Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM

104 posts, read 172,023 times

Advertisements

Best Cities for Successful Aging | Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL

My current metro area ranks #5. So why do so many of us (there) elect to move to Florida in our golden years? Bang for the buck, quality of life, call it what you like, but the the ever spiraling cost of living here coupled with the short summer makes us heed the call to warmer climes. Teachers, cops, railroad employees, double dippers and many others earning hundreds of thousands of dollars year with platinum parachute retirements all on the backs of the taxpayers is reflected in our property taxes.

Be aware people of Florida, who's taxes rise and fall with the economy; here they NEVER go down and compound annually. The pending retirements (with regular cost of living increases) of the nations largest single demographic (yes, us baby boomers) will have to be supported through our tax increases. People where I live pay between $10-25K a year in property taxes today. Using a historical compound model we can expect to be paying between $30-45K a year in taxes in our retirement years. I wonder who will be able to afford to enjoy the benefits of living in the shadow of the the City that Never Sleeps besides the teachers, cops, etc.

So for those of you members who like to knock Fla/TB and wonder why we Northerners are moving down in droves need to understand that we view Florida as not only a climatic paradise but also sound financial decision for the "rest" of our lives.

So take this ranking for what it's worth.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
So if you come-- stay n be a part of it,,, join in... what I see is folks who come and go and do not get integrated in FLORIDA- they want a mini PA or Ohio-Mich- Nebraska, etc.-- Don't want change, don't want to build up, and everything is "NO". They want their paradise to stay status quo... in our state. Miami is changing, TB is trying to change tooth n nail...

Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
Great post Frank. I think you hit the nail on the head.

What I would like to see more of is appreciation for the Snow Birds or transplants. I think there are plenty that understand what they genuinely bring to the area. They buy (or rent from someone that has bought) and pay taxes, normally don't want or need to work (which means they take no jobs), and they want to enjoy themselves. Really EVERY CENT they spend is a bonus for the area. Without these people spending thier hard earned money, city/state Governments would require someone else to pick up the slack.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post

What I would like to see more of is appreciation for the Snow Birds or transplants. I think there are plenty that understand what they genuinely bring to the area. They buy (or rent from someone that has bought) and pay taxes, normally don't want or need to work (which means they take no jobs), and they want to enjoy themselves. Really EVERY CENT they spend is a bonus for the area. Without these people spending thier hard earned money, city/state Governments would require someone else to pick up the slack.
As the guy said on the TV what Florida sells is... Sunshine.. -- I love the tourist, but the 1/2 in 1/2 out, do not want change,

Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM

104 posts, read 172,023 times
No TinyTrump, I'm all in. I am in the process of buying my last (hopefully-I hate moving) home in Pinellas. My family has slowly migrated to Florida. I will be the 5th of 9 in my immediate family. So a relative latecomer as far as they're concerned. Florida has been better to some than others, but nobody ever talks about moving back.
Why would I want to have a mini-wherever? I am attracted to this place because it is different than where I am coming from. It is those very differences that make me believe there is a bright future for the Tampa Bay area and I want to be a part of it. I intend on being a positive contributor to my environment and believe in many instances change can be good but I am not sure exactly what type of changes you are implying....

Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Quote:

Your snow birds don't buy anywhere close to schools so their taxes are actually going to HELP education in any way! So I have ZERO appreciation for snowbirds! The only things that they do is ANNOY. They don't know how to use a map, or a GPS, or get directions before leaving their pads, they can't drive the speed limit posted, and aggravate traffic on every road they're on. How about THEM having some respect to those who LIVE here everyday instead!

Do they spend money on taxes? how does it help public education if they spend money at Golden Corral!??? its not like Golden Corral is donating all proceeds from snowbirds to education or the maintenance of public roads which they have NO problem using WITHOUT paying one tax dollar for! Plus, they are usually clustered in Pinellas somewhere...so...completely irrelevant to Tampa Bay's economy as WHOLE. In Europe we have tourist taxes...so that way when people visit they don't just "TAKE ADVANTAGE" of what we have, they pay for it too....if there is a tax for tourists here it is probably MINUSCULE because if it was large enough we would see it. Why should snowbirds and others take advantage of our state/city/beaches for free and all the burden to maintain it all falls on us, those with low incomes???????? Obviously those who travel are not those making $8! so let's chew on that for a while.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:45 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
Quote:

The argument I always get on the subject, is the cost of medicare, the cost of Soc security....

?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
So in other words, you come here to do nothing (retire), bring nothing, and just store your money safely in our banks so our economy remains stagnant. (since your money won't be circulating) AND When WE want to vote on Public Transit you are the first to knock it down because you "know" from up north it costs money to maintain it??? but you have no problem forcing the rest of us here to be slaves to our cars when gas prices are volatile enough not to be trusted; You have your PLATINUM PENSION to waste on gas! Right?! You don't care...

Why don't you all buy an island somewhere and go there.

This is showing an enormous amount of selfishness when all you come here for is to evade paying taxes, and show complete disregard to the fact that there are people who live here, and who will NEVER retire from living/working HERE all their lives because no one here offers any retirement packages!!!!!! Some of you have no respect for the people in this area trying to run a business, you never want pay for anything, and do not support anyone here unless they offer you stuff for FREE! I've seen it! Thanks.

.....and the title made me laugh ....."successful aging"??? yeah if we count the plastic surgery places in South Tampa alone ran by NY'ers...then yes, some people are going to die wrikleless and will need vaulted ceiling coffins to accommodate for their inflated DDDD's! as if the worms really care about that.......they're probably running for their lives once those silicons explode underground poisoning all of them!

Your ENTITLEMENT/SNOTTY "I am from NY poor me" attitude is what we have a problem with, not you physical act of moving here; because for example out of all the bakeries in NYC you all can't bring one here so you can be useful at least on one end! and by the way....your taxes in NY PALE in comparison with what Europeans usually pay in their taxes! So stop whining! The only difference is that Europeans usually get something in return for paying those taxes...you don't because you don't ask for it! So again: STOP WHINING!

Let me tell you something: IF you don't want to pay taxes, LOBBY your Gov like the NRA and close the subway, and the mass transit, and stop infesting our state with your new found laziness, and lack of contribution to anything of value to our areas! Bring Broadway shows...ohh wait...I forget...those of you who move here have no knowledge of that, you are all "financial/accounting" people without regard for the arts! Give me a break!

What makes you think that people who lived here all their lives deserve less than you for working twice as hard for half the wages??????? where are we going to go to retire and have a "successful aging" experience????
LOL!

Wow. Just wow.

I'm glad this is not the predominant feeling here.

I welcome people with open arms. We transplants bring a lot to the area. If someone doesn't see that, I suggest they open their eyes.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
LOL!

Wow. Just wow.

I'm glad this is not the predominant feeling here.

I welcome people with open arms. We transplants bring a lot to the area. If someone doesn't see that, I suggest they open their eyes.
What did you bring that we don't have? (or bring ourselves) Let's NAME some things!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I saw the trend years ago. I always wondered how they were going to pay for all those public servant retirement packages. Now we have the answer. Taxes. I am glad to have left there almost 25 years ago. Funny thing is a lot of those teachers, cops, railroad employees, double dippers and many others earning hundreds of thousands of dollars year with platinum parachute retirements also live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Coe View Post
Best Cities for Successful Aging | Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL

My current metro area ranks #5. So why do so many of us (there) elect to move to Florida in our golden years? Bang for the buck, quality of life, call it what you like, but the the ever spiraling cost of living here coupled with the short summer makes us heed the call to warmer climes. Teachers, cops, railroad employees, double dippers and many others earning hundreds of thousands of dollars year with platinum parachute retirements all on the backs of the taxpayers is reflected in our property taxes.

Be aware people of Florida, who's taxes rise and fall with the economy; here they NEVER go down and compound annually. The pending retirements (with regular cost of living increases) of the nations largest single demographic (yes, us baby boomers) will have to be supported through our tax increases. People where I live pay between $10-25K a year in property taxes today. Using a historical compound model we can expect to be paying between $30-45K a year in taxes in our retirement years. I wonder who will be able to afford to enjoy the benefits of living in the shadow of the the City that Never Sleeps besides the teachers, cops, etc.

So for those of you members who like to knock Fla/TB and wonder why we Northerners are moving down in droves need to understand that we view Florida as not only a climatic paradise but also sound financial decision for the "rest" of our lives.

So take this ranking for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay