U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 PM

143 posts, read 207,449 times

Advertisements

I would think to call them and ask for a different unit. I'm getting Brighthouse tomorrow and I asked about the modem/wireless router because so I'd know what I'm working with and that is what we have in the rental we are in now and it sucks. He told me it's just a straight up modem - no wireless. I'm much happier looking after my own networking anyway. Though I think the guy I've been dealing with is an independent so I'm not sure if that has any influence.

[edit]oops, missed this thread was a few pages long before I hit post but it looks like its being dealt with[/edit]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
I just had the newest Bright House router/wireless combo installed with the new 30mbps service. They replaced the old router which I had connected to a Linksys 3000.

Speedtests tests show 35/3 with devices connected via wired and wireless using their router as a switch so I figured I would ditch my Linksys and connect everything to their switch.

I have a PS3, HTPC, HD Homerun 3 tuner, and receiver connected via Ethernet, and iPads, iPhones and laptops connected via wireless.

All devices connect great to the internet for http/https traffic, but device-to-device SMB transfers are running at the old SMB 1.0 speeds or worse. Wireless laptop showing a 43mbps to the switch is only transferring data at 1mbps to the wired HTPC.

I am going to put the Linksys back in the mix as my wireless access point and Ethernet connections and only use the Brighthouse router/switch as a router unless there are some custom settings that will fix this problem.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:26 PM

20,056 posts, read 12,026,835 times
I use my BH modem with my Netgear router works good

Old 11-04-2013, 10:07 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,665,301 times
The modem is fine, the router is what you want to upgrade. The apple routers are nice if your into apple products, otherwise i would go with ASUS.

Asus rt-n56u or rt-n66u

Both are awesome.

Make sure that you get your current modem put into bridge mode to disable the router functions of it!

(BTW, this is more of a resource for others that may be searching).

Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,231 times
Have very often Bright House Internet dropouts, and occasionally a message in the Sent Box of Windows Live Mail,
which is impossible to delete, unless closing and reopening account. Modem changed to eliminate dropouts, however, new one started its own dropouts. Any help, better than Bright Houses' please?
Thanks, Alex K

Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
You can get a stand alone modem from brighthouse and use your own router. I dont recomend buying the 20 dollar special at walmart though or you will be quite let down. You can also bridge the modem you have if you want which disables the router functions and you can connect your own router to it.

Message me if you need any more assistance.
Curious on how to bridge my BH modem to use my own router?

Thx

Jim

Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 PM

3,011 posts, read 4,827,939 times
Their tech support has to bridge the modem for you.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPetri View Post
Curious on how to bridge my BH modem to use my own router?

Thx

Jim
If you're just after connecting all your devices to each other and to the internet you're better off just getting a wireless switch... pretty much a router without the brains. Usually much less than the cost of a comparable router as well. It's just a lot easier to deal with, you wire from one of the ports (or the only port) on the modem to one of the ports on the switch and you're done. The switch will probably have some sort of setup wizard that you have to access wired (as in plug a laptop into one of the ports) to setup the basics like SSID, encryption settings and passwords. If you need more advanced features like data throttling and quotas, or security restrictions such as time of use or other controlled access then you do need the router.... but you need to set it up to run as a switch. I've tried it a few times but wasn't very reliable and spent way more time on it than what I should have. In my searching for answers the common theme was to flash the router (regardless of model) with third party software to make it work better and easier. I just bought a switch and was done with it.

If you already own a router then that is what you need to google, how to make it operate as a switch for basic connectivity. The modem or modem/router unit will not need anything done to it. If the modem is a combo unit and does have wireless capabilities and you want to use your own wireless hardware thenit will probably give you less headaches and just disable the wireless on the modem. Just call BH and they will give you the IP to access the settings and the username and passwords as well.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 PM

3,011 posts, read 4,827,939 times
A wireless switch? I believe you mean a wireless access point.

Using your own router has plenty of advantages and there are some nice routers out there that are rock-solid reliable, without getting into alternate firmware. The Asus routers are a particularly excellent example.

I use my own router as well as my own modem. So, I no longer pay the modem rental fee, which just got raised to $4/month.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 PM

They're called wireless access points? I've always looked them up and seen them listed as switches (which is why I call them as such) but then again marketing people usually aren't techies. I use a wired switch myself and leave the wireless to the modem. Probably not the best wireless but anything I have data intensive uses wired Gbe anyway since wireless doesn't have enough speed so I don't notice any of it's shortcomings. I just assumed (apparently incorrectly) that a switch with wireless capability was just a wireless switch - same as it says on the box. I stand corrected.

And FWIW I have heard good things about the Asus routers, however at this point I've only used Linksys and Dlink. Both of which a flash was recommended for best operation. So I can't say anything against their ease of setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay