Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You sure are hung up on $8.00 an hour jobs. Are you still an entry level person who would only be offered $8.00 for your skills? If so, your problem is not the jobs in Florida, its your ability to earn more than $8.00 an hour.
I'm actually in college right now and shifted my focus to energy. I was offered a job at Halliburton last week in Administration with a starting salary of $40k but turned it down so that I can finish my degree. When I graduate in December, I should start at around $65k.

No, I'm not an "entry level" person that you so love to degrade on these forums.

I'm not taking the bait today, Spring Hillian. Have yourself a wonderful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Very good. $65k a year out of college. I guess you have some experience in the field for an employer to pay someone that amount.

I am certainly not degrading "entry level" people. I just get ill when I see complaints that they can't get more than an $8.00 an hour job due to lack of experience.

Also, a good day to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'm actually in college right now and shifted my focus to energy. I was offered a job at Halliburton last week in Administration with a starting salary of $40k but turned it down so that I can finish my degree. When I graduate in December, I should start at around $65k.

No, I'm not an "entry level" person that you so love to degrade on these forums.

I'm not taking the bait today, Spring Hillian. Have yourself a wonderful day.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 AM

40 posts, read 67,737 times
Priush8er: I have been following your posts because they are very interesting to me. I hope to move to Tampa Bay area within the year. I am a childless, middle-aged woman with no family. Can you recommend a few neighborhoods for me? I will probably rent. I need safety because I am alone, and I will be working as a nurse.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingalloveragain View Post
Priush8er: I have been following your posts because they are very interesting to me. I hope to move to Tampa Bay area within the year. I am a childless, middle-aged woman with no family. Can you recommend a few neighborhoods for me? I will probably rent. I need safety because I am alone, and I will be working as a nurse.

I would definately not "follow" someone's posts.......you may only be "hearing what you want to hear" so to speak.....

Following the entire thread will provide a more balanced view of positives AND negatives so you can make an informed decision......

Also, advise about Florida can vary widely depending on how long someone has lived there......

Florida is one of those places (any "vacation" destination) that people will experience a "honeymoon phase" more severely or for a longer duration than other places that don't have that "vacation/paradise" feel to them.....

Again, the body of the entire thread will provide the best and most accurate info for your consideration.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I've thought about coming back, usually those thoughts are wiped away when I login to places like Careerbuilder and Monster and see jobs paying $8.00/hr.

Please don't place words, thoughts, and actions into my mouth. I use TX as an example because both states are fairly close in population and both are viewed as two of the largest states in the country with somewhat similar population trends. Plus I have experience with both. I don't need to "reinforce" my decision to relocate here. I enjoy our economy, cost of living, and political climate. If I were forced to relocate again, I would likely choose several states over Florida, such as Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, and Oklahoma.

Like you said, "there are those who would rather be some where else and they, for their own valid reasons, should be there and be happy there."

I'd also like to add that any stats or polls can be used and twisted to make any point. It's especially fun when you and Mike pick and choose which ones you want to believe, especially when it's from a reliable source.
Holy cow! We like all the same states.

But I do love me some Florida the most.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingalloveragain View Post
You will need to provide more detail on what you like, dislike and where you think you will be traveling to. There are so many great places to live. Personally, I favor the 611/East Lake Road/McMullen Booth corridor from Gulf to Bay up to Keystone (just googlemaps that). However that is "MY" preference and it certainly is not the only place to be. Given your sex, age and childless status, one option may be the town of Safety Harbor. Great location, tons to do, pretty safe, lots of people to meet walking about at the local shops & events and very unique. We considered it ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay