U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM

178 posts, read 241,209 times

Advertisements

What's goin on everybody?! I'm trying to get out of Fort Lauderdale due to the low pay, high rent and rude people. I don't want to be too far away from the beach and I think the West Coast of Florida is beautiful so I figured I would try Tampa.

I'm a 30 year old School Board employee and they simply do not pay us enough to find a decent place in Fort Lauderdale. I also coach high school football. I'd like to continue both of these professions in Tampa. Just in terms of rent, $1000-$1200 will get you a one bedroom apartment in Lauderdale. When I look in the Tampa craigslist I see HOUSES for around that price.

My leisure consists of working out, playing semi-pro football, going to sporting events and my favorite thing to do is eat out. I also love going to sports bars to watch games. I don't drink and will not step foot into a nightclub. (although I am aware that Tampa has a decent nightlife if the mood ever strikes me)

My question...

What are some good areas to look into? I prefer old fashioned living. I like to walk to my mailbox, say hello to my neighbors and have a little room to breath. I know that may sound like nothing to some of you people but in South Florida everybody lives on top of each other and people are very rude. I'm a very old fashioned guy and when I have kid(s) I want to be able to play with him/her on the front lawn. (which is something I'll never be able to do in South FLA)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,869,549 times
Carrollwood has affordable places and several sports bars and tons of restaurants. People are pretty friendly here, but as far as your neighbor saying high to you to be nice.... that's really luck of the draw.

Also quite a few gyms too, plus a YMCA.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Carrollwood has affordable places and several sports bars and tons of restaurants. People are pretty friendly here, but as far as your neighbor saying high to you to be nice.... that's really luck of the draw.

Also quite a few gyms too, plus a YMCA.
Thanks. I'll look into that area.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,755,838 times
Those homes listed on Craigslist for that price are not located in the good parts of Tampa. I haven't found one home in Carrollwood for $1200 on either RE search site.

Tampa might seem(m.a.y.be) cheaper than Miami/FT, but the good areas are not cheap here either. We moved out of Fort Lauderdale in 2003...but we used to have a very nice 2 bedroom apartment in North Lauderdale for $950. Very nice/safe area. I miss it.

Plus, in Tampa you really need to know where you'll be working first to not end up with a huge commute.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about moving to Tampa. Please help.-region-capture-3.png  

Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM

20,062 posts, read 12,038,970 times
Miss my Broward county!! lots of sports stuff here, no night life so dont worry, and I am looking to move back to Tampa from Clearwater,, (closest I could get to the beach), but my commute is getting to me with all the crazy drivers, so gonna move closer to work. GO to Hotpads- Trullia and Craigslist, you will find apts from $500 and up. you must go there, go in day and then night time, see what you see, and make a choice. all depends where you will be working.., the drive is horrible here to get any place,, yes worse than Ft laud.- Good luck ( they rude here too)

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Those homes listed on Craigslist for that price are not located in the good parts of Tampa. I haven't found one home in Carrollwood for $1200 on either RE search site.

Tampa might seem(m.a.y.be) cheaper than Miami/FT, but the good areas are not cheap here either. We moved out of Fort Lauderdale in 2003...but we used to have a very nice 2 bedroom apartment in North Lauderdale for $950. Very nice/safe area. I miss it.

Plus, in Tampa you really need to know where you'll be working first to not end up with a huge commute.
Well it's hard to find a nice ONE bedroom place for under $1,000 now in Broward.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Miss my Broward county!! lots of sports stuff here, no night life so dont worry, and I am looking to move back to Tampa from Clearwater,, (closest I could get to the beach), but my commute is getting to me with all the crazy drivers, so gonna move closer to work. GO to Hotpads- Trullia and Craigslist, you will find apts from $500 and up. you must go there, go in day and then night time, see what you see, and make a choice. all depends where you will be working.., the drive is horrible here to get any place,, yes worse than Ft laud.- Good luck ( they rude here too)
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or