U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,490,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Simple. There are more important things than just money. You can spend your time chasing the almighty buck, so some day you can move to a place you would love to live or you can live comfortably in the place you love right now. Why wait?
Because the difference in pay can make a huge difference in your life. For example, an ex-girlfriend of mine graduated from nursing school two months ago. She wanted badly to move to Orlando. She was offered a job at, I believe Florida Hospital at $48,000/yr. She was also offered a job at Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville for $59,000/yr. She chose to stay in Tennessee.

Believe it or not, a difference in pay of $11,000 a year adds up, that's over $100,000 in a decade!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,776,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Because the difference in pay can make a huge difference in your life. For example, an ex-girlfriend of mine graduated from nursing school two months ago. She wanted badly to move to Orlando. She was offered a job at, I believe Florida Hospital at $48,000/yr. She was also offered a job at Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville for $59,000/yr. She chose to stay in Tennessee.

Believe it or not, a difference in pay of $11,000 a year adds up, that's over $100,000 in a decade!
Again, it's just money. If you can afford to live the way you want to on X dollars, then why would making X dollars plus $11k make you want to move away from a place you absolutely love to live in a place you don't. I'm NOT saying that was the case with your ex-girlfriend. I'm just saying that at some point, money becomes less important.

As an example. I had a very very good paying job in another state, just prior to move here. I gave that up. My pay went from really good to $0. I knew moving here I would take a good hit in pay from where I was. And why was I willing to do that? Because we didn't "need" as much as I was making, so we decided to move to a place we knew we loved and always wanted to be. We could have stayed where we were, which was nice and all, and saved even more money than we otherwise would. For what? So that some day we can move and enjoy the place we always wanted to be? Why not do it now and enjoy even more years?

It's not just about the money.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 AM

888 posts, read 1,339,956 times
It is "more" about the money when you're STARTING your career or you are in your "prime earning years".......like the example about the young nurse above....

This area was practically built on "money from elsewhere"......people start thier careers in other parts of the country, make thier money, work thier way up, get established, ect.....then, sell thier house (bringing thier money with them) and move down.....

At this point.....I can certainly understand a "shift" in priorities- people are at the stage when they can either retire, or work for less in exchange for the weather or activities they want to pursue....

"Starting off" here can be incredibly frustrating though........I'll use a school teacher as an example: the starting pay for teachers down here compared to the northeast or midwest is less.....no big surprise there......but if you look at the difference in pay increase THROUGHOUT thier careers and how little it goes up down here after, let's say 10 years....the difference is HUGE and can not be ignored by most people trying to "make thier way" in the world.

The "brain drain" is (and has been) well documented.....graduates from Florida colleges (in disproportionate numbers) leave the state upon graduation for better opportunities and pay up north- in many cases.....the only job offers are coming from out of state..

Some of these people will return to Florida some day.......when pay/opportunities are less of a priority to them.......

The state would be a lot better off for the future if that phenomenon wasn't occuring and those that want to stay have a solid opportunity to do so.

I think that's where a lot of the dissagreement on this forum comes from.......

"Older"...established people LOVE it here and wouldn't trade it for anything..........while "younger"...less established people would gladly "tolerate"...or maybe even enjoy winter and 4 seasons in exchange for better pay/opportunities and upward mobility that Florida (in many cases) does not provide.

Although the state has seen some changes....as far as Tallahassee is concerned, tourism and retirees are still the main priority and that thinking will perpetuate the problems discussed above for the forseeable future.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,288,960 times
I guess closing 33 grocery stores in Tampa Bay area is a good sign of "economic recovery picking up steam"...
Sweetbay to close 33 stores in Florida

Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,777,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I guess closing 33 grocery stores in Tampa Bay area is a good sign of "economic recovery picking up steam"...

Ouch!! That is too bad for all the employees. Winn-Dixie did the same thing a couple years ago.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM

733 posts, read 1,293,848 times
this is all assuming everyone lives to be 90 years old. Everyone should stay up north, stay in their "good, high paying jobs" and then at retirement, move down south to Florida, where they will live happily ever after, but be miserable in the time being.

I'm sorry, but life isn't like that, or i hope it's not.

I have a dream. I want to be in the prime of my life in a temperate climate (struggling or not) and, as transient as I may be (or not) I want to live that dream.

no one here can say i can't do something because i don't have enough money. When the going gets tough (well i have high speed internet right now, so i should know what the going rate is) the tough GET GOING! I'm not going to sit by and let myself be homeless. I will do everything it takes, and this goes for any state, not just FLORIDA.

i think anyone in their right mind who is able and willing to do the unspeakable to get where they want to be, will ultimately be successful. It's all about mindset.

this can be said about any state. Sometimes you just have to WANT it....AND be willing to do whatever it takes in the beginning.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 AM

4,127 posts, read 4,760,513 times
I do wish Florida's economy will get better...however, I have to agree, young professionals will avoid this area like the plague...

For example: I worked with a Financial director who graduated from an Ivy league school and also has his Masters in Finance and has plenty of work experience ( I believe he is in his early 40's).
Him and I are friends and after I left he told me he was in the ball park of $90k a year..well he was recently interviewing at a company in Houston and the salary range is $125-175k a year...and with the benefits package his TOTAL compensation will be well over 200K

He says that he doesn't want to leave Florida but feels he is not getting ahead living here..a lot of companies have okay salaries but sub-par benefits..so he is actually losing money because he is using more of his pay for a 401k, doctors appointments (he is married). His wife has never been able to find stable work because her industry has become non-existant in Florida.
So yes the weather may be great but if you don't have the quality of life to go with it....you will NEVER attract professionals.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 AM

420 posts, read 748,636 times
Quote:
*33 stores in Florida. Companies close stores for many reasons and it seems like Sweetbay is closing its under-performing stores to reduce costs and strengthen its better-performing stores or expand into different areas. Or perhaps its competitiors are performing much better. There are plenty of reasons; you can't assume that Sweetbay's closure means that economic recovery is not occuring. Making an assumption off of one example is misguided.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
You do realize retail, especially grocery, stores close all the time...in good and bad economies.

It is usually bad planning, by opening stores in places with too much other competition. As a matter of fact, that looks to be the case according to "your own" words in the Sweetbay thread.

Quote:
I feel bad for people who will loose their jobs at Sweetbay... I never went their and like Publix.
Quote:
Feels like it, BucFan. They opened a new store in WC few years back and it was right across the street from SuperTarget and mile or so away from Publix... Go figure... No wonder it's empty all the time...

Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I do wish Florida's economy will get better...however, I have to agree, young professionals will avoid this area like the plague...

For example: I worked with a Financial director who graduated from an Ivy league school and also has his Masters in Finance and has plenty of work experience ( I believe he is in his early 40's).
Him and I are friends and after I left he told me he was in the ball park of $90k a year..well he was recently interviewing at a company in Houston and the salary range is $125-175k a year...and with the benefits package his TOTAL compensation will be well over 200K

He says that he doesn't want to leave Florida but feels he is not getting ahead living here..a lot of companies have okay salaries but sub-par benefits..so he is actually losing money because he is using more of his pay for a 401k, doctors appointments (he is married). His wife has never been able to find stable work because her industry has become non-existant in Florida.
So yes the weather may be great but if you don't have the quality of life to go with it....you will NEVER attract professionals.
He can't get ahead making $90,000?

WOW! Just WOW!

But at least he has a choice. He can stay here and struggle to survive on $90,000 (cough, cough) or he can chase the money and move. To each their own. Follow your dreams......whatever they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or