Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that many will say the beach and swimming, but I'm wondering what other activities everyone enjoys.

I know once I'm down there, I would like to take up kayaking and take some sea kayaking lessons. I'd also love to try parasailing at least once. And I'm really looking forward to checking out the many neighborhood parks down there. Also, I've never had the pleasure of getting to do workouts on the beach. They're up here but I'd have to travel at least 30 minutes south of me which would be insane given my already one hour commute to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I golf or play tennis almost every day. I have access to a really nice pool that I need to visit more often. Probably not the answer that you were looking for (as far as exotic tropic outdoor stuff to do).

Be careful about the parasailing stuff. I don't believe they're required to be licensed and not every outfit is as safe as they need to be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/us...tion.html?_r=0

Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I golf or play tennis almost every day. I have access to a really nice pool that I need to visit more often. Probably not the answer that you were looking for (as far as exotic tropic outdoor stuff to do).

Be careful about the parasailing stuff. I don't believe they're required to be licensed and not every outfit is as safe as they need to be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/us...tion.html?_r=0
Oh no no, your answer is yours and I like hearing whatever interests people. When I visited my best friend back in September (Tallahassee), I spent ALOT of time at their pool, it was heaven, and such a treat. When I'm finally ready to move, I'm torn between renting a house/small apartment building (my preference) or rent in a complex because the complexes have the nice pool.

I love tennis, never played competitively and my bf likes golf. That's the thing about living somewhere year 'round where it's warm, you don't have to cram in everything in 4 or 5 months.

And THANK YOU for the advice on the parasailing. I didn't realize about the licensing so that is good to know!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
That's the thing about living somewhere year 'round where it's warm, you don't have to cram in everything in 4 or 5 months.
That is not entirely true. Playing tennis in 90+ degrees plus humidity may not be a good idea. You will have to adapt the summer months accordingly to avoid having a heat stroke right when you don't expect it. The outdoors time in the summer here is not for everyone. So just be careful. We only go out very early in the morning when its not raining for 3 weeks at at a time!

We are theme park, and beach ppl. We go to parks as well...or natural preserves, botanic gardens, and we escape to North Carolina whenever we have an opportunity to break the heat cycle a bit, and go for hikes in the mountains there.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That is not entirely true. Playing tennis in 90+ degrees plus humidity may not be a good idea. You will have to adapt the summer months accordingly to avoid having a heat stroke right when you don't expect it. The outdoors time in the summer here is not for everyone. So just be careful. We only go out very early in the morning when its not raining for 3 weeks at at a time!

We are theme park, and beach ppl. We go to parks as well...or natural preserves, botanic gardens, and we escape to North Carolina whenever we have an opportunity to break the heat cycle a bit, and go for hikes in the mountains there.
Oh, I can understand that about not being able to play anything in the high heat. It has been that up here and no one wants to play softball or much of anything. But the change for me will be that when it's too hot to be active outdoors, I can at least enjoy either swimming, taking a walk somewhere, or at the very least, peaking out my air-conditioned home to *look* at the sunshine. . Even if it's raining, still better than cold and snow.

That's a great idea going to North Carolina. Never been to either of the Carolina's. That is one thing I will miss is the mountains. I assume you fly when you go?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
beach n fishing---- fishing and beach..

Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times
Quote:
I'm sure that many will say the beach and swimming, but I'm wondering what other activities everyone enjoys.

I know once I'm down there, I would like to take up kayaking and take some sea kayaking lessons. I'd also love to try parasailing at least once. And I'm really looking forward to checking out the many neighborhood parks down there. Also, I've never had the pleasure of getting to do workouts on the beach. They're up here but I'd have to travel at least 30 minutes south of me which would be insane given my already one hour commute to work.
Basically I like riding through the Pasco and Hernando hills. It gives the area a mountainous feeling that other cities in Florida don't have besides Orlando or the panhandle areas.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Basically I like riding through the Pasco and Hernando hills. It gives the area a mountainous feeling that other cities in Florida don't have besides Orlando or the panhandle areas.
Oooh, I like the sounds of that

Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
I love tennis, never played competitively and my bf likes golf. That's the thing about living somewhere year 'round where it's warm, you don't have to cram in everything in 4 or 5 months.
You got that right.

I am an outdoors person, as long as it is not cold. I spend as much time as I can outside when it is in the 70's to 105. I also like it when it is humid. That's what makes Tampa Bay so great for me.

I love biking and nature trail walks....among many other things.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM

472 posts, read 547,716 times
I've been doing more biking now that we've just moved and it's close to Pinellas bike trail. Another month or so I'll be able to get my Florida resident fishing license and it'll be fishing time. Then after that kayak+fishing but that's going to cut into beach time. Already scoped out some nice camping areas in Ft Desoto. So much fun, so little time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay