U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM

158 posts, read 193,226 times

Advertisements

Tampa Bay Rays officials say MLB has lost faith in bay area - Tampa Bay Times

Why arent the Rays better supported by local fans? They were last in MLB attendance in 2012 in spite of their record on the field. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,537,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpajr View Post
Tampa Bay Rays officials say MLB has lost faith in bay area - Tampa Bay Times

Why arent the Rays better supported by local fans? They were last in MLB attendance in 2012 in spite of their record on the field. What gives?
Too many transplants still attached to the teams based wherever they came from. That's why Rays fans are usually outnumbered by the oppositions when temas like Detroit, Boston, NY, Chicago, etc. come to town. Florida is an awful place for pro sports franchises because of this. The state is packed with people from other places and the local teams have little or no history to woo them with.

Also, the Trop is an atrocious baseball venue that is tough to get to for much of the Tampa Bay populace. This plays into things as well, but with the success the Rays have had on the field in recent years you just have to wonder whether or not MLB is viable and/or sustainable in that area. Some argue that a new stadium in a better location would help, but that would be a big gamble for the taxpayers, who would likely get tagged with the majority of the bill.

If I were the owner, I would seriously have to be considering moving this franchise by now. North Carolina would be my first choice, because the region is still growing despite the recession and Atlanta has had a monopoly on the southeastern (sans FL) US MLB market for almost 50 years.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 AM

3,017 posts, read 4,860,866 times
It's sad. Perhaps it's due to the large amount of transplants who maintain loyalties to the team they grew up with. I am guilty of this. Being a lifelong Phillies fan who just moved down here in November, I already have tickets for some spring training games.

However, I plan on going to some Rays games. When I lived up north, I went to Orioles games every year. That is because spending a weekend in Baltimore including watching a game at Camden Yards is one hell of a good time and I highly recommend it.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,994,289 times
I know a post like this came up a few months ago. But with the Rays being in the news, glad you brought it back.

I am sure one of the reasons is that most people are from somewhere else. But that doesn't stop me from going a couple of times a year. I would go more, but it really is in a bad location. People from St Pete seem to like it where it is, but you can't make it an afternoon or evening where it is.

I use San Diego as an example. Jack Murphy Stadium was located out in Mission Valley (the Chargers still play there but has a different name now). Baseball draw was terrible. They built one right down in the heart of the city by the Gas Lamp District. Attendence is no longer a problem. People can come in early, get a nice dinner or have some drinks and walk a couple blocks to the game. Other cities this has worked as well are Houston, Arizona, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Seattle, San Francisco just to name a few. Some of these parks are very close to where the old ones were.

At Tropicana Field, you go eat then still have to drive over to the ballpark. It is not a good setup. I have no problem with the facilities there, to me it is about the location. St Pete wants it is stay there for the tax revenue and to complete the lease they signed. Tampa has been trying to get the team. I fear the worst will happen in that St Pete will refuse to let them move to Tampa, then MLB is going to step in and move the team. When we lose it all together, it will be very hard to get a team back down here.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 AM

3,017 posts, read 4,860,866 times
Good point.

In Philly they built this place:

XFINITY Live! :: Home

Even though tailgating is HUGE in Philly, this is a nice alternative. People can go there and eat, drink, and hang out before/after or even during a game. It gives more people the option to "make a day of it" when they have tickets for a game. The place is open every day where there's a game in town or not. I have mixed feelings about it because they demolished my beloved Spectrum to build it, but that's a whole other discussion.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,534,445 times
I plan on moving down there within the next year so I hope they figure out how to maintain their franchise and make it profitable enough to stay! Even though I'm not yet down there, I guess I'd have to agree with the posters who said it's probably due to many being transplants and not having the local home town fever. Coming from New England and being a Boston fan though - with all the crazyness and buzz that goes along with it - I actually would welcome a park that's a bit more low key. I've been to a few other stadiums, a few of them being Petco, Dodgers and Anaheim and it was soooo different - and a nice change of pace.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM

158 posts, read 193,226 times
I could understand poor attendance with a bad team but last year the rays werent bad, yet the attendance was MLB worst. That points at the fans more than anything imo. I havent personally been to the trop so if people say it is horrible then I'll take that as it is...but still, MLB worst attendance..

Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,888,620 times
First off, of course they Rays are going to say the have Faith in the local market. They need the taxpayers to believe they want to be here so we'll buy them a new stadium.

This has been hashed out around here for awhile. As stated, it's a transient town so people follow other teams instead and the location of the Stadium is not the most convenient to have the best attendance.

Do I think if they moved the stadium they would sell out? Sure, at first.... its a new stadium, but attendance would drop again... but be better than currently, IMO. Now, if they build that new Stadium... and are contenders for the first 5 years and win a World Series in that time... I think their attendance woes would be cured, as many transients would develop an interest in their Championship Team after being at their new fancy stadium.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM

99 posts, read 125,491 times
First and foremost, I don't think it's merely a fact that we are to cheap, in fact Rays ticket prices are some of the lowest throughout baseball. So it is more than just ticket prices. Sorry this is going to be long, but I feel these points must be said.

Personally, I believe the problem with the Rays and MLB at it's current location is the following:

Location: It's an overused phrase, but location location location. This is a major problem for the Trop. For one St Petersburg is at the most southern part of a peninsula. So you have water on three sides, limiting people to come from either Pinellas or Hillsborough, most likely people are not going to come from southern Hillsborough on any regular basis because of the Skyway Bridge and incurring toll which is a deterrent to most. Take a look at this radial map of a 30 mile radius from the Trop, note how much of the circle is being taken up by water. (Radius Around a Point on a Map). Than compare it to the radial map of locations in Downtown Tampa (Red) and Fair Grounds (Blue) (Radius Around a Point on a Map). It's a huge difference when it comes to populous who can be reached. When I talk location, I am strictly referring to geographical location not so much location to current infrastructure or other amenities, etc. Which leads me into my next subject, demographics.

Demographics: Another major issue with the location of the Trop is it's location in St. Pete along with Pinellas and their respective demographics. For one, Pinellas County's population has been stagnant for the past 20 years, slowly increasing and decreasing by ~2% every year and in the last census Pinellas actually lost population. Cities or regions losing population is very bad, but I won't get into that. Same thing is happening in St. Pete, it is losing population and long term is otherwise stagnant like it's county, Pinellas. This will likely remain this way, in large part because both the city and county have reached their limits and reach on growth, meaning sprawl has already reached both county and city boundaries. The only thing to go from there is up with density, but they is not happening either.
Meanwhile, in Tampa where the majority of the regions population resides along with Hillsborough County, who both continue to grow at rather fast rates. Tampa alone has 100,000 more people than the City of St. Pete and from the 2010 census to 2011 estimates has added 10,000 more people giving it a nice growth rate of 3.1%. And in Hillsborough it has nearly 300,000 more people than Pinellas has and also has a health growth rate. Those are huge differences, coupled with the fact that some of the fastest growing parts of Tampa and Hillsborough are NE of Tampa, areas like New Tampa, Zephyrhills, Temple Terrace and then there is Brandon SE of Tampa. All of those areas are a significant drive to the Trop easily over an hour with rush hour, and is also a huge deterrent when deciding to go to a game.

I am getting sick of typing, but I will add more to it later. In a very roundabout way of getting to my point, the Rays in order to survive in the region need to come to Tampa.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM

4,822 posts, read 3,476,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Too many transplants still attached to the teams based wherever they came from. That's why Rays fans are usually outnumbered by the oppositions when temas like Detroit, Boston, NY, Chicago, etc. come to town. Florida is an awful place for pro sports franchises because of this. The state is packed with people from other places and the local teams have little or no history to woo them with.

Also, the Trop is an atrocious baseball venue that is tough to get to for much of the Tampa Bay populace. This plays into things as well, but with the success the Rays have had on the field in recent years you just have to wonder whether or not MLB is viable and/or sustainable in that area. Some argue that a new stadium in a better location would help, but that would be a big gamble for the taxpayers, who would likely get tagged with the majority of the bill.

If I were the owner, I would seriously have to be considering moving this franchise by now. North Carolina would be my first choice, because the region is still growing despite the recession and Atlanta has had a monopoly on the southeastern (sans FL) US MLB market for almost 50 years.
Atlanta is an awful sports town, the braves are always in the lower half of attendance last year they average 60% capacity. Any big venue in Pinellas is a bad idea, too much traffic, us19 is full of lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or