U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,378 posts, read 7,867,707 times
Reputation: 2926

Advertisements

My pool needs to be refinished. It's a gunite inground pool. Can anybody recommend someone they have had experience with?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
3,011 posts, read 4,830,644 times
Reputation: 3273
I have to get mine redone as well. Plus my decking needs attention. So, I'll be paying attention to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
251 posts, read 430,841 times
Reputation: 93
Have you ever considered having it tiled??? I don't know if it an option but my bf tiled pools at the YMCA's so I wondered if that would be an option to 'refinishing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,754,034 times
Reputation: 2141
I would check them out:
SEKAS CUSTOM POOLS

Im not sure how much they charge to redo a pool, but I've seen their work and it is very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,378 posts, read 7,867,707 times
Reputation: 2926
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Have you ever considered having it tiled??? I don't know if it an option but my bf tiled pools at the YMCA's so I wondered if that would be an option to 'refinishing??

A tiled pool would be great since they last forever. But I have heard you can;t have the typical curved bottom. Plus it is much more expensive than getting it refinished with Plaster, Quartz or PebbleTech.

If it was possible and comparable... I would do tile. Great suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
251 posts, read 430,841 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
A tiled pool would be great since they last forever. But I have heard you can;t have the typical curved bottom. Plus it is much more expensive than getting it refinished with Plaster, Quartz or PebbleTech.

If it was possible and comparable... I would do tile. Great suggestion!
Well the pools he did WERE curved bottom, but they used mosaic tile they go right along the curves beautifully...something to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
3,011 posts, read 4,830,644 times
Reputation: 3273
Considering some of the biggest eyesore areas of my pool involve tiles (popping out, loose grout, etc), I have to wonder about the wisdom of going with an all-tile pool. To me, each tile is a potential point of failure. The one guy I had out for an estimate recommended not replacing the tile I do have for that very reason. He said anything more than a decorative row of waterline tile is asking for trouble down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
251 posts, read 430,841 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Considering some of the biggest eyesore areas of my pool involve tiles (popping out, loose grout, etc), I have to wonder about the wisdom of going with an all-tile pool. To me, each tile is a potential point of failure. The one guy I had out for an estimate recommended not replacing the tile I do have for that very reason. He said anything more than a decorative row of waterline tile is asking for trouble down the road.
Hmmm...maybe it was the product they used to 'set' the tiles??? Idk but I would think to do it in YMCA's etc where they would most likely prefer lower maintenance and still went with mosiac tile..I am no expert and I agree popping tiles would be an eyesore for me as well but even with tile floors if not done properly tiles will pop..but, I kind of agree why bother if there is any potential for trouble later on..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top