Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM

38 posts, read 47,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Not sure what compromise we are referring to.

The constitution says the creator has given us life and the right to defend it. I personally have zero guns, but this gves me the choice of doing so if i deem it necesary. But it is a right and a choice, not a compromise. If an amendment is passed, citizens will compromise.

Note that the biggest casualties by guns and bullets were not people against people, it's been governments agaisnt un-armed citizens. More people die by alcohol.

Oh and for a long long time, there has been a high rate of murder within young black men.
Who is "the Creator"? And how come he didn't pass the 2nd amendment in Russia, Canada etc?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Woah - this wasn't meant to turn into a gun debate. More of a misappropriation of money.

Yes, I understand that the School District is trying to keep itself from a Liability Lawsuit should something like this happen.. but come on. At least at my kid's school they already have the campus locked off from the outside. To access the class rooms you have to go through the office and get a pass (by swiping your Driver's License which check's you out in a database of some sort).

To me, this is enough of a precaution.

I also understand how you can't put a price on a kid's life. But throwing money away that could be better spent in the district is just silly.

Please take your arguments over the second amendment elsewhere.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Default On the surface.....

......I actually agree with security in the schools. I want even more security. However, I would prefer we bring home the troops from overseas and deploy them in the schools instead. All kids deserve the right to be able to focus on their school work. If there was enough security in the schools, we wouldn't have nearly as many issues with the punks in the schools, not to mention the nut jobs. It would be a lot more affordable to have troops here on our own soil, than deployed overseas. Of course we can change their uniforms and call them something else if that would make the anti-soldier people happy, but I think we have plenty of manpower available without having to spend another $4 million.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
......I actually agree with security in the schools. I want even more security. However, I would prefer we bring home the troops from overseas and deploy them in the schools instead. All kids deserve the right to be able to focus on their school work. If there was enough security in the schools, we wouldn't have nearly as many issues with the punks in the schools, not to mention the nut jobs. It would be a lot more affordable to have troops here on our own soil, than deployed overseas. Of course we can change their informs and call them something else if that would make the anti-soldier people happy, but I think we have plenty of manpower available without having to spend another $4 million.

Armed soldiers in our schools? Remember how upset people were after 9/11 and there were armed soldiers in our airports? Felt like martial law. No thanks.

Having armed people walking around the school is more of a distraction IMO than a news story which will be forgotten about by next school year.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Armed soldiers in our schools? Remember how upset people were after 9/11 and there were armed soldiers in our airports? Felt like martial law. No thanks.

Having armed people walking around the school is more of a distraction IMO than a news story which will be forgotten about by next school year.
That's why I made note of changing uniforms and not calling them soldiers....for the sensitive types.

Call them cops if you want.

Call them professionally trained educational security force.

Whatever.

The point is that we have plenty of manpower available that is already paid for and is currently being misused.

I went to school up north. I can tell you first hand school would have been a lot better if there was a security force there. We wouldn't have had the rampant drug problem we had and the beatings would not have happened.

Remember, not every school is as nice as some people think they are. Some schools are a freaking war zone.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM

158 posts, read 227,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
To access the class rooms you have to go through the office and get a pass

To me, this is enough of a precaution.
and after the whack job of the day shoots his way into the office, shoots everyone in the office, swipes his drivers license to follow such a lame process, and the proceeds down the hall to shoot your child in the back while they run for their lives defenseless and screaming for help....

then what?

spending 4 mil on guards is about "then what".

it isnt a great option but it is some local people doing something while the larger pictures of gun control, or mental health, or whatever, sort themselves out.

our children our vulnerable right now, today, and to not spend a few mil to put up some sort of defense, some sort of insurance, some sort of fight, is just, really, i dunno.

considering all the crap that 4 mil can be wasted on (and is) in schools i think this is a good stop gap measure to a real problem.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
There was an armed deputy sheriff on patrol at Columbine . Didn't top the shooters from attacking the school and killing a dozen people and wounding many more. This was not a rent a cop- this was an actual trained officer who did eventually shoot at the shooters and missed. Shooting a pistol/revolver on a range is very different from real life.

Problem is - one person can only be in one spot at one time. Schools are large. Crazies are crazy and it doesn't take much to create a a diversion.

I have no idea what the solution is. Everything costs so much money, there are drawbacks ( many) to every idea. Like everyone else feels, it is beyond frustrating that this is an issue that has to be dealt with.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
That's why I made note of changing uniforms and not calling them soldiers....for the sensitive types.

Call them cops if you want.

Call them professionally trained educational security force.

Whatever.

The point is that we have plenty of manpower available that is already paid for and is currently being misused.

I went to school up north. I can tell you first hand school would have been a lot better if there was a security force there. We wouldn't have had the rampant drug problem we had and the beatings would not have happened.

Remember, not every school is as nice as some people think they are. Some schools are a freaking war zone.
Soldiers are trained to soldier not police, that is not what they are for, anyone who has any kind of military background will tell you that. We need to address the root causes, even locking the schools down, the shooter can just come when the kids are coming in the school, have you ever been outside of the school 10 min before first bell, there is like 50 kids outside getting dropped off, walking in, getting off buses.
I agree the money could be better spend elsewhere, is not unlike trying to solve illegal immigration by building a fence. I heard an idea on an NPR show, where a town in Maryland was going to let the police department use the schools cafeterias to get cofee and snacks, that way there would be a constant influx of police stopping by, so setting a police table sort of speak, again not a single solution but an ealisy implemented measure that would undoubtedly help.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM

38 posts, read 47,532 times
I don't think Adam Lanza swiped his ID at the front desk.
Or maybe he did, and the he started shooting?!

We cannot have the 2nd amendment and safety at the same time. Something's got to give, and we have to asks ourselves what's more valuable.
1. People's lives
2. People's misplaced prides

Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpajr View Post
considering all the crap that 4 mil can be wasted on (and is) in schools i think this is a good stop gap measure to a real problem.
It's not a real problem. It has happened.... ONCE.

These armed guards are only in the Elementary Schools. They are not putting them in Middle or High Schools.

Last School shooting was..... Columbine... 1999... in a High School.

Another incident took place in the year 1927 in which three bombings occurred in Bath Township, in Michigan, USA. Forty five people were killed and fifty eight were injured due to these bombings

^^^ This is the only other incident you can find regarding many students being murdered in a school.

By the way... the incident in 1927 that killed more people than Newton... the guy didn't use guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay