Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,247,251 times

Advertisements

The "suburbs" shouldn't be a priority? And you wonder why this will continue to be voted off? This is where MOST ppl who work around DT live!!!!! The ppl who work dt dont all live in South Tampa or in crack town on Florida/Nebraska avenues!!!

What else is immediate to DT exactly?

We will continue to rely on cars precisely because the "suburbs" are not a priority! That is actually quite insulting! In Europe I lived in a suburb at one point and I had:
1. Bus
2. Trolley
3. Light rail
4. Maxi Taxi (a larger/15 ppl capacity van that would stop anywhere you needed in between bus stops)
5. Metro/Subway
6. Regular Taxis

All if which came within 5 minutes of each other! Please don't tell me how PT works, I used it in many forms for 27 years!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM

99 posts, read 145,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Do you know if there is a plan to connect Tampa to St. Pete/Pinellas by LRT? If so, do you have a map?
There is a plan, I have not drawn up a map yet, but I will work on that. However, there is a transit study currently being done involving the replacement of the Howard Frankland Bridge (I-275) which is going to eventually have rail integrated into it that will connect Hillsborough with Pinellas. That study can be found here: Howard Frankland Bridge Study ~ Project Details

Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM

Park and Ride has to be the dumbest thing ever! Why would you bother taking the car out, drive it a mile to ride the rail? It is a waste if time & gas!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Actually light rail can go up Dale Mabry from Kennedy blvd all the way to Connerton in Land O Lakes!
It could also run down Hillsborough Avenue...and all other major hwy's, like SR-54, US-19 etc. ALL the streets meeting up to these larger arteries would have buses, electric buses that is to keep pollution down, bringing people from the subdivision entrances to the rail station! BELIEVE ME...It is very doable...what is not that doable is finding people to implement it, and keep it clear from homeless and robbers. If they come timed every 10 minutes, they would be very successful. If they made stops by all shopping plaza's and have over pass connections over these shopping plaza it would work extremely well.

But again, people get stuck on "taxes" etc...and it will never get done.
ThinkTank: read that post again, and again, and again......

Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,840,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Density, TXRyan23.

Please note my points about the progressive design of rail transit. You start with the city population centers, points of business and travel, then you build out as needed. That's what nearly every city with an active transit base has done. They didn't serve the entire community to start, but they built toward a wider goal.

The proposed rail maps target the areas with the greatest density to start, then extend outward to serve additional areas.

This isn't intended to be a suburb commuter train. It's a city transit system for local commuters. Using the Chicago example again, they have two active systems-- the CTA which services the city and the Metra rail which services suburban commuters.
How many cities that have mass transit systems have a city population of less than 500,000 people?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Park and Ride has to be the dumbest thing ever! Why would you bother taking the car out, drive it a mile to ride the rail? It is a waste if time & gas!
I can see the logic of driving a mile to a park and ride to go 20-30 miles, it's cheaper than gas and you don't have to deal with traffic.

However, not everyone will be within a mile of a park and ride. What about people that commute to places like USF, Downtown, or Westshore that live in say... Brandon, Plant City, Valrico, Town and Country, Citrus Park, ect, ect ?

They won't be within a mile's drive of a park and ride because those spots are too far away from the city.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I can see the logic of driving a mile to a park and ride to go 20-30 miles, it's cheaper than gas and you don't have to deal with traffic.

However, not everyone will be within a mile of a park and ride. What about people that commute to places like USF, Downtown, or Westshore that live in say... Brandon, Plant City, Valrico, Town and Country, Citrus Park, ect, ect ?

They won't be within a mile's drive of a park and ride because those spots are too far away from the city.
If I start driving, I'm not stopping until I get where I'm going. I am sorry, i cannot justify getting into a slower vehicle, and taking double the time to get somewhere.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
If I start driving, I'm not stopping until I get where I'm going. I am sorry, i cannot justify getting into a slower vehicle, and taking double the time to get somewhere.
I sometimes drive over an hour each way into downtown Houston. I prefer to listen to my radio and collect my random thoughts while I drive. I love to drive though. I rode the trains in Dallas and Nashville and they were okay though. I still prefer to drive.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,327,897 times
I think the rail would be hard to sustain but also would raise the quality of life and more importantly would make the place more attractive for the tech/science educated and entrepreneurs.

Also would make the region seem more attractive for hosting large events.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I sometimes drive over an hour each way into downtown Houston. I prefer to listen to my radio and collect my random thoughts while I drive. I love to drive though. I rode the trains in Dallas and Nashville and they were okay though. I still prefer to drive.
I drive all week, for kids, for work, and I can't even imagine how would I ever be able to use PT/LR in my daily routines/jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay