Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM

184 posts, read 247,843 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

After doing a lot of research on different areas of Florida and a couple of other cities, I've decided to move to St. Pete's later this year. I know a few people there and they love it, plus others generally seem to like it.

I've been a .NET programmer for 10 years, but i'm really into fitness so i'm currently taking a course to get my personal training certification (NASM). I'm trying to have a few different skills for when I move down there initially so I can look for jobs in a broader range. Ideally i'd like to get my own personal training business going, but I know that takes time.

Anyways, i'm going to be coming down in a few months to look at apartments. Can anyone give me feedback on some decent apartment complexes or areas to look? I'd like to get something nice around $1000/mo or less, 1 bedroom is fine with a pool and hopefully a garage. I have a cat. Being reasonably close to the beach and nightlife would be great. I'm 32, no kids, fairly recently singe, in great shape, love the beach, love humidity. Coming from Ohio.

Thanks,
-Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,031,439 times
Jay, look into getting your AFAA credentials also.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 PM

184 posts, read 247,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Jay, look into getting your AFAA credentials also.
Any reasoning behind it or just good from a learning perspective? I plan on getting a couple of different ones. I wanted to knock out one of the big 3 first (ACSM, NASM, NSCA). Went with NASM because it's the only one that doesn't need a 4 year degree for their advanced courses.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,031,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUbrew View Post
Any reasoning behind it or just good from a learning perspective? I plan on getting a couple of different ones. I wanted to knock out one of the big 3 first (ACSM, NASM, NSCA). Went with NASM because it's the only one that doesn't need a 4 year degree for their advanced courses.
I've got two AFAA (step aerobics and personal trainer) and I'm STOTT Pilates reformer certified instructor. AFAA always seems to open the most doors. They are the largest fitness association in the world.

Back in the 1990s when I got my first step certification, the cruise lines would only take AFAA.

Mostly, what I learned about kinesiology was mind blowing and I am still able to apply it to pretty much anything. My college biology classes were easier than my first AFAA certification. AFAA built my foundation and even though I'm not longer a teaching professional, it still spills out into every aspect of my life.

If you are wanting to change careers, and say be a trainer for the Bucs or the Rays, absolutely follow ACSM but you'll probably need to get your bachelors in the field along with. If you just want to be a personal trainer, it's way overkill. Like shooting a fly with a rifle.

Anyway, YMMV and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay