U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM

29 posts, read 103,416 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've been reading a bunch of threads today about Tampa in light of the news that my husband is going to be stationed there starting in August of this year. We are moving from Arizona and I have lived in the desert all my life so I'm not sure what to expect from beach living.

We are a young couple, both of us are under 30 and we have two kids ages 9 and 5. We do Crossfit and eat really clean so I would like to be near local restaurants (not chains) and grocery stores that support healthy eating like Whole Foods. Obviously we would like a safe neighborhood with good schools but we would also like where we live to have an almost artsy feel. We would like to be in close proximity to shopping and things like that. I don't want to live in surburbia far from civilization. Also we need a short commute for my husband who will be working on base. Coming from the desert we would love to live near the beach as well. Tall order I'm sure but I'm hoping that all you helpful people will point me in the direction of a neighborhood that would suit our needs.

What I have gathered so far in the threads is that South Tampa and St. Petersburg are ideal areas for those commuting to the base. Do I have that right? But what about the other things on my list? Are there any cute/family oriented/artsy neighborhoods out there in St. Petersburg? It seems that St. Petersburg is favored in the threads as far as being less "big box" than Tampa is.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM

552 posts, read 614,354 times
The general consensus seems to be old northeast in st pete or south tampa north of gandy or the most desirble places to live in each city. I honestly have no idea what people mean when they say artsy, but south tampa has plenty of non chain restaurants, especially in the hyde park area.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM

Thank you for responding! I really don't know what artsy means either, it's just hard to describe what I mean. I love downtown in my city, it has tons of galleries, local boutiques, cool local restaurants and coffee shops.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,222,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionafrances View Post
Hello! I've been reading a bunch of threads today about Tampa in light of the news that my husband is going to be stationed there starting in August of this year. We are moving from Arizona and I have lived in the desert all my life so I'm not sure what to expect from beach living.

We are a young couple, both of us are under 30 and we have two kids ages 9 and 5. We do Crossfit and eat really clean so I would like to be near local restaurants (not chains) and grocery stores that support healthy eating like Whole Foods. Obviously we would like a safe neighborhood with good schools but we would also like where we live to have an almost artsy feel. We would like to be in close proximity to shopping and things like that. I don't want to live in surburbia far from civilization. Also we need a short commute for my husband who will be working on base. Coming from the desert we would love to live near the beach as well. Tall order I'm sure but I'm hoping that all you helpful people will point me in the direction of a neighborhood that would suit our needs.

What I have gathered so far in the threads is that South Tampa and St. Petersburg are ideal areas for those commuting to the base. Do I have that right? But what about the other things on my list? Are there any cute/family oriented/artsy neighborhoods out there in St. Petersburg? It seems that St. Petersburg is favored in the threads as far as being less "big box" than Tampa is.

Any help would be appreciated!

Really depends on your husbands' rank and his housing allowance. If his allowance is high, you might afford South Tampa.

In my opinion, I'd recommend living on base if that option is available. You're only a few miles from Bayshore Blvd and Hyde Park (artsy) and you're much more safer there and his commute is zilch. The homes seem very nice from what I can see (I'm on MacDill every month or so to golf and use the facilities - BX, Commissary).

Its really hard to get a feel for where would be the best place for your family. Since you have school-aged children, a top priority would seem to be to move near good schools.

You can always commute into areas with culture/artsy feel to it as well as to beaches.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,996,569 times
I lived on base only a couple of times over my career and enjoyed it. I heard it was a 6 month plus wait for base housing here at MacDill, but that was a while ago.

OP: Like Bucsfan mentioned, your housing allowance I would guess will determine where you choose to live. The website militarybyowner.com also shows rental properties. Looks like the majority are in the Riverview, Valrico, Lithia area which give you access to the Leroy Selmon expressway. A variety of prices, might want to have a look.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM

Many of the base homes were newly built - but might be Field Grade or above.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the responses! We have decided to live on base. He hasn't received his hard copy of his orders yet and I have also heard that the wait list is 6 months for Macdill so I am hoping we can get on the list as soon as he gets the hard coy. i hope it comes soon because I am itching to get everything in order. This is our first PCS so I'm pretty clueless to the whole process but I have been trying to do all the research I can.

Does anyone know if there are any Food Co-Ops in Tampa? We just became members at our local co-op and I would like to continue membership when we move.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM

food co-ops

Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM

more info can be found in this previous thread

New Westchase resident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or