U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM
QKL QKL started this thread

11 posts, read 22,629 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I recently moved to Bradenton in order for him to attend school there; however, I just accepted a job in Tampa near the airport. I am looking for advice on a town that is in between the two cities so we would both have about a 30 minute commute. I am not sure if we should look to live in St. Pete or go on the other side of Tampa Bay and live in an area like Riverview?

We are in our late 20s, enjoy nice restaurants, live an active lifestyle and want a safe area that would be condusive to taking walks at night. We are only planning to live in this area for the next 2.5 years as he is finishing up school, so it is more for a convenience factor with the commute than anything else and we could easily drive to Tampa or St. Pete for fun things to do on the weekends. We are interested in renting a 2 bedroom newer condo for $1200 or less.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM

38 posts, read 39,748 times
St. Pete hands down. Just find a spot around the middle of it, so you split the commute in half. You will not like Riverview at all.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 AM

15,184 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morals Always View Post
St. Pete hands down. Just find a spot around the middle of it, so you split the commute in half. You will not like Riverview at all.
Ditto ^^^.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM

420 posts, read 750,451 times
Yea don't go to Riverview unless you're ready for suburban living. It's not a bad neighborhood, it's just geared for families. Devote your search to St. Pete.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
I would try to find something downtown St Pete - not sure what the high rise condos go for, but there's plenty of things to do - nightlife, walking/running, parks, etcs.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Thank you for all of the responses! It definitely sounds like St. Pete is the place to be. I plan on looking into the high-rise condos to see if any of them happen to be in our price range of about $1200/month or less. If anyone has any information on some of the more reasonably priced high-rises there, please let me know. Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
I just pulled up Zillow and the high rises look steep to rent. But there are other condos/apts nearby. I can't vouch for the safety in the area. You really have to be extra careful about St Pete because while you can live in a safe area, only a couple of blocks over, you might be a not-so-safe area. I spend time downtown when going to Rays baseball games (park downtown and trolley to the stadium), and I'm always impressed with the area

There seems to be a higher number of homeless in the outside limits of the downtown area. Of course, you'd have to spend some time looking around to make sure the area is what you're looking for.

201 6th St S APT 106, St Petersburg, FL 33701 - Zillow

http://www.zillow.com/downtown-saint...sburg-fl/rent/

Edit: doesn't look like price of the nicer places fall in your range - but at least by looking at the links, you can see what's available. It appears that there are really nice condos, and then mostly cheaper places fit for college kids (USF St Pete campus is relatively nearby).
There is a large medical center in the area and possibly hospital staff also live in the vicinity.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM

4,822 posts, read 3,477,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QKL View Post
Thank you for all of the responses! It definitely sounds like St. Pete is the place to be. I plan on looking into the high-rise condos to see if any of them happen to be in our price range of about $1200/month or less. If anyone has any information on some of the more reasonably priced high-rises there, please let me know. Thanks again!
I would also say St. Pete is the better option for you, however the Riverview commute would be equal for both of you guys, from St Pete whoever is doing the Bradenton trip has a much easier commute. Whoever is going to the airport has to deal with a lot more traffic.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM

670 posts, read 1,068,102 times
I live in Riverview and love it, but I have to agree with the others and recommend St. Pete for you.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM

I just got done reading some other threads about the safety issue of St. Pete versus South Tampa area...granted Riverview may not be considered South Tampa, but it would likely be a safe suburban area. Also it may have cheaper rent as BUCFAN mentioned the high rises in St. Pete would likely be out of our price range (thank you for putting those links up!!). Safety is a big issue for us and it seems although St. Pete definitely has more stuff going on, it has so many pockets of unsafe areas that it makes me a little nervous. I figure if we lived in a gated, safe communtiy in Riverview we could easily drive to South Tampa for nice restaurants, shopping, etc. I've had a few people comment that Riverview is growing a lot as well.

NALEXAND- if we were to do the Riverview area, do you have any recommendations for gated communities with newer condos?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or