U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,073 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow retirees

I currently live up north US -- and seriously thinking of moving to Gulfport/st Pete area. . --( My adult children and grandchildren are here in north--- but like many retirees, I really dont see them unless they need something, i.e. babysitting etc. )-- I love them dearly, but think it may be time for 'me'.

I think I would like to sell my house and move to Gulfport/St Pete area but would love to hear any and all input from people who struggled with the decision before moving to Florida.--- Do you regret it? Are you happy or reasonably happy? Do you have any insight you would like to share? I would really appreciate your honest thoughts on this subject.
thank you,
Abby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM

27 posts, read 47,257 times
After several years of winter vactions in FL we became Snowbirds. We are now building a new home in Bradenton. Try renting for the winter season or longer, and see if you like it, then decide. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM

thank you and good luck to you with your new home.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,497,738 times
You dont say if you are alone or with a partner. If you are alone, it's definitely best to try a season first, it's not always to make a whole new set of friends that quickly, even though this is a pretty friendly place.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM

lavender , i would prob be moving in with a friend who has a house in florida. -- i have visited the area for the past 6 years, but only for 2-3 weeks at a time. -- Im think I will like florida fine -- but am more worried if it is a mistake to move away from my family. I would really like to know if anyone who has relocated regrets moving away from family.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 6,641 times
downtownabby, (love the name btw)

It will certainly be easier for you if you already have a friend and a place to live here. When I relocated it was not an easy or quick decision. My brother moved down here first and the rest of the family has trickled down since because we were so jealous when he sent us pictures and texts about 80 degree weather when we were freezing up in Massachusetts. There are people I miss but so many of them vacation in Orlando - I can just meet up with them when they come down! I never miss the cold, and the people down here are so much more friendly, it is amazing. Must be something to do with the warm weather and sunshine! You will be homesick and miss your family, but you can skype, call, text, write, whatever and they will love vacationing to come and visit you - and who knows, maybe they will end up moving down in the long run! With every major relocation you need some time to adjust and settle in. No one can predict if you will really love it and never regret it, but if you give it some time and you really don't like it, you can always move back. Isn't it better to try it and regret it later than to never try it and wonder if you would have liked it?

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM

20,062 posts, read 12,038,970 times
I had some family here in TBAY an they moved away.., looking for jobs, it is VERY hard to make freinds here, to me, some say I am crazy and some agree, but I can't regret the move here due to the great job- but also have not found my nesting ground,,,where I can say I'M HOME

Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 PM

119 posts, read 177,239 times
downtownabby, I am working on relocating to the same area (or close to it I think) of St. Pete in August. I am going down in two weeks to spend several days looking around the area. I will make notes and get back to you if you like. I am mainly looking at apartment complexes and surrounding areas.

As for moving away from family, I have moved to several different states away from everyone, except my kids. My oldest left for college two years ago and she is 6 hours away. Is still very hard for me but I am thrilled she is doing well. My youngest will be flying the coop in a year and a half. Even though I will be in FL they will be just (?) 6 hours away. Its hard but I think the time will be easily passed, or at least I hope it will, with new friends, beach time, more beach time, and work of course. I hope it will be not so rough for you.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM

abres - thank you for your honesty....., that , yes i will miss my family/kids/grandkids!!! - im sure I will love Florida,--( just afraid of missing my grandbabies too much). but like you say, i guess i could always go back home,-- but admit a big concern is.... if i sell my current home -- options if i return. Probably would not be able to afford purchasing a home again. guess i could cross that bridge if/when that happens.

Tiny - i think I understand -- when you say -- still searching for your 'nesting ground' and a place to feel like you 'are home' -- best to you -- let me know if you find the answer to that question.

Girlsmom -- thank you for the offer - but i think Im good as far as a place to stay -but best of luck to you in your search--- -( i have a very good friend that would welcome me for my transition).--well said and thanx for the reminder ..... that 'you are thilled that your daughter is doing so good' - i must keep that in mind -- that if they (our children) are doing well, that we are fortunate!

thank you for pros and cons to help with this decision.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM

20,062 posts, read 12,038,970 times
[

Tiny - i think I understand -- when you say -- still searching for your 'nesting ground' and a place to feel like you 'are home' -- best to you -- let me know if you find the answer to that question.

My family is spread out now,Orlando, Miami, Tally- and haven't found a replacement for family-- as in good friends, church whatever. I could work O/S or other states but won't leave my little grands. The 4 yr old asks to see me non-stop when he misses me.. gotta take a road trip-- every 8 weeks or so, thank God it is only couple of hours. It is important to me, but I have lost a child and one grand, so it bears more with me to see them, than most folks I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay