Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

So in our short time here, we have been having a ball enjoying all the great things to do here. It's almost an endless list .

Next up for me is fishing. I am a wanna be fisherman. I got my fresh and salt water license today and picked up some fresh water gear & tackle.

Where are the best spots in Pinellas County to fresh water fish (catch & release)? What can I expect to catch? The lightest line I found at the store was 10lb test, which I bought. I only used 4 - 6 lb test up north. Will that work here for the type of fish?

Salt water fishing - I need to buy gear & tackle, but have no clue what to get. Never done it. Where are the best places off Pinellas County to salt water fish? What can I expect to catch?

BTW - No boats for either. From land/dock only.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Fishing is big on my list as well. I am looking forward to doing it once I can put aside some time. Work and too many household projects keep getting in the way.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
I'm curious about this as well. Neither of us has ever fished, really, but are somewhat intrigued by the saltwater possibilities. I see people catching mullet off the piers, is that it unless you have a boat? I guess we're talking about catch and release (I hate cleaning fish, but I love to eat them.)

Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM

235 posts, read 1,577,917 times
Not sure about fresh water, there may be some places around Lake Tarpon from land, maybe Anderson Park. But for saltwater, you can fish along Dunedin causeway, Anclote Park near the powerplant, Desota Park, Skyway Bridge piers, just about any causeway area. You will catch about anything pending what time of year.. Read the fishing reports on Florida Sportsman Forums or Florida Fishing Reports. Gives you an idea of what is biting and tackle needed.. Tight Lines!!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLUMBING View Post
Not sure about fresh water, there may be some places around Lake Tarpon from land, maybe Anderson Park. But for saltwater, you can fish along Dunedin causeway, Anclote Park near the powerplant, Desota Park, Skyway Bridge piers, just about any causeway area. You will catch about anything pending what time of year.. Read the fishing reports on Florida Sportsman Forums or Florida Fishing Reports. Gives you an idea of what is biting and tackle needed.. Tight Lines!!

Cool beans. Thx

Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM

251 posts, read 436,733 times
10 pound test will cover most of your largemouth bass fishing needs. There aren't many downed trees, stumps, or rocks in most Florida lakes so you'll usually only break your line on a fish or maybe an enormous lily pad. You can catch bass off the shore of any freshwater lake pretty easily with a weedless rigged plastic worm, spinnerbait, or topwater lure.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I usually go to one of the two fishing piers at Ft Desoto, also fishing around the pier area in downtown St Pete can be a good place, the A and B areas in this map are where i'm talking about.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=27...sz=16&t=m&z=15

Fresh water fishing in Pinellas? with so much salt water potential in the area? the only freshwater i can think of is perhaps lake Seminole,however i've never tried it..
Bait of choice in salt water would be live shrimp..

Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I usually go to one of the two fishing piers at Ft Desoto, also fishing around the pier area in downtown St Pete can be a good place, the A and B areas in this map are where i'm talking about.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=27...sz=16&t=m&z=15

Fresh water fishing in Pinellas? with so much salt water potential in the area? the only freshwater i can think of is perhaps lake Seminole,however i've never tried it..
Bait of choice in salt water would be live shrimp..
I was thinking Lake Tarpon for fresh water. I'm told it is good for bass.....and gators.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Its a nice looking lake but i've never tried fishing it, i'd probably be more inclined if i had a boat. if you get there let us know how it went, in the mean time we can wet our appetite.
Lake Tarpon | Pinellas County | Florida Fishing Lakes

I do remember renting a cabin and boat on a lake east of Inverness for a few long weekends,had great success, name of the lake was lake Panasoffkee,dozens of similar lakes in the area

Last edited by jambo101; 01-07-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel88 View Post
10 pound test will cover most of your largemouth bass fishing needs. There aren't many downed trees, stumps, or rocks in most Florida lakes so you'll usually only break your line on a fish or maybe an enormous lily pad. You can catch bass off the shore of any freshwater lake pretty easily with a weedless rigged plastic worm, spinnerbait, or topwater lure.
Good to know.

Thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay