Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Wasn't there a link not too long ago that showed Florida only kept around 50% of their native born residents, while the state was made up of over 70% of people born outside of the Florida borders?
You are confusing 2 different data sets. Florida keeps 66% of it's native born over 18 which is tied for 10th highest of all states. This is not 66% of the total population it is of those born in the state.

The other percentage is the percentage of total population of the state that is native born, this is of course going to be lower with the massive population growth Florida has experienced over the last 30 plus years.

My response was to the poster that said, "Are you aware that many kids leave FL as soon as they graduate college?". I think the Pew Research numbers were adequate to show his statement was untrue.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I think a lot of them are still living with their parents. The work i did while living down there had me entering attics frequently. Most attic accesses are in the garage.I couldn't believe how many garages had been made over for living quarters. Most of them were for kids who should have moved out years ago.
Saw just as many basements made over for aging kids up north that should have moved out.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Saw just as many basements made over for aging kids up north that should have moved out.
Whats that got to do with this thread? A couple of those places were actually up in your neck of the woods.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
You are confusing 2 different data sets. Florida keeps 66% of it's native born over 18 which is tied for 10th highest of all states. This is not 66% of the total population it is of those born in the state.

The other percentage is the percentage of total population of the state that is native born, this is of course going to be lower with the massive population growth Florida has experienced over the last 30 plus years.

My response was to the poster that said, "Are you aware that many kids leave FL as soon as they graduate college?". I think the Pew Research numbers were adequate to show his statement was untrue.
Oh, I've never seen any research that breaks those numbers down by over/under 18.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
I think a lot of them are still living with their parents. The work i did while living down there had me entering attics frequently. Most attic accesses are in the garage.I couldn't believe how many garages had been made over for living quarters. Most of them were for kids who should have moved out years ago.
Most of those kids are still living at home because the economy doesn't permit them to make a living wage on their own.

At least, that's how it was when I left. I'd assume that the economy still being in the toilet only made matters worse, no matter what some of the cheerleaders would like to tell some about the improving economy.

Below the U.S. average, you know...

Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Whats that got to do with this thread? A couple of those places were actually up in your neck of the woods.
The title of the thread was, "Why do so many people HATE Florida??". Are you trying to say that garage conversions are why people hate Florida?
I really didn't think garage conversions had anything to do with the thread I was merely responding to your post.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
The title of the thread was, "Why do so many people HATE Florida??". Are you trying to say that garage conversions are why people hate Florida?
I really didn't think garage conversions had anything to do with the thread I was merely responding to your post.
Funny, I have seen very few garage conversions anywhere I have lived here in my native state. They don't seem to be that common, most people need their garage space.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
FL must be unique and special. People who left can't leave it alone.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
FL must be unique and special. People who left can't leave it alone.
Yes, it is special. I'm a Floridian and transplanted to Dallas with job 35 years ago. I'm back and here to stay in Safety Harbor.

Since this thread is on the hate and joy of Florida, how many have heard the rumbling aircraft the last two nights? I didn't notice the time but definitely after 11:00pm. Each time I was half awake but didn't go outside for a look. I'm guessing it's a chopper and not an itty bitty one. The sound continues for less than a minute and at the time it must be directly overhead it gives the house a shake that I feel through the bed. Anyone else?

I googled for "types of planes and choppers going in and out of MacDill AFB" and the first article is this one:
» Florida Residents Report Mysterious Black Military Aircraft Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Last edited by Dallas Kitty; 03-19-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Yes, it is special. I'm a Floridian and transplanted to Dallas with job 35 years ago. I'm back and here to stay in Safety Harbor.

Since this thread is on the hate and joy of Florida, how many have heard the rumbling aircraft the last two nights? I didn't notice the time but definitely after 11:00pm. Each time I was half awake but didn't go outside for a look. I'm guessing it's a chopper and not an itty bitty one. The sound continues for less than a minute and at the time it must be directly overhead it gives the house a rumble that I feel through the bed. Anyone else?

I googled for "types of planes and choppers going in and out of MacDill AFB" and the first article is this one:
» Florida Residents Report Mysterious Black Military Aircraft Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

You're very near the St Pete-Clearwater airport where CG helicopters are training all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay