Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its the private guy who is likely to want to correct faults that may or may not need correction.
He gets his $30 state fee for the inspection and whatever else he can cajole out of the owner.

Some people do feel that more government controls in their lives is good as it is good for everybody then.
So how do you think that would work? Would they have to create state owned/run inspection stations? How would those get funded initially? Where will they find all the facilities they need, in enough locations to work?

In Massachusetts, where we lived for quite some time, they had private businesses (usually gas stations) with the equipment to do inspections as well. The inspections were regulated by the state, but the state did not own the businesses. We had probably about 40 inspections there with all the vehicles we owned, plus the amount of years, and not once were talked into repairs in order to get the inspection sticker. They simply did the inspection and collected the fees. It was far cheaper for the state to pay the gas station owners a cut of the fee, rather than having to actually own and run inspection stations themselves.

For what it's worth....I am in favor of mandatory inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
So how do you think that would work? Would they have to create state owned/run inspection stations? How would those get funded initially? Where will they find all the facilities they need, in enough locations to work?

In Massachusetts, where we lived for quite some time, they had private businesses (usually gas stations) with the equipment to do inspections as well. The inspections were regulated by the state, but the state did not own the businesses. We had probably about 40 inspections there with all the vehicles we owned, plus the amount of years, and not once were talked into repairs in order to get the inspection sticker. They simply did the inspection and collected the fees. It was far cheaper for the state to pay the gas station owners a cut of the fee, rather than having to actually own and run inspection stations themselves.

North Carolina does it the same way and it works fine. I never had a problem with the inspectors trying to sell me something I didn't need. The last thing they want is to have customers complaining to the state.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
North Carolina does it the same way and it works fine. I never had a problem with the inspectors trying to sell me something I didn't need. The last thing they want is to have customers complaining to the state.
Exactly. It's not difficult to do, it has been proven to work and we can make the roads safer by ensure cars are safe enough to actually be on the road.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
How what would work? Some states that had inspections had state owned/operated locations. Others, like NY for instance, farmed the work out to garages who were "qualified" to be an official state inspection station. Again, states dropped the programs as soon as they could do without loosing federal money for highways.

It is the nature of business to "up sell" any chance you can. Thus a car in for an inspection may be a good customer for new tires, a new fan belt, windshield wipers, etc.

Quote:

Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
It is the nature of business to "up sell" any chance you can. Thus a car in for an inspection may be a good customer for new tires, a new fan belt, windshield wipers, etc.
Odd how that never happened with Not_Liking_Florida and never happened with me either.....

Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM

I guess those NYC shops were better salesmen.

Quote:
Odd how that never happened with Not_Liking_Florida and never happened with me either.....

Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,505 times
Quote:

Quote:
"Up selling" was often an issue in the Dallas area. It's highly aggravating when the station/shop rips off your current sticker before telling you the car needs repair. They're not supposed to do that but they will. The most agreeable place I found before leaving Dallas was a car wash in Plano that also did inspections.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Where can you show that it has been proven to work when states decided to drop them because they were proven not to work?

Quote:
Exactly. It's not difficult to do, it has been proven to work and we can make the roads safer by ensure cars are safe enough to actually be on the road.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM

I would think that this would be a wide spread practice. It is very common in most businesses.
That rip off the sticker thing sounds like a rip off, no pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
"Up selling" was often an issue in the Dallas area. It's highly aggravating when the station/shop rips off your current sticker before telling you the car needs repair. They're not supposed to do that but they will. The most agreeable place I found before leaving Dallas was a car wash in Plano that also did inspections.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Where can you show that it has been proven to work when states decided to drop them because they were proven not to work?
In Massachusetts, where we lived for decades. They didn't drop them, because they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay