U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,777,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
I've only been to the Sweetbay in Gainesville, and I wasn't that impressed. My top three grocery stores around the country are Kroger, Wegman's, and Publix.
Mine:

Harris Teeter
Big Y
Sweetbay
Lowes ( not home improvement store)
Kroger

Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM

76 posts, read 95,926 times
Publix is better than Harris Teeter, Sweetbay and Kroger. I am not familiar with the other ones.

Friends of mine who moved to N.C. have bitched about not having Publix up there, and they DO have Harris Teeter.

Also, Harris Teeter was recently bought by someone and will be re-branded

Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbdweller View Post
Publix is better than Harris Teeter, Sweetbay and Kroger. I am not familiar with the other ones.

Friends of mine who moved to N.C. have bitched about not having Publix up there, and they DO have Harris Teeter.

Also, Harris Teeter was recently bought by someone and will be re-branded
Your "opinion" is that Publix is better than Harris Teeter. It is not a fact.

"My" "opinion" is that Harris Teeter is best. It is not a fact.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,490,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I've only been into Harris Teeter a few times, they had one in Nashville that was in a part of town "Brentwood" that was a pretty affluent neighborhood. I tried to avoid that store because of the snobbish people and attitudes, but it was a nice store. Very upscale.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Your "opinion" is that Publix is better than Harris Teeter. It is not a fact.

It is a fact. Borne by the FACT that Publix is a healthy, profitable, expanding company, and Harris Teeter is not. In fact they were doing poorly and were purchased by the Lowes chain and will undergo rebranding.

Fact...

Publix is expanding even further into Georgia, SC, NC and I expect them to put tremendous pressure on Kroger's stronghold in Georgia.

It's also nationally recognized as one of the best places to work. Not a ****ing sweatshop like Kroger

Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Publix is expanding even further into Georgia, SC, NC and I expect them to put tremendous pressure on Kroger's stronghold in Georgia.

It's also nationally recognized as one of the best places to work. Not a ****ing sweatshop like Kroger
Please explain how Publix, a company that operates in only 5 states and only has 155,000 employees can be "nationally recognized as one of the best places to work?"

Kroger operates in over 30 states under multiple banners including gas stations and has over 340,000 employees.

Kroger ranks as the #2 largest grocer with over $90.4 billion in sales.
Publix ranks as the #8 largest grocer with $29.9 billion in sales.

Publix will never supplant Kroger in Georgia or Tennessee.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
It is a fact. Borne by the FACT that Publix is a healthy, profitable, expanding company, and Harris Teeter is not. In fact they were doing poorly and were purchased by the Lowes chain and will undergo rebranding.

Fact...

Sorry, but whether someone likes one more than the other cannot be categorized as a fact.

I like Harris Teeter more than any other grocery store...by a long shot. That is my "opinion". You liking it or not or the financials of any do not change the fact that I like Harris Teeter the most. It is personal preference, not an economic issue.

Walmart grocery expanded for years, and may be now for all I know. Does that mean Walmart Grocery is the best? Hardly......LOL!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Last year it came at #3 for best grocery store...Wegmans was #1.
My numbers were based on sales. I've heard Wegmans was the best of the best though.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Please explain how Publix, a company that operates in only 5 states and only has 155,000 employees can be "nationally recognized as one of the best places to work?"

Kroger operates in over 30 states under multiple banners including gas stations and has over 340,000 employees.

Kroger ranks as the #2 largest grocer with over $90.4 billion in sales.
Publix ranks as the #8 largest grocer with $29.9 billion in sales.

Publix will never supplant Kroger in Georgia or Tennessee.
Read it for yourself

Publix Super Markets - Best Companies to Work For 2012 - Fortune

100 Best Companies to Work For 2012: Full list - from FORTUNE

You will not find Kroger on the list.

Because they suck.

Wal-Mart is the #1 retailer, would you argue that they are a good company to work for? Or even a good store?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 PM

Here's an idea, if Kroger is so bad-ass, maybe they should buy up all these closing sweetbay stores and make a comeback...

They wont, because they will get owned by Publix, that's why. They used to have some stores here, under the name "Family Mart", they were crappy stores, when they closed, Kash N Karry (now Sweet Bay) bought their stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or