Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM

14 posts, read 36,837 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move from PA to Florida. We are focusing our efforts in either Tampa or Jacksonville. It looks like my wife (social worker) will be able to find a job before I will. I am a manufacturing manager with 10 years of management experience and I have my MBA.
I'm wondering how the economy is in both of these areas?
Will it be easier for me to find a job in Tampa or Jacksonville?
I have applied to a number of jobs but no luck with interviews .
I'm hoping that moving down there will generate more opportunities.
We are looking to move before the start of the school year in the fall.

Thanks for looking and providing any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Jax compare to Tampa is not a great place... Read news on daily basis and see if you want to move there.. I hate that city...

Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdad32 View Post
My family and I are looking to move from PA to Florida. We are focusing our efforts in either Tampa or Jacksonville. It looks like my wife (social worker) will be able to find a job before I will. I am a manufacturing manager with 10 years of management experience and I have my MBA.
I'm wondering how the economy is in both of these areas?
Will it be easier for me to find a job in Tampa or Jacksonville?
I have applied to a number of jobs but no luck with interviews .
I'm hoping that moving down there will generate more opportunities.
We are looking to move before the start of the school year in the fall.

Thanks for looking and providing any feedback.
I can't speak to the economy or anything about Jacksonville. I can say we prefer being further south for the warmth and also prefer being on the gulf coast. Your mileage may vary, though.

Regarding the Tampa Bay economy, it is much better than I initially thought it was prior to moving down. Of course, it always matters what field you are in no matter where you live. I notice a ton of nursing jobs here, plenty of inventory jobs, plenty of buyer jobs, plenty of call center jobs, plenty of retail jobs, plenty of collections jobs, plenty of county government jobs and surprisingly a good number of manufacturing jobs.

The response to job applications was very good for me. Better than I have ever experienced before. I was also of the mindset that pay was much lower here, but it does not appear to be as bad as I thought. Although, with anything, it depends on what you do and where you come from. I don't know how it will match up from PA.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I personally don't care for Jacksonville; my reasons are I don't like the look of the city, and it is so far north in Florida that it feels like Georgia to me, and definitely has a more southern and conservative vibe. That doesn't mean it might not be a great place for YOU, however, depending on what you like in a city.

Really, it might just come down to where you can get a job. The economies of both cities are probably pretty similar. Again, I am partial to the Tampa Bay area. Maybe you should visit both and see what appeals to you more.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay