U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,368,400 times

Advertisements

its not unusual to have warm weather in the 80s in january and the opportunity for very cold weather still exists for the rest of january, february and even march. its 60 in NY today and most of the south is in the 70s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 AM

888 posts, read 1,341,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
its not unusual to have warm weather in the 80s in january and the opportunity for very cold weather still exists for the rest of january, february and even march. its 60 in NY today and most of the south is in the 70s

I do agree that the opportunity definately still exsists.........and hope that we do get at least SOME relief..........

However, the highs have been right around 80 or so........and we are breaking 40yr old records- so I don't agree that this weather in January is common.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
That's what I do each day and I agree, it's been amazing. I guess after living my whole life in a place with rotten weather the majority of the time Florida weather is just a joy to behold. I hope I never lose this sense of wonder and appreciation.
I never thought I would lose my love for the weather, but it happens after 10 or so years down here (at least for some people it does).......

I would like to add that most other places in the country experience the same exact weather we are having right now...........it just happens during different months of the year.

Florida does not have a patent on warm, sunny weather.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,793,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I do agree that the opportunity definately still exsists.........and hope that we do get at least SOME relief..........

However, the highs have been right around 80 or so........and we are breaking 40yr old records- so I don't agree that this weather in January is common.
Relief from what?

It has been in the 60's, 70's and low 80's since November and usually fairly low dew points.

Palm Harbor November Weather 2012 - AccuWeather Forecast for FL 34683

That's pretty comfortable for most people. Too cool and dry for me though.

What exactly is it we needed a break from?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,368,400 times
Quote:
I never thought I would lose my love for the weather, but it happens after 10 or so years down here (at least for some people it does).......

I would like to add that most other places in the country experience the same exact weather we are having right now...........it just happens during different months of the year.

Florida does not have a patent on warm, sunny weather.
and most other places get their beautiful weather in the summer when the days are long, it stays light out til almost 9 and everyone is out and about. florida shuts down in june for most people, its just way too hot to be running around outside all day doing things. late spring, summer and early fall people generally stay indoors in the AC in florida

Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,877,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Relief from what?

I understand people's desires for cooler weather.... but to say a relief? That a bit of a stretch. This weather is not taxing.

It will get cool again, it's only early January. We still have Feb to go through. The weather this week has been more indicative of March & April weather.

At the end of March last year I lost my job. I would apply for jobs in the morning and be in my pool by noon, floating around. Of course, we have a heater, so I heated it up to bring it up to temp... then all was good.

Those that live in cold climates often take a winter vacation to a warm sunny area to escape. Perhaps those that would like to see winter should do the opposite. Go on a vacation to somewhere cold for a week or two during winter. Next winter I would like to take the family somewhere up north to play in the snow. Pretty sure after a week or so of that I'll be happy to be leaving it.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
and most other places get their beautiful weather in the summer when the days are long, it stays light out til almost 9 and everyone is out and about. florida shuts down in june for most people, its just way too hot to be running around outside all day doing things. late spring, summer and early fall people generally stay indoors in the AC in florida
It's upper 80's to 90 in June. Why on earth would that be too hot?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pal...monyr=6/1/2013

The last place I lived had very humid summers to early fall and had temps 90 to 105 and I was still outside every day, working in the yard, playing tennis & golf, bike riding, etc.

Upper 80's to 90 doesn't seem bad at all. Here it is more consistantly close to the averages, whereas where I lived would often times rise well above average. That may be a result of the moderatley sea breeze here.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Relief from what?

It has been in the 60's, 70's and low 80's since November and usually fairly low dew points.

Palm Harbor November Weather 2012 - AccuWeather Forecast for FL 34683

That's pretty comfortable for most people. Too cool and dry for me though.

A break from the monotany of the heat, and humidity............this weather is just too similar to the weather that occurs the rest of the year....

Like I said before...some people will never change their opinion after 20+ years of Florida's weather....

Some people will.......I am definately one of those people that has changed my opinion.

I used to love it (a lot) and now I look forward to "winter" more and more every year- so when it is 80+ degrees for weeks on end in January with high humidity.......I just flat out don't like it.

For the first 10 or so years that I lived here.....I sort of had that "vacation" mentality- where everything is amazing and everything down here is better than up North........

That "feeling" faded away and my opinion has changed. Don't get me wrong....I like warm, sunny weather- in fact, I would chose warm and sunny over any other type of weather for the most part....if we had 4 seasons- summer would probably be my favorite.

The problem is....warm/humid and sunny year round for 20+ years (and getting hotter/more humid) becomes monotanous and annoying.

People like me just want a break (a winter that stays on the cool side of average) for a couple months before the extremely long, hot, humid and monotanous days and nights of a west central Florida extended summer brings.

Last edited by D-R-B; 01-11-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
A break from the monotany of the heat, and humidity............this weather is just too similar to the weather that occurs the rest of the year....

Like I said before...some people will never change their opinion after 20+ years of Florida's weather....

Some people will.......I am definately one of those people that has changed my opinion.

I used to love it (a lot) and now I look forward to "winter" more and more every year- so when it is 80+ degrees for weeks on end in January with high humidity.......I just flat out don't like it.

For the first 10 or so years that I lived here.....I sort of had that "vacation" mentality- where everything is amazing and everything down here is better than up North........

That "feeling" faded away and my opinion has changed. Don't get me wrong....I like warm, sunny weather- in fact, I would chose warm and sunny over any other type of weather for the most part....if we had 4 seasons- summer would probably be my favorite.

The problem is....warm/humid and sunny year round for 20+ years (and getting hotter/more humid) becomes monotanous and annoying.

People like me just want a break (a winter that stays on the cool side of average) for a couple months before the extremely long, hot, humid and monotanous days and nights of a west central Florida extended summer bring.
But that is my point. It hasn't been hot and humid for the last two months. Do you consider the majority of days in the 60's and 70's hot?

And humid? Do you consider the last two months of relatively dry weather with lower dewpoints no different than summertime?

My point is, for people who do not like the warm & humid weather of Florida, we are in the middle of the break from it now. What do people want? Snow?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,877,016 times
Quote:

People like me just want a break (a winter that stays on the cool side of average) for a couple months before the extremely long, hot, humid and monotanous days and nights of a west central Florida extended summer brings.

Seeing how my family never stays in a place longer than 4 years and seems to move to a different climate each time we move.... I feel ya. However, the plan this time is that we are going to stay here in Tampa.... even in the same house until the kids graduate High School. That's the plan. Obviosuly we get tired of EVERYTHING in an area after a short amount of time.

Honestly, if I could find a fill time telecommute job... we'd probably live in an RV and homeschool the kids. I know... we're wacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay