U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,781,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'll look through my records and see if I still have a paystub that I can scan from Kroger, since I'm obviously a liar. I'll let you know.
Please don't post any personal information. That is never a good thing to do. No one should have any reason to doubt your word. Don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,893,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Floridians have an average annual salary of $40,750, or an hourly wage of $19.59, as of May 2011 and FL ranks fourth for the highest number of employees at about 7.2 million. 19 states have a lower average wage than Florida yet some continue to state that the jobs pay less than $10 an hour.
Quote:
I would venture to say that those numbers are inflated by the number of doctors, lawyers, and nurses in the state, and the wealthy that live there for cheaper taxes.

I can attest (and this was 12 years ago) to coming out of high school and the only job I could find was stocking at Albertsons for $6.25/hr. I couldn't live on that, so I split.

Less than a month later, I had the same job in Tennessee only with Kroger, making $13.25/hr. and as a member of the union.
Quote:
That was 2001, this is 2012.

Kroger, like many other companies, changed their ways when the economy tanked. I can't speak for many of their divisions, but the I can say that the MidSouth Division (Kentucky/Tennessee) went through a lot of changes in the 2008/2009 time frame, it started with the teamsters truck drivers going on strike and being replaced with non-union drivers. My own mother is currently a department manager at Kroger and makes $9.85. Before 2008, her payscale would have her making $15.90.

Before moving to Louisiana in 2009, I tried everything I could think of to remain in Tennessee, even re-applied at Kroger and offered $8.25. I obviously turned down the job and accepted a position with an off-shore company in my ex-wife's hometown in Galliano, LA.

I'll look through my records and see if I still have a paystub that I can scan from Kroger, since I'm obviously a liar. I'll let you know.
You replied to someone that was talking current median wages with a story about what you made 12 years ago but when someone replies you say, "That was 2001, this is 2012."

So how it stands now is that someone working at Krogers in Tennessee would make about the same as someone working at Publix or Walmart in Florida, weren't you trying to make it seem as if the pay was so much better there than Florida?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,493,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
So how it stands now is that someone working at Krogers in Tennessee would make about the same as someone working at Publix or Walmart in Florida, weren't you trying to make it seem as if the pay was so much better there than Florida?
Yes, the economy crash changed everything. That said, Tennessee doesn't have an economy based solely around tourism and a "booming" population.

There are far more grocery stores, fast food chains, and other "low wage" paying jobs in Florida than there are in Tennessee, not to mention that Florida has more than 3 times the population of Tennessee.

Of course, I would assume that there would be at least 10 times as many doctors, lawyers, celebrities, ect, ect, in Florida as well. I guess if you had a city composed of, lets just say two people, and both made $50,000 a year, that their city would be on equal ground with another city of two people, where one made $80,000 and the other made $20,000. Both have median incomes of $50,000.

Back to the original point, the pay used to be better in Tennessee than it was in Florida. Then Tennessee was overrun with people relocating from other places, then the economy crashed and employers found that they now had many more applications for jobs than they used to, which meant they could lower their wages. It's easier to go from not paying anytime to keeping the status quo in Florida, than it is to go from paying decent wages to minimum wage in Tennessee. If the wages had stayed the same, I wouldn't have moved to Louisiana, then from there, to Texas.

I've made my point and I'm done arguing with you Mike. If you want to spread misinformation, be my guest. However, people don't need to hear sunshine and lollipop stories about a place that's depressed. When they get there and find out it's not what people said it was, then they become a burden on taxpayers, which makes things worse.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,893,784 times
Quote:
Yes, the economy crash changed everything. That said, Tennessee doesn't have an economy based solely around tourism and a "booming" population.

There are far more grocery stores, fast food chains, and other "low wage" paying jobs in Florida than there are in Tennessee, not to mention that Florida has more than 3 times the population of Tennessee.

Of course, I would assume that there would be at least 10 times as many doctors, lawyers, celebrities, ect, ect, in Florida as well. I guess if you had a city composed of, lets just say two people, and both made $50,000 a year, that their city would be on equal ground with another city of two people, where one made $80,000 and the other made $20,000. Both have median incomes of $50,000.

Back to the original point, the pay used to be better in Tennessee than it was in Florida. Then Tennessee was overrun with people relocating from other places, then the economy crashed and employers found that they now had many more applications for jobs than they used to, which meant they could lower their wages. It's easier to go from not paying anytime to keeping the status quo in Florida, than it is to go from paying decent wages to minimum wage in Tennessee. If the wages had stayed the same, I wouldn't have moved to Louisiana, then from there, to Texas.

I've made my point and I'm done arguing with you Mike. If you want to spread misinformation, be my guest. However, people don't need to hear sunshine and lollipop stories about a place that's depressed. When they get there and find out it's not what people said it was, then they become a burden on taxpayers, which makes things worse.
Misinformation? You can't be serious. You tried to pass off some story about wages from 12 years ago as if that was how it currently is. If you check wages you will see that Florida median wages year in and year out have been higher than Tennessee.

And when you have a state with almost 19 million people the median wages will be closer a true number rather than the useless example of 2 people that you gave. You also assume that Florida has 10 times as many doctors, lawyers and celebrities based on what? Is this the misinformation you talked about?

Florida may have a big tourism industry but to act as if that is all it has going for it then you are once again spreading misinformation. The Florida High Tech Corridor is the fourth largest high tech hub in the U.S. trailing only Silicon Valley in California, Silicon Alley in New York and Dulles Technology Corridor in Virginia. Florida is also a gateway to markets in Latin America and the Caribbean.

Here is some more misinformation you provided, "There are far more grocery stores, fast food chains, and other "low wage" paying jobs in Florida than there are in Tennessee". Now if you are going for total I might agree since Florida does have over 3 times the population but the fair comparison would be per capita. Unfortunately you failed to provide any proof of this or any of your other statements. Just blatant misinformation being spread it looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or