U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2007, 08:06 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,768 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old female who is planning to relocate from Northern California to St. Petersburg within the next year or two, and I have so many questions! My main questions are about weather (hurricanes, Severe storms and tropical weather), but would also like information about areas to live, safety, public transportation, entertainment, and anything else you think would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
2,420 posts, read 4,315,945 times
Reputation: 1305
post in the Tampa forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 02:42 PM
 
515 posts, read 1,147,137 times
Reputation: 559
Hurricanes and tropical systems happen just like California gets earthquakes. There's not much you can do about it other than getting insurance. 2004 was a bad year (not for the TB area), but we really haven't had any serious tropical threats since then.

The crime rate in St. Pete (as well as Tampa) is much higher than the national average, however the vast majority of serious crime is concentrated in specific areas. There are plenty of safe areas in both cities. You definitely want to avoid South St. Pete if you want to live over there.

Public transportation here is lacking, which is one of the reasons why not many people choose to use it. Public transportation is limited to busses and the routes are relatively few. This is especially true if you're trying to go from Pinellas County to Hillsborough County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 AM
 
4 posts, read 8,768 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
Hurricanes and tropical systems happen just like California gets earthquakes. There's not much you can do about it other than getting insurance. 2004 was a bad year (not for the TB area), but we really haven't had any serious tropical threats since then.

The crime rate in St. Pete (as well as Tampa) is much higher than the national average, however the vast majority of serious crime is concentrated in specific areas. There are plenty of safe areas in both cities. You definitely want to avoid South St. Pete if you want to live over there.

Public transportation here is lacking, which is one of the reasons why not many people choose to use it. Public transportation is limited to busses and the routes are relatively few. This is especially true if you're trying to go from Pinellas County to Hillsborough County.
Thanks for responding! The reasons I asked about the weather is because I lived in Alabama for five years so I have experienced the indirect effects of hurricane season...and Iím afraid of lightning...

So you say that South St. Pete is not the place to be? I plan on attending the Aveda Institute, and it is located at 235 3rd Street South, is this area or the surrounding areas ok to live? I would love to be in walking distance of the school but what do you think is the most affordable/safe area to live?

Yeah, I've been doing my own research and I came across the psta website and yes the public transportation is very limited...especially compared to the SF Bay Area. Would it be in my best interest to have a vehicle?

I just want to make sure that I get as much information as I can because I will be in school and living on my own and mainly off of my savings for at least eight months. So I need to make allowances for any and everything that may arise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 04:49 AM
 
515 posts, read 1,147,137 times
Reputation: 559
That's in downtown St. Pete. Downtown isn't a bad area and it offers a lot more than downtown Tampa in terms of nightlife and entertainment. I'm not really sure about apartments or condos in the downtown area and how affordable they are. I certainly wouldn't advise living anywhere south of downtown, as South St. Pete is the worst area of the city.

As to whether or not you need a car, well that's a personal decision you'll have to make when you decide where you want to live and what you want to do in your free time. People who live around here rely heavily on personal transportation mainly because the public transportation system is lacking and things are spread out all over the place. It's nothing like SF or other dense urban cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,469 posts, read 6,336,268 times
Reputation: 3488
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs149th View Post
Yeah, I've been doing my own research and I came across the psta website and yes the public transportation is very limited...especially compared to the SF Bay Area. Would it be in my best interest to have a vehicle?

I lived in the Clearwater area for a couple of years without a vehicle of my own (the husband used the family car to commute while I stayed home with two small people). Frankly, it is NOT something I'd recommend for anyone who isn't, say, agoraphobic.
You won't die without one, but you may well wish you had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 11:04 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,768 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I lived in the Clearwater area for a couple of years without a vehicle of my own (the husband used the family car to commute while I stayed home with two small people). Frankly, it is NOT something I'd recommend for anyone who isn't, say, agoraphobic.
You won't die without one, but you may well wish you had.
Thanks for responding. I understand completely what I'll be getting myself into if I don't have a car...I lived in Tuskegee, Alabama(tiny...boring college town) without a vehicle for five years and yeah at times I wished for a quick death... If I absloutly cannot afford a car I hope that I will be able to manage...I hope. If all goes well this year I will have a vehicle...I will just have to work a bit harder...or maybe I can convince my parents to give me a late graduation gift!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 AM
 
13,773 posts, read 33,920,246 times
Reputation: 10561
If you are afraid of lightening then Tpa isn't the place for you. It is the lightening capital of the world..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
74 posts, read 344,944 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs149th View Post
Thanks for responding. I understand completely what I'll be getting myself into if I don't have a car...I lived in Tuskegee, Alabama(tiny...boring college town) without a vehicle for five years and yeah at times I wished for a quick death... If I absloutly cannot afford a car I hope that I will be able to manage...I hope. If all goes well this year I will have a vehicle...I will just have to work a bit harder...or maybe I can convince my parents to give me a late graduation gift!
No doubt about it without a car it won't be good. To reiterate what the other folks have said, public transport here is bad. Personally, I would not live here without a car, no chance at all. Why put yourself through it? Its not that great a place that you should have to - if you can't have a car, plenty of other places in the country are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Mesa
4,018 posts, read 8,646,704 times
Reputation: 3453
Bus service in Pinellas County (St Pete) is much better than Hillsborough county (Tampa) service. Coverage from NE St Pete into downtown Tampa is pretty good (PSAT express route 100, runs all day). IF you have to live without a car, I'd recommend being vehicle-less Pinellas over Hillsborough. As for living in St Pete, try to live north of downtown/Central Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top