Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM

19 posts, read 65,239 times

Advertisements

I have a husband and 2 boys, 7 and 11, I currently live on Long Island, NY. I am a pharmacist and both me and my husband have jobs lined up, but my mom and 6 siblings all live here on Long Island. I love Tam
pa, lived here before. This will be my final move. I will buy a house in Tampa and will settle there. But I am terrified to
move away family. I have no family in Tampa. Is moving away from family a mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
99% of the time its ok but every now and then when things are sucking and you just want to hang out with your family (mom or whoever) and cant, that sucks.. I think its just important to make sure you leave money in your budget to go visit often and its ok.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I decided I wasn't going to live someplace where my wife and I weren't having the best life we could just for the sake of living near other people, be it family, friends, whatever. When I moved, I gave everyone an open invitation to visit. I've got a career. My parents are retired, there is nothing keeping them from taking a trip to come come visit. Other family members I have are teachers who have 3 months off a year. They can easily come visit too.

My door is open. I bought a house with two more bedrooms than we need. The welcome mat is out. I'll keep the light on for you, etc, etc, etc.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM

213 posts, read 659,784 times
If it is what you want go for it. Family can visit, I like the idea of having a spare room so family can stay with you. And, with all the discounted travel sites and frequent flyer plans you can find deals for flights. Family is important , but you have to live for you. And of course with social media, and with face time etc, etc it is easier to keep up with family using technology. Go with your heart!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:00 PM

143 posts, read 241,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You already asked this same question in your other thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...situation.html

Honestly, it is starting to sound like you are making a huge mistake if you have to keep asking over and over.
Or she's just looking for extra reassurance on a life changing decision.....

Tercsi1, It's hard leaving family, I just recently moved her from Canada myself. Having jobs lined up is a big thing though not what you're asking. Like Tim mentioned, there will be times where you miss them and wonder if you made the right decision but it passes. It's a transition thing. Keep and open door policy and especially since you're coming here from the cold NE you'll probably find a steady stream of visitors - especially if they have a place to stay. I'm doing like what HWTechGuy did and am getting a place with a couple extra bedrooms. Our house won't be built until april and we are already booking up!

If here is where you and your family (meaning husband and kids) want to be, and you already have the essentials worked out with jobs and housing, then what's holding you back? The rest of it will sort itself out. There will be a mutual benefit... they have a warm place to escape to whenever they want and you have a place to go when you want to see snow for a week or enjoy the fall colors.

just my 2cents

Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Nothing to worry about in Florida. Really. Nothing unusual here.

Gregory Matthew Bruni, Naked Intruder, Pooped And Masturbated In Tony Lands' Florida Home: Cops

Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 AM

104 posts, read 172,023 times
Stop second guessing yourself. I too realize you posed this question before in one (or two) other threads. Its understandable. Change, including a big move can be scary. Your boys will become cemented wherever they live soon. This will make any future move more difficult. The time to move is now! Everyone (except BucFan-lol) is giving you good advice. You bring your skills and education here which will make the transition that much easier. It seems jobs are the hardest hurdle to overcome.

My family too is a multicultural unit (including an 11 year old) and while that in and of itself is becoming commonplace, the Tampa Bay area seems to be a quite a melting pot. Not so much on LI (we currently live in extreme NW Suffolk) according to my wife, who says I don't notice because I m a white male...

That aside, there is one thing that I do notice and a trend that has become increasingly and alarmingly clear; the quality of life on Long Island is going downhill. I have lived there for the last 20 years, previously from NYC. There still are redeeming qualities but if I look back and then 10-20 years down the line, I don't like what I see (but that is for another thread). Simply said, LI isn't giving me the bang for the buck I'll get in Tampa Bay area.

So I am taking my own advice and taking the plunge! We bought a place and are moving down this summer. I have to do what's right for my family long term. I made the right decision for mine. It's up to you to make the decision for yours.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times
Good move Frank. I was born and raised on Long Island, Plainedge then Baldwin to be specific. When I joined the military I realized I would never return, that was in 1990 and havent but to visit. We currently live in Germany but will be returning soon (kids are getting in High School) and was trying to make DC work so I could be close to family MD, NJ, NY, Mass but realized much like you are saying, they can come visit and make sure the house has a room for them, lol.

Best of luck coming to peace OP.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Coe View Post
That aside, there is one thing that I do notice and a trend that has become increasingly and alarmingly clear; the quality of life on Long Island is going downhill.
What about Long Island has changed during this time that might be driving the quality of life downhill? Have they adopted a different style of government or economics? Are the people different? Has the geography been altered by natural disaster or human activity?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Nothing to worry about in Florida. Really. Nothing unusual here.

Gregory Matthew Bruni, Naked Intruder, Pooped And Masturbated In Tony Lands' Florida Home: Cops
I didn't think you posted non-positive things on this forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay