Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Whoever knows the answer? I never heard this terminology. Thanks
What used to be our normal so called southeast wind flow during the summer with the axis of the high pressure to the north of Tampa would bring us afternoon T-storms from the east meeting up with the west coast sea breeze around the Brandon area, we would get strong storms that would make it to the west coast.

Been a good 25 years since we have had our normal southeast wind flow.

With a reverse west wind flow, the axis of high pressure is to the south of the Tampa area giving us a west wind all day long. When i lived on the west Pasco coast for over 7 years i had very little rain, as small showers would die off around sunup just offshore, then rebuild with the heating of the day around 11am in the Lutz area and move toward the east coast.

Only times i got a any real rain was what very days we had a southeast wind flow, or had upper level energy giving us lots of lift with a southwest wind flow.

I expect no changes this summer, same old thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Also......

The Atlantic Ocean is always several degrees cooler in the summer than the Gulf of Mexico is......

So, the East wind (Atlantic sea breeze) is Florida's saving grace......it is what moderates the temp and humidity as it travels across the state.....

The West wind (Gulf sea breeze) is hotter and "thicker"..........if the west wind prevails for any period of time.......there is no moderating effect and the temps and humidity become oppressive.
A west wind and 90 degree gulf temps add up to pure hell. Just think if we had 55 degree gulf temps in the summer.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
A west wind and 90 degree gulf temps add up to pure hell. Just think if we had 55 degree gulf temps in the summer.

90+ degree Gulf temps???????????????????????????????

Can't be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to some people on this forum......those temps "rarely occur"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM

88 to 91 water temps are about normal for the gulf in the summer.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Thats a pretty accurate description.
Are you ever right! The summer before we moved to the area, we stayed at a hotel on Clearwater Beach, and there had been some sort of storm way offshore in the Gulf, but all sorts of seaweed and other stuff was all mixed in the water. It was very unpleasant to swim in, like some sort of gritty vegetable soup. We ended up mostly using the pool, which, although it didn't have the seaweed, was pretty tepid and not all that refreshing.

When we finally moved to the area in 2000, a friend of mine took me to a swimming hole on the Manatee River, where the water temp was much cooler. There were a bunch of locals there who said they never swam in the Gulf during the summer. Instead, they went to the rivers and springs for the cooler water. There's nothing like a dip in a Florida spring in the heat of summer! Some of the rivers further north are pretty good, too, but beware of gators!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM

119 posts, read 208,834 times
I remember going to some springs near Orlando when I was growing up....Rock Springs maybe....don't recall the name but it sure was nice and cool during the hot summers.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Exclamation Dang!

WFLA is warning of possible frost again in the early morning areas from Pasco County north.

Better protect your tenders.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
gotta say, it was a little chilly for my bones yesterday.....must be acclimated to FLA finally after all my years being overseas in Europe....gotta remember to dress like a northerner on days like yesterday and today.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Too chilly for my bones today!!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Too chilly for my bones today!!
It will warm up pretty fast today at around 72 or more depending where your are.

Dry air heats up and cools faster than humid air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay