the Tampa Bay area. We decided to move to NY back in 2007, but we are sick of the outrageous taxes, cold winters and rude people, and we are ready to come back "home". We are currently both working as nurses (LPNs), and we are hoping to find jobs in the Tampa area. We are not moving until at least one of us gets a job.
So here's my question: How much money do you think we would need to move? We live in a small apartment, so we don't have that much stuff. Looking for some real advice from families who have made the move already. Any tips?
Thanks so much!

P.S. It was - 15 a couple days ago, and I am desperate to get out of NYS!!!! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Florida
158 posts, read 386,650 times
Reputation: 115
We are moving back to Tampa next week. For us to rent the home it was 1st month, last month, security deposit, pet deposit - that was about $4,000. He is retiring from the military so the army is paying for our move. We don't have to worry about hiring movers, etc. We will be paying for our gas, meals, and hotel stays from Maryland to Tampa, but will also be reimbursed for that at a later date. Basically we will have gone through about $5,000 - $5,500 to move there. We will be reimbursed for a portion of this, but that is what is/will be depleted from our savings.

Look for positions at the VA for LPN. LPN was my first MOS when I was in the army. Many of my old buddies who separated from service work for the VA. Good pay and benefits. You can look at www.usajobs.gov Good luck with your move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,101 times
Reputation: 10
Anyone else? If it helps, our bills (excluding rent) total 1300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM
 
Location: right here
4,131 posts, read 4,779,740 times
Reputation: 4868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivayla View Post
Hey guys!

My husband and I, plus our 6 year old son, used to live in the Tampa Bay area. We decided to move to NY back in 2007, but we are sick of the outrageous taxes, cold winters and rude people, and we are ready to come back "home". We are currently both working as nurses (LPNs), and we are hoping to find jobs in the Tampa area. We are not moving until at least one of us gets a job.
So here's my question: How much money do you think we would need to move? We live in a small apartment, so we don't have that much stuff. Looking for some real advice from families who have made the move already. Any tips?
Thanks so much!

P.S. It was - 15 a couple days ago, and I am desperate to get out of NYS!!!! Help!

I would MAKE sure you both have jobs...nurses have come to Florida in droves and not many openings-

Do not move here without a job...end of story-our unemployment right now is 8.5%-I would also make sure you have 6 months of salary saved up-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 AM
 
Location: St Pete, FL
119 posts, read 226,846 times
Reputation: 123
We moved here last April from IN. The moving truck and car dolly (we have a 2010 Camaro that rode all the way down) were about $1400. The gas to get down here for the moving truck and our SUV was VERY expensive...probably at least $500. Our rent here is $1100 for a 2bdm 2bath apt. We had to have 1st mo, security dep., pet deposit upfront. That was probably about $2000. Then you have your plates, registration, and lisense for both of us, which was about $1400. We didn't have the luxury of reimbursement, even I being an RN. I agree with others...make sure you have a job first. It took my husband, who is a Restaurant GM and has been for over 20yrs, about 4mos to find a job here. We live in St Pete, he works at Steak N Shake in Largo. Just be prepared no matter what...we pretty much maxed out a credit card moving here due to the hubbys job issue. Good luck, as we moved here for the warm weather too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM
 
121 posts, read 186,388 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivayla View Post
Hey guys!

My husband and I, plus our 6 year old son, used to live in the Tampa Bay area. We decided to move to NY back in 2007, but we are sick of the outrageous taxes, cold winters and rude people, and we are ready to come back "home". We are currently both working as nurses (LPNs), and we are hoping to find jobs in the Tampa area. We are not moving until at least one of us gets a job.
So here's my question: How much money do you think we would need to move? We live in a small apartment, so we don't have that much stuff. Looking for some real advice from families who have made the move already. Any tips?
Thanks so much!
You have to decide "how" you will move: Penske, U-Haul, PODS, Moving company, and then start getting quotes online.

Then, it is not guaranteed that you will find a rental...so, you have to have a plan B regarding that. I assume schools are important, so you will have to find a job, then find a location with good schools not to far from it.....and so on.

The cost of a move can vary based on what services you are looking to have. Penske sucks for example we used it to move up north and it killed us on gas...and it drove VERY SLOW...On our way back we went with U-Haul which was a tad more expensive, but we were able to drive 70/80mph. One car was towed on the back wheels behind the truck. PODS can run you upwards to $4k...not affordable IMO, but others loved it.

Then you have to put deposits depending on your credit for Electric (TECO), Water, Gas, cable maybe etc...In total it can cost you upwards to $7,8k all things considered, and remember the better area you choose to live, the more rent you will pay.

Make a list, get quotes, then get a job, then find a rental, then square up schools, then utilities, then move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,822,220 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I would MAKE sure you both have jobs...nurses have come to Florida in droves and not many openings-

Do not move here without a job...end of story-our unemployment right now is 8.5%-I would also make sure you have 6 months of salary saved up-
What on earth are you talking about when you say there a not many nursing openings?

There are hundreds of current nursing openings. I have multiple job searches set up and there are tons of nursing positions open. Medical Center of Trinity and BayCare both have many many openings.

Where do people come up with some of the things they say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,101 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks so much for the advice! I was thinking we could transfer with agency, since they have a branch in Tampa as well. (a nursing home care agency). As far as a place, we are probably going to end up in Riverview, since my husband's family lives there too. Keep the replies coming, very helpful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 AM
 
Location: right here
4,131 posts, read 4,779,740 times
Reputation: 4868
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
What on earth are you talking about when you say there a not many nursing openings?

There are hundreds of current nursing openings. I have multiple job searches set up and there are tons of nursing positions open. Medical Center of Trinity and BayCare both have many many openings.

Where do people come up with some of the things they say?

Most of the nursing openings have been put on hold....I have many friends who are nurses that cannot move positions-who have YEARS of experience...and live in Florida -because the staffing has been put on hold until at least the middle of 2013-some openings are immediate-and my firneds are RN's. It's naive to believe that you can move somewhere with no job and believe you can be hired quickly-get the jobs first.

"Where do people come up with some of the things they say"=from experience-I work in hospice while in school. We have 20 openings listed but guess what? We aren't hiring right now...it's a what if....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,822,220 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Most of the nursing openings have been put on hold....I have many friends who are nurses that cannot move positions-who have YEARS of experience...and live in Florida -because the staffing has been put on hold until at least the middle of 2013-some openings are immediate-and my firneds are RN's. It's naive to believe that you can move somewhere with no job and believe you can be hired quickly-get the jobs first.

"Where do people come up with some of the things they say"=from experience-I work in hospice while in school. We have 20 openings listed but guess what? We aren't hiring right now...it's a what if....
Well, my mother-in-law is a nurse here and she confirms the positions posted are for real and they can't get nurses fast enough. Nursing is one of those fields that usually always does well and is usually always in demand.

As far as moving without a job, people certainly can do that. If you have a good size nest egg, you can. If you are retired you can.

Also, for those without a large nest egg or being retired, some can still move as long as one of the two have a job that pays the bills.

To say that both people have to be employed first may not always be the case, but certainly can be depending on the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top