Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,250,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Rental prices are a bit on the crazy side, given the rest of the economic picture for the general area. During our house hunting process, one house we really loved was a short sale and would have taken many months to close. I briefly considered renting a place so I could wait it out, but the rental prices scared me off that idea really fast. I was looking at monthy rent that was 40% higher than my mortgage payment. Yeah, I could afford it on the short-term, but viewed it as wasting money that could have gone towards paying the mortgage on the place I ended up buying.
Rents are high thanks to those who abandoned their homes, and who are flat out overcharging & taking advantage if the false sense of demand created by hungry/desperate realtors. (Obviously a realtor cannot make a living out of one house that might come for sale in a desirable area.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Rents are high thanks to those who abandoned their homes, and who are flat out overcharging & taking advantage if the false sense of demand created by hungry/desperate realtors. (Obviously a realtor cannot make a living out of one house that might come for sale in a desirable area.)
There were a total of 3,387 homes sold just in December alone in Tampa Bay. That is a wee bit more than just one house. I don't think the realtors need to be creating a false sense of demand, when the demand is up that high already....LOL

I do agree, however, that a lot of the rental issues are because of people previously bailing on their mortgage obligations they knowingly agreed to.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,085,110 times
Sounds like I need to try and figure out how to buy a rental property

Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM

You weren't here between 2004 and 2007...so how would you know!? We've seen this before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I don't think the realtors need to be creating a false sense of demand, when the demand is up that high already....LOL

Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
You weren't here between 2004 and 2007...so how would you know!? We've seen this before...
What does that have to do with the current sales volume and current prices?

BTW, in case you are unaware, FL was not the only place with a bubble. I lived in a state with a big bubble and was educated enough to realize it, so we sold at a huge profit. We have done very well moving from state to state, taking advantage of the markets.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
What does that have to do with the current sales volume and current prices?
Its a pattern, we've seen it before. Those of us who lived here longer than 10 years have seen all this happening before. (copy & paste). All these articles are simply repeated with an update date. Nothing more. All you have to do is drive around neighborhoods and see which ones have the most for sale signs, and which have less or none. You also forget that a busier time is before school is starting...and after holidays.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Its a pattern, we've seen it before. Those of us who lived here longer than 10 years have seen all this happening before. (copy & paste). All these articles are simply repeated with an update date. Nothing more. All you have to do is drive around neighborhoods and see which ones have the most for sale signs, and which have less or none. You also forget that a busier time is before school is starting...and after holidays.
I have said in previous posts that the consumer creates these cycles. Yes, it is a pattern. Always has been and always will be. It happens in places other than FL as well. Prices come down, which they did, and people start buying again. The more people buy, the higher the prices go. The higher the prices go, the more people feel they need to get on the band wagon. At some point, the prices get too high, things fall back down to earth and then consumers start the cycle all over again.

So it looks like we agree on that part. All I am saying, backed up back stats kept by the counties, is the cycle has started back upward. That's all.

Oh, and I don't forget about busier times. The stats also compare the same time periods from previous years. Apples to Apples.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Prices did not come down in some "natural cycle"!
United States housing bubble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Prices did not come down in some "natural cycle"!
United States housing bubble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you study all the market cycles throughout the decades, you would understand how it works. You would also understand that it can be amplified by additional forces.

It appears you have a certain belief and you are sticking to it. If that works for you, great. Whatever works for you.

Myself, I prefer to study history and cycles. This allows me to make more educated decisions, thus take advantage of the cycles and do very well. But that's just me. I just have a thing about understanding how things really work and setting aside stuff that is irrelevant.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
If you study all the market cycles throughout the decades, you would understand how it works. You would also understand that it can be amplified by additional forces.

It appears you have a certain belief and you are sticking to it. If that works for you, great. Whatever works for you.
I just believe in "responsibility" too much to agree with these useless "cycles"! and the necessity to perpetuate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay