Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:10 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,560,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoUSF View Post
According to this report from 2010 numbers, 35% of Florida residents were actually born in the state. So given the 2010 census numbers of 18,802,690 that equates to 6,580,941.5 people that are currently Florida residents and were born in the state. So it's probably top 10 nationwide in terms of amount of people actually staying, just because of FL's large population base, but percentage wise we are bottom 5.

We're Only Slightly Less Transient Than Florida and Nevada: DCist
The numbers I was going off were the percentage over the age of 18 ,66% for Florida,who still resided in their state of birth. Interactive: Sticky States | Pew Social & Demographic Trends The study is a little older but when you figure the large number that move to Florida yearly, the number over the age of 18 that still reside there is more of a telling number than using all ages. Of course just my view, some may think that children who don't have the choice of their own should also be counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'd love to read that study if you have a link to it, Mike..
Interactive: Sticky States | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,849,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The numbers I was going off were the percentage over the age of 18 ,66% for Florida,who still resided in their state of birth. Interactive: Sticky States | Pew Social & Demographic Trends The study is a little older but when you figure the large number that move to Florida yearly, the number over the age of 18 that still reside there is more of a telling number than using all ages. Of course just my view, some may think that children who don't have the choice of their own should also be counted.
People often get anal on these forums about statistics, so the official statistics should be counted. You can prove any point you want to make when you start skewing them.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Maybe I'm reading that wrong...

but how can 66% of the population have been born in Florida and remained, and 70.1% of the population also have been born in another state?

I'm not a mathematical person AT ALL, but isn't that 136.1% of the population?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:

but how can 66% of the population have been born in Florida and remained, and 70.1% of the population also have been born in another state?

The percent born and still living in the state are only the percentage that were born in the state. If they were born elsewhere yet live there they are not counted. These are percentages of 2 different numbers not a percentage of a whole.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
People often get anal on these forums about statistics, so the official statistics should be counted. You can prove any point you want to make when you start skewing them.
They are both good statistics, I think counting those that have a decision on where they live over those that live where their parents want to live is more telling but that is just my opinion.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM

420 posts, read 860,958 times
Quote:

Yea it does come off a bit confusing at first. Read it this way: 70.1% of the population was born in another state. Of the 29.9% that were born in FL, 66.0% still live here (and 34.0% have left). Hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The percent born and still living in the state are only the percentage that were born in the state. If they were born elsewhere yet live there they are not counted. These are percentages of 2 different numbers not a percentage of a whole.
Okay, at any rate, it says a lot that over 70% of residents in the state of Florida were born in another state (according to the survey on the left)

I can't claim to know of everyone in state, but I've met more Floridians in Nashville and Houston than I knew while living in the Tampa Bay area.

I can't go a single day without seeing Florida plates parked outside of businesses and homes all over the metro Houston area.

I'm not saying anyone's stats are right or wrong, I've never seen them before, but I was under the impression that, based on my experiences and the transient state of the state of Florida, that natives in the state was pretty low.

You'll find this ironic, I'm signed up with a job locator service (always trying to trade up in my career), I was forwarded information yesterday about a position with the Florida Department of Revenues, guess where the office was located? 1415 N. Loop West, STE 1190 Houston, TX 77008.

I couldn't help but sit there and chuckle.. I told my friend that was sitting there with me that "I guess EVERYONE wants to relocate to Texas"

Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,179,305 times
Quote:

According to the link above of 2005 to 2007, residents that were born in this state are 29.9%(=100 - 70.1). And this 29.9% constitutes 66% of all Floridian that are living currently in the United States. So, you would have to really parse out to see what the data means.

In fact, if it were me I wouldn't use these data to measure stability or transient behavior. I would have look at the turn over (how long on average people stick in a given state). Florida is simply overwhelmed by out of state people (70% it according to the 2005 study) so what ever happen to the remaining 29.9%, doesn't really support the stability as one would like to put it.

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 02-24-2013 at 06:11 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,179,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Yea it does come off a bit confusing at first. Read it this way: 70.1% of the population was born in another state. Of the 29.9% that were born in FL, 66.0% still live here (and 34.0% have left). Hope this helps.
No. the 29.9% who live here now are 66% percent of the total Floridian in US. In other words, of the 100% floridian, 66% of them stay here and that happen to account 29.9% of the total Floridian living here now (2005).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay